Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: HurricaneDorian

Options
People who live from Orlando Florida North through Georgia need to pay attention to this. Currently forecasted to hit just North of Orlando as a Catagory 3.

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Well I always wanted to see if Disney World would glow in the dark. Might be a bit much for our Florida and Georgia Eggers though.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Supposed to head out for Tybee Island for the weekend......on standby at this point.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Another example of the news getting everyone worked up for nothing. People are already swarming the stores for supplies and the damn thing is barely a cat 1.

I've lived in FL my whole life and it never stops amazing me how people react to these things. 
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Just went to our local warehouse BJs for regular home supplies .. already out of water .. we still don't know for sure whether this will further veer north east and miss us here in Central Florida altogether . but I guess the news channels get people worked up and everyone panics .. gas was $2.28 yesterday .. today it is $2.39 .. probably go up in the next 2 days.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    This is my weather wonk and when he says one should start preparing I jump to.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    half the shutters up today, the rest tomorrow.  No need to rush the stores, we're stocked with water and food.  Do need to look at gassing the cars.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    I'm set to fly out to ABQ next Monday.  Dangit if this isn't likely to mess with my flights.  Oh well.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Ground zero Mar a Lago?
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    Just went to our local warehouse BJs for regular home supplies .. already out of water .. we still don't know for sure whether this will further veer north east and miss us here in Central Florida altogether . but I guess the news channels get people worked up and everyone panics .. gas was $2.28 yesterday .. today it is $2.39 .. probably go up in the next 2 days.
    Bringing my daughter home from Santa Cruz which is north of the Monterey Bay to Orange County.   I made the mistake of stopping for gas in Big Sur two weeks ago. $5.75 a gallon. Regular gas around here is around  $3.40 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • SurfingEgg321
    SurfingEgg321 Posts: 55
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I'm in Melbourne FL, and most projections have it coming ashore here... I don't believe we have ever had a direct hit, so this will be interesting.
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    Why don't people just fill containers with tap water? It's like bottled water becomes some kind of magical elixir.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Why don't people just fill containers with tap water? It's like bottled water becomes some kind of magical elixir.
    If you lived where I live,  you would most certainly not be doing that.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • speed51133
    Options
    Is there something in Midland, TX we should know about???

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Yeah, our water sucks.  We moved here in 81 from Dallas where the water was good.  I filled up my glass of water from the sink and you couldn't see through it.  It has gotten better.  We occasionally cook with it, but definitely don't drink it.  The water is really really hard out here.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    Yeah, our water sucks.  We moved here in 81 from Dallas where the water was good.  I filled up my glass of water from the sink and you couldn't see through it.  It has gotten better.  We occasionally cook with it, but definitely don't drink it.  The water is really really hard out here.  
    Try boiling it in the Egg.. 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • speed51133
    Options
    get a reverse osmosis system
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Yeah that's what we have.  R/O system.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Yeah that's what we have.  R/O system.  
    I'm going to have to ask my Midland niece about that when I see her at Christmas.
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Yeah very few people that I now drink the stuff.  Its way better than it used to be.   I will say that.  I generally cook with it.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    fljoemon said:
    Bringing my daughter home from Santa Cruz which is north of the Monterey Bay to Orange County.   I made the mistake of stopping for gas in Big Sur two weeks ago. $5.75 a gallon. Regular gas around here is around  $3.40 
    I’ve been to that gas station. 💸
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Try boiling it in the Egg.. 
    That's a skill only available to Jedi Eggheads.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    That’s what I do.  You do need to buy them ahead of time and have somewhere to keep them until time to fill.  Some people just don’t plan ahead. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    If any of you need a place to ride this out, our home is open to you and your family. Hoping for the best.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    We are in and out of the bullseye depending on the day. I asked the neighbors with small children if they needed anything. He handed four whole chickens and a butt! Gonna be another good one, I recon!
  • HeavyG
    Options
    A good reminder for Florida Man...

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    If any of you need a place to ride this out, our home is open to you and your family. Hoping for the best.
    Not taking away the seriousness of the storm. But I’m in Texas and based on your wine collection and food cooks. Can I come “ride” it there?
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Not taking away the seriousness of the storm. But I’m in Texas and based on your wine collection and food cooks. Can I come “ride” it there?
    You are certainly welcome to our most humble abode. Bring the family. We can do the bourbon tour, and take in a couple of cool events while you are here.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky