Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: HurricaneDorian

Options
13»

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    booksw said:

Going to cook four racks of St. Louis ribs tomorrow, that were meant for a family gathering.

#boardingupthehouse. We are getting ready to do that too... (board up the house- I have a pork shoulder cooking and some wings dry brining in the fridge)
    Need a place to stay?I have beds.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    "My butt would be puckered up if I lived in Florida.  Meteorologists can rarely correctly forecast if it’s going to rain tomorrow. I dang sure wouldn’t trust a predicted northernly turn with my life."

Truth.

Also, I have to wonder how much will be left of the Abacos.  We've been to Marsh Harbour, Hopetown, etc.  There's not a lot there that is 15 feet above sea level, and outside of a couple of resorts, the construction didn't seem to be of the highest quality.  Much of it won't withstand the 24 hour beating of 140+ winds that it has been subjected to.
    This is spot on. "the construction did not seem to be of the highest quality" is a very polite and kind observation.

One of the homes we rented, and by my observation, perhaps one of the better built homes of that area, would groan and creak at the slightest of ocean breezes.

There are so many people living in shacks, and many of the local business structures were about the same.

We woke one morning after a rain storm, pretty hefty, I might add, to water lapping up through the floor. Adequate drainage is practically non existent where we were.

I can't imagine what a C5 would do to the Bahamas. I would think most structures are gone, certainly all the roofs, at the very least. 

I hope there has been a massive change since my last visit in the quality of construction.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Hope town is gone. Hope town harbour lodge collapsed. Sea spray resort reduced to pilings. Abacos is a complete disaster. Marsh Harbour took a beating too
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited September 2019
    Options
    !

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I've never been to that part of the Bahamas, but have been to several spots in the BVI that got flattened by Irma and also to many parts of Puerto Rico that got flattened by Maria.  It made me sick to know those places before the storms and to see them after.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    FWIW, ABC in Miami is doing some great coverage online.

XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    You have to get a premium subscription, or watch commercials, but as someone who owns some east coast property, this site has become very interesting to me.  There are options for live cameras at a variety of each coast Florida beaches.

And it's definitely a great way to let some time pass...

https://www.surfline.com/surf-report/flagler-ave-/5842041f4e65fad6a7708a96

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Been off the forum for a couple days what with Dorian prep and all, but this was a nice way to end the evening after putting almost everything where it belongs, instead of the shed or storage area behind the screened porch.
    Still need to clean the shade sails and put them back up. And we didn't lose power this time around.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • thetrim
    Options
    @SamIAm2 What is harder:

Dorian Prep

Or

Sunshine State Eggfest Prep
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Dorian, because I'm the only one doing the prep and put back. 

Didn't help that I spent the two weeks before Dorian helping my neighbor fix his flat roof and beef up his gable ends to strengthen them and pass inspection, and remove/replace rotten boards on the gable ends before he has his shingle roof replaced with metal, thanks to earlier hail damage. Retirement is a great way to make up for not being in the workforce, at least the way I'm doing it. :o

Also, Sunshine State Eggfest is ONLY prep and done by more folks. =) 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • thetrim
    Options
    You work your a$$ off in both scenarios!  Nice job!  You deserve some Crydermans!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95