Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Salmon w/miso-crack-ginger-glaze and Japanese Salad

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited March 2019 in Seafood
Another winner. SV Atlantic Salmon with a miso/ginger/shoyu glaze. Served with Field greens with miso (“Japanese Steakhouse” style) dressing and forbidden rice with Sherry Shoyu jus. 

Salmon was dry brined in 4:1 salt to sugar for 15 minutes, rinsed, then cooked SV at 118 for 40 min with a little EVOO in the bag. Glazed after the bath then placed under a ripping hot broiler for 1 minute. I torched mine real quick too to caramlize the glaze a little more. Fish was perfectly cooked-so delish. SV is such a great tool to cook delicate proteins like this. 

Sherry Shoyu Jus
2 tbsp sherry, 2 tbsp shoyu, 1 tsp sesame oil, 1/4 cup broth, 2 tsp ginger

Miso glaze (enough for 1 lb of fish)
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp miso
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp ginger
1 tsp chili garlic paste

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    That’s a great looking meal - nicely done! 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Winner winner Salmon Dinner! Need to try SV Fish for sure
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Looks great! Nice cook!

Brandon - Ohio

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Excellent!!!!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I just just used these pics to calibrate the colors for my monitor. Farkin' beautiful.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Beautiful!
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    You're on fire lately. Another bookmark for another day.  Well done!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    That looks and sounds fantastic man.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Looks great.  I'm going to have to try that.  
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker looks great, going to try tonight but need to buy miso.  What color is your fav for a glaze like this?  As I typed I remembered a page on Miso in recent bon appetit magazine and flipped open to find exact page - here it is.  I assume light miso best for glaze like this?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker looks great, going to try tonight but need to buy miso.  What color is your fav for a glaze like this?  As I typed I remembered a page on Miso in recent bon appetit magazine and flipped open to find exact page - here it is.  I assume light miso best for glaze like this?

Looks like we use the 2nd from the top color in your chart for this one. 
  • NDG said:

Looks like we use the 2nd from the top color in your chart for this one. 
    But don’t be afraid to try one of the others. We just always have this one in stock so that’s what we use. 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Great looking meal and thanks for sharing the recipe.  I have one small batch of Copper River left in the freezer, and this looks like it is it!  
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Love this cook thank you for sharing...
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • NDG
    Thanks - glaze made (tasty) and dry brine done & copper river salmon vac sealed - waiting on my 2 Chill-Drens to sleep so I can put in SV bath.  Too many beers so good no fire (unless I torch at end) for me. Also, Miso Horny.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG said:
    Thanks - glaze made (tasty) and dry brine done & copper river salmon vac sealed - waiting on my 2 Chill-Drens to sleep so I can put in SV bath.  Too many beers so good no fire (unless I torch at end) for me. Also, Miso Horny.
    Ha ha. Miso Horny is greatness. Hope it works. :) 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Beautiful, bookmarked.
    canuckland
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    That looks amazing. I've really got to get a better understanding of sous vide temps and times. I did salmon last night, but 113 for two hours. Should have stuck it under the broiler, but instead tried to sear it on the Weber. Not my finest work. No pics.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Talent rich right there.  Great cook and pics.  Nailed it-and too much green for me B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    Nice CT.  I'll be trying this soon.  

When I've nailed salmon on the BGE, it's been great.  But it can be tough to get just right.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Nice CT.  I'll be trying this soon.  

When I've nailed salmon on the BGE, it's been great.  But it can be tough to get just right.  
    I find 135-140*F finish temp on the BGE brings the salmon home every time.  FYI. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NDG said:
    how did it work out? we are dying to know!

• NDG
    Very Good!!  My pics suck tho - selfie with torch after day beers - yikes.  first time doing salmon SV and texture was very enjoyable.  I have had amazing BGE salmon but on a bad run of overcooking so this was refreshing.  LOVED the glaze (even though I added too much ginger).  This will be repeat for sure, thanks for sharing.

also made puff pastry with random combos of chicken leeks corn cheese broccoli for kids - I could eat 20 of these.

Columbus, OH