Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is the rEGGulator worth it?

Options
I currently have the daisy wheel lid.  I was wondering what the rEGGulator sales for (size large) and if it's worth it to upgrade. I don't mind grilling the rain or snow.

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited July 2019
    Options
    You're good if you have the daisy wheel. They've been selling them them that way for a long time. The original eggs didn't even come with a daisy wheel. 

I think you need to buy the rEggulator plus the additional rain cap for it. I'm not seeing the value. That's just me though. 

You might want to look into the Smokeware cap if concerned about rain/snow. I'd imagine it's probably cheaper.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • PrivateJoker
    Options
    I did look into that but there seemed to be a lot of reviews saying that it gets a lot a grease buildup.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    I did look into that but there seemed to be a lot of reviews saying that it gets a lot a grease buildup.
    I think no matter what kind of cap is on the outlet it will get grease buildup 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    Options
    I picked one up and like it so far. It stays in place when opening and does not need to be removed to shut down the egg after cooking. Basically instead of having multiple tops I just need one. The little umbrella works good in the rain too. I haven't ran into a grease problem you speak of yet. 

I would say if you have a daisy wheel yes it is worth it but if you have a smokeware cap then no. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    been almost 20 years with the daisy, its not going to help me cook better or make anything easier
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    Options
    Somewhere on this forum is a thread (which I am unable to find just now) in which someone compared the daisy wheel, SmokeWare and rEGGulator. It was a good, seemingly-fair comparison in which he (I believe) felt the rEGGulator was the best of the three.  
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    The daisy wheel is fine.  I live in arid Utah, rain is rare (except this year for some reason).  I wanted to simplify, so I bought the smokeware.  I didn't like it, at all.  Then I discovered the reggulator.  I liked it so much, I have replaced all of my ceramic cap/daisy wheel setups with it.  When I bought my 2XL two weeks ago, I handed the dealer the daisy wheel and ceramic cap it came with and asked for the reggulator.  She said no problem, and swapped them out.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Worth it? Ehhh. I will probably upgrade eventually knowing that I don't have to but just want to.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• PSC
    PSC Posts: 148
    Options
    $100 bucks for that???

No way Jose.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Seriously? They cost $100?!!! I don't even use the daisy.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Smokeware cap will do the same thing for half the price, or just cut a hole on the side of a coffee can and put it over the dmft.
  • drumdudeguy
    drumdudeguy Posts: 165
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Paid $50 for my rEggulator. Far better than the Smokeware cap! Get’s way hotter, way quicker!
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • stlcharcoal
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Paid $50 for my rEggulator. Far better than the Smokeware cap! Get’s way hotter, way quicker!
    How does it do that?  You can take the top off a smokeware cap and let it run wide open.  

Does your cap keep the rain out, or did you drop an additional $30 on the umbrella?
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I bought the Regulator and the KAB at the same time.  Ive used the rEggulator two or three times- its fine, that review reference above made me want one.  Because I do 90% of my cooks without any top I wanted the rEggulator and the cap for when it rains, used it once and it worked great... the KAB on the other hand still working out the details.

**I dont leave it on the egg after Im done.  I pull it and still use the ceramic cap
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    I bought the Regulator and the KAB at the same time.  Ive used the rEggulator two or three times- its fine, that review reference above made me want one.  Because I do 90% of my cooks without any top I wanted the rEggulator and the cap for when it rains, used it once and it worked great... the KAB on the other hand still working out the details.

**I dont leave it on the egg after Im done.  I pull it and still use the ceramic cap
    What cooks are you doing?  I have to use my daisy wheel all the time.

I'm curious to hear more opinions on this.  I egg in the rain a bit and always wonder if that little shield would be better to have.  I feel like the daisy wheel allows me very fine control over the small temp changes and the bigger slider you need for the shield would give that up.

I don't know if there's any science behind my thoughts (probably not), but that's what's been holding me back.
    NC - LBGE
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I think a lot of people get hung up on the reggulator.  I am not too sure why.  I have noticed that the negative comments usually come from people that do not own one.  I have not found any comments from owners that dislike them, but I am sure there are some out there.  In one of the BGE Facebook groups, someone posted they got a new egg with the reggulator, and wanted the daisy wheel ceramic top instead.  I private messaged them and offered a trade for brand new DW/cap.  They accepted the offer (I offered shipping both ways).  When it came time for me to send the DW/cap first, they backed out and said they wanted to keep the reggulator out instead.

Some people really like the daisy wheel, as I have, and do.  I did not like the Smokeware that much.  I found it inferior to the reggulator in almost every way, except price.  I wont try to convince anyone otherwise that has one, they love them, and that's great for them.  I like the simplicity of having one cap.  I bought the rain cap 6 months ago when I bought my first reggulator.  I think I paid $25 extra for it, and its still in the box.  I guess for some people they really need the rain protection, but my environment really doesn't need it.  But if that need changes, I will go into the shed and pull it out.

In the end I don't think BGE is trying to have everyone replace their daisy wheel and ceramic cap (although it would be a welcome purchase for them I am sure).  They innovated with a cool new design that no one else has, and it comes standard on their new eggs.  It is not needed if you don't have one, unless you like to tinker with things, like I did.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    I currently have the daisy wheel lid.  I was wondering what the rEGGulator sales for (size large) and if it's worth it to upgrade. I don't mind grilling the rain or snow.
    I have all three caps and just did a review not long ago here - https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1219492/vent-cap-showdown-daisy-vs-smokeware-vs-reggulator-which-is-best-my-winner-is/p1

hope it helps 
  • drumdudeguy
    Options
    How does it do that?  You can take the top off a smokeware cap and let it run wide open.  

