Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Possible apocalyptic event unfolding, need advice...quick

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Options
    hoods looking good
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    @ColbyLang how are things in Lafayette? 
    New Orleans LA
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    @ColbyLang how are things in Lafayette? 
    Still a non-event. Wind gusts to about 30. Light rain 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Areas south of Houma reporting 8’ of storm surge. Point Au Chien, Montegut And Cocodrie 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    @nolaegghead Is it to early to put in an offer on all that cheap weed and blow you stashed?
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I hate that it tracks North and just keeps dumping rain in the Mighty Mississippi watershed. I hope there isn’t a second crest a week or so down the road. Once BARRY slowly moves out, maybe they’ll have to open to Morganaza for only the third time ever. It was good that they haven’t done it so far, but maybe they will later. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder. I bought a three-pack of Rockwood.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Not yet in the attic with a few bottles of warm water, a long fading buzz, a chain saw that won't start, and a pocket knife from woot! that probably just about paid for itself.  

Probably not, definitely not, a chance greater than a 0.001 percent.  But people are skeerd. (here)  And when people are skeerd, suddenly it will turn into Florida.  Or something, no offense to FL, they just have lots of people and a legal mandate to make public any police action.  (note to people:  hyperbole)

I digress.  Please, in context of your household, list the preparedness you have currently and the supplies and provisions you would need/like to survive an upcoming apocalytic event.  I find this exercise can be good for team building and soul exposure.

Do you have a generator or 5?  Caloric intake graphed over time:  when do you die of starvation or start looting?  Booze: how long will you last?  Water is down: what vegetation can you "rambo" into drinking water with a vice grip?  Personal hygiene: where do you/what do you do when there's an impending fiber induced deuce?   Neighbor's yard?  (better than your yard (i would say yes))

When does the greater good turn into personal survival that's antithetical to others?

This is just a forum denizen exercise designed as a personality test, no relationship in any way to my current situation.  

Not sure what your reference to Florida means, I will ignore it.  We have a water cooler and in the hurricane season over stock 5 gallon jugs.  We also have two hand filters that allegedly we can filter ditch water into potable water.  We have a solar charger for cell phones and laptops.  Our water heater is the only gas one  in the immediate neighborhood and survives hurricanes but not sure about floods.  I have given away showers to thankful neighbors in the past.  Every season we cull and restock a two week supply of stored food stock.  Short of chemical contamination, which is unlikely where we are we have a pool for water to rinse and power toilets.  By no design there is a golf course about 15 feet lower than us nearby which absorbs most storm water (living below your lake certainly must complicate things).   Finally when a storm approaches we stock some lump.  Stay dry.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @Doc_Eggerton "when a storm approaches" you stock lump?  If I remember correctly, you keep a small Nations worth of Royal Oak on hand pretty much at all times....

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    thetrim said:
    @Doc_Eggerton "when a storm approaches" you stock lump?  If I remember correctly, you keep a small Nations worth of Royal Oak on hand pretty much at all times....

I am reformed, I have been buying 4 bags of Rockwood at a time.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    Options
    We have a 12 KVA standby that I installed around 12 years ago, runs the whole house.  I put it about 50 feet from the house, long freedom gas run so had to run 1.25" iron pipe.  It doesn't run the manbearcave. 

3 chest freezers and one big side by side in the shop, I will run extension cords to keep those going.  The chest freezers are fine for a day without power, they're all pretty full.

Backup AC in the bedroom, 12k BTU ductless inverter.  That can be hooked up to a plug if the generator fails.  The 24k BTU ductless inverter in the shop will run off the 3k inverter generator if I start it slow.

3 inverter generators - 1000, 2000 and 3000 watt, although I need to do some tank service on the 3000 (took it off shore once).

Just because we like to cook and buy stuff on sale and in bulk, we have enough food for probably 2 months. 

Stocked up on wine, beer and booze, soft drinks, tea.

I have probably 30 flashlights, most use 18650 lithium batteries.  Have maybe 100 spare 18650s that I salvage from "bad" laptop packs at work.  They are all charged up.

HAM radio, VOIP over fiber, pretty power fail tolerant communication means.

The high water vehicle is my truck.  Have a boat ready to go.  Everything is serviced regularly by myself.

Solar doesn't work when we're off the grid, so no advantage there.  Everything appliance-wise that can be natural gas is.

Chainsaw is working great.  SWMBO keeps up-to-date comprehensive first aid supplies, including sutures.

Air antennae for the TVs if the DirectTV/Interwebs go out.  Emergency radios.

Shop is comprehensively equipped with tools and supplies to MacGyver whatever needs it.

Respirators, Tyvec suits, boots, etc stored.

We filled up all our vehicles before the storm (got burned on that once during Katrina).

Beer making gear for long duration apocalyptic events, gotta maintain a buzz.

We have 3 5 gallon drinking water bottles and a dispenser, which is good for a couple weeks, I guess I could always get water out of the river and boil it.  Have 2 35 gallon potable water drums that I could fill up if I expect the need.

Fishing and hunting gear if it ever got that bad.  Never really give that scenario a thought, though.  Well, maybe recently.
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Probably 15 bags of charcoal too.  And a bunch of propane cylinders.  And couple 5 gallon tanks of gas.
    Options
    ^^^...and a freshly-baked loaf of onion bread.  You're set!  :triumph:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    yes, and onion bread!
    Options
    Why so many fleshlights? 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Barely any cars on our normally hard-to-find-parking street for some reason...
    Options
    Probably 15 bags of charcoal too.  And a bunch of propane cylinders.  And couple 5 gallon tanks of gas.
    We’re on our way! ;)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    I’m glad my niece and her family move from Thibideux to Midland Texas two years ago. They would have been centered.
    Feel sorry for anyone who has to move to Midland. I live it. It isn’t exciting. And it’s hot. Really hot. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    I’m glad my niece and her family move from Thibideux to Midland Texas two years ago. They would have been centered.
    Feel sorry for anyone who has to move to Midland. I live it. It isn’t exciting. And it’s hot. Really hot. 
    We just watched the movie “Hell or High Water” last night. Not particularly complementary...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    They pay her twice as much as the Louisiana college did. Of course the house costs twice as much . She says her new bosses and coworkers are  more helpful and friendly. The students are still students, just more Spanish and less Cajun. South Louisiana is hot and humid enough to grow mushrooms on your skin.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Did yall see any rain?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Did yall see any rain?
    sprinkling all day, but I bet we got less than half an inch
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Did yall see any rain?
    Jim Cantore must be pissed.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Seriously - I hope all of y’all impacted come away unscathed. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    They pay her twice as much as the Louisiana college did. Of course the house costs twice as much . She says her new bosses and coworkers are  more helpful and friendly. The students are still students, just more Spanish and less Cajun. South Louisiana is hot and humid enough to grow mushrooms on your skin.
    Is she a teacher?  Where?  My brother teaches in the school district and i have some friends who teach at the JUCO here.  It’s a good family town here. Heat wise. It’s dry heat here. Luckily. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Did yall see any rain?
    So did Linda 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    For gods sake @nolaegghead get your cross and bible ready for the rapture that is surely coming within the tide.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Algiers Point