Does your cap keep the rain out, or did you drop an additional $30 on the umbrella?
    Yes, but to take the Smokeware top off I have to use heat protective gloves. Also it has to be cleaned frequently or it gums up. Neither is true of the rEGGulator. It’s superior in my opinion. I can cook under a carport if it rains so I didn’t need the umbrella.
  • drumdudeguy
    Options
    I have all three caps and just did a review not long ago here - https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1219492/vent-cap-showdown-daisy-vs-smokeware-vs-reggulator-which-is-best-my-winner-is/p1

hope it helps 
    Great review and the reason I bought my rEGGulator. I am glad that I did!
  • stlcharcoal
    edited July 2019
    Options

Yes, but to take the Smokeware top off I have to use heat protective gloves. Also it has to be cleaned frequently or it gums up. Neither is true of the rEGGulator. It’s superior in my opinion. I can cook under a carport if it rains so I didn’t need the umbrella.
    Ok, if that's such a concern, the DMFT had a handle that you could lift it right off with......wide open chimney then.  Either way the new cap doesn't get the thing hotter "way quicker" than any of the other ones.

Look I'm not knocking the thing, I'm saying that just because "Big Green Egg" is stamped in it, doesn't make it light-years better than anything else.  This is NOT a new groundbreaking design......they have had nearly the same thing back in the late-90's.  There was the cap that just had the daisy wheel, then their was a slider cap very similar to the new one.  I had both.  They combined the two to make the dual function metal cap with the little lift handle.

I'm glad your happy with it.  But even at dealer cost, it's not worth it to me to replace DMFT's or SW caps.
  • drumdudeguy
    edited July 2019
    Options

Ok, if that's such a concern, the DMFT had a handle that you could lift it right off with......wide open chimney then.  Either way the new cap doesn't get the thing hotter "way quicker" than any of the other ones.

Look I'm not knocking the thing, I'm saying that just because "Big Green Egg" is stamped in it, doesn't make it light-years better than anything else.  This is NOT a new groundbreaking design......they have had nearly the same thing back in the late-90's.  There was the cap that just had the daisy wheel, then their was a slider cap very similar to the new one.  I had both.  They combined the two to make the dual function metal cap with the little lift handle.

I'm glad your happy with it.  But even at dealer cost, it's not worth it to me to replace DMFT's or SW caps.
    You are entitled to you opinion. I like not having to remove anything. I chipped the top of my chimney taking the daisy wheel off and on. I just leave the rEGGulator on all the time. Love your charcoal!
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    Just went to my dealer today, as they are clearing out stock and not going to be a dealer anymore.  Everything was 15% off, including lump, accessories, and a few eggs.  They had daisy wheels and ceramic caps, but not the new style.  It was in their price sheets, but with no listed price.  Guess you can get one from Amazon for $105, but my cheap Smokeware cap is what I plan to keep using.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Paid $49 for mine. Was a few dollars more than my smokeware.  
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I cook year round, snow, sleet or rain. Been doing it a while now, in a very humid environment, where we get a lot of rain.

I have the daisy wheel, and the only time I use an umbrella is for me when I am in the elements.

Cooking, using the DW.......will take a lot of rain, much more than we have here to have any major effect.

I have cooked dozens of meals, in driving rain, utilizing L&S, without ever having an issue.

Maybe my idea of a driving rain is far less than what everybody else has? I dunno. I just have not seen the need to change out due to weather.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    One just sold for $82 on eBay, and a new auction started at $85 a bit ago.  Makes me wonder what the dealers are selling them for retail?
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    One just sold for $82 on eBay, and a new auction started at $85 a bit ago.  Makes me wonder what the dealers are selling them for retail?
    Thats incredible.  I think people are seeing the amazon price, and then thinking ebay is cheaper.  They arent aware of the MSRP reality that its just $49.  
  • Flatfoot
    Flatfoot Posts: 96
    Options
    I just bought the rEGGulator, sans the rain cap, for my Mini Max. I gave $50 for it. I will likely add the rain cap later. So far, with limited experience to draw from, I really like it. I have the Smokeware cap on my large and like it pretty well too, though I'm in the camp that takes issue with the appearance of the shiny stainless look on the Egg - I prefer the black aesthetic, YMMV.  My only Egg that is still sporting the daisy wheel is my Mini. I really hope that BGE comes out with the rEGGulator for the Mini soon. I will definitely upgrade when they do. From day one, the screw that holds the daisy wheel onto the rest of the cap has not held well and the thing comes apart frequently when you open the Egg. 
    LBGE, MM, & Mini. Weber Smokey Joe for a knockabout. 
    "Honestly, Honey!  Just one more Egg, and one more gun, and I'll be done!"
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Been using the rEGGuators for a few months now, at home, demos, competitions and in our classes, and really been enjoying the control and simplicity. When we competed in DC a couple weeks ago, we sported the rain cap inserts. Even though it didn't rain, we had peace of mind knowing our briskets and pork butts wouldn't get rained on. As a long time "daisy wheel", Dual function, and smokeware user, the rEGGulators are my favorite so far. They hold the adjustment tightly, even when opening and closing the lid. I'm a fan. Happy cookin! Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    Options

hope it helps 
    Thanks for re-posting. I knew it was on here somewhere and wasn't able to find it. Thanks, again, for your thorough review and repirt!