Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vent cap showdown: Daisy vs. Smokeware vs. rEGGulator, which is best? My winner is…

I think the number one question I get when hosting a fellow Egghead over and they see my array of vent caps is which one I like best and why so I thought I would share my thoughts now that I have all of the above and have been using the (1) original equipment daisy wheel, (2) the Smokeware chimney cap and (3) the new Egg rEGGulator by giving you a review of what I like/dislike most about each of the three options.  This is my first product review thread so let me know if you like/dislike these types of posts, hope it helps you find the right cap for your needs.

The daisy wheel

I’ve purchased two large eggs, a minimax and I was gifted a mini so to say that I have a soft spot in my heart for the daisy wheel is an understatement.  I read somewhere that a reviewer should state their basis upfront so I thought I’d lead off with my long standing relationship with the daisy wheel.  I think most of the gripes about the daisy wheel are slightly exaggerated once you learn how to position it properly so that it doesn’t slide to a different setting when you open and close the lid but despite how simple this seems now I struggled as new Kamado user to get my temps dialled in and was often frustrated by rocketing temps or snuffing out my fire or any combination in between so it is worth pointing out this limitation.  

Pro’s

- Easy to remove without burning your fingers

- Resistant to gumming up after cooking greasy foods

Con’s

- Can be tricky for new users to not have your settings reset every time you open the grill 

- Doesn’t complexly snuff the fire great on its own, requires separate ceramic cap

- Limiting airflow, you’ll want to remove it completely for Pizza or searing steaks as it limits max temp or slows down the lighting process 

- Rusts (although very easy to fix and re-season) 

- Rain can get into the egg (although you’d need the type of rain I wouldn’t want to be outside in for this to happen its possible) 

The Smokeware Chimney Cap

I’ve now purchased three Smokeware Chimney caps, a grate stacker and two 3” temp dials and have been really impressed with the customer service and quality of product from the Smokeware team.  Up until this spring, my home based Eggs (large and minimax) both rocked a Smokeware cap while the daisy wheels and ceramic caps got relegated to storage.  Before I built a pergola with rain protection the added shelter of the Smokeware cap was killer when grilling 365 days a year in Canada; add in the fact that Stainless steel is easy to clean, doesn’t rust, doesn’t move positions when opening/closing the egg and looks more modern than the traditional daisy wheel vintage look I found lots to love about the SS cap.  That being said there are draw backs, after a few cooks it can become very attached to the egg which makes removing it regularly not practical and while its sufficient at snuffing out the fire it's not comparable to the ceramic cap in terms of efficiency.  Not only is the stickiness a deterrent to removing the SS cap, the temp itself can burn through all but the most industrial of gloves.  Speaking of stickiness the deterioration of the sliding movement after cooking fatty foods like pork belly, ribs etc. quickly gums up the operation and while its possible to clean its frustrating to be back to all gummed up after a single big cook (my minimax doesn’t get as sticky since I don’t cook as many pork shoulders, ribs etc. in it as my large and it operates like new for months at a time).

Pro’s

- Rain protection superior to daisy wheel 

- Stability for settings when opening/closing the dome 

- Looks good, for a while I preferred the daisy wheel but it grew on me over time 

- Supports local / small business 

- Low maintenance (Dishwasher safe, no re-seasoning of cast iron, doesn’t rust)

Con’s

- For some (not me) the look goes against the OEM Egg feel 

- Warranty concerns for using non OEM accessories, doesn’t seem strictly enforced but it is in the policy.  (I haven’t had an issue)

- Quickly becomes sticky and difficult to adjust the dial as it seizes into place (on my large only where I do most of my pork shoulders, ribs, burnt ends etc.) 

- Doesn’t extinguish the fire as well as the ceramic cap 

- Limiting airflow, you’ll want to remove it completely for Pizza or searing steaks as it limits max temp or slows down the lighting process a little (better than the daisy wheel) but do it before it gets to hot to touch 

- Rubber heat protector can still burn fingers, wears out over time and easy to lose if you’re not careful.  

The rEGGulator 

By the way, this reviewing thing only works out if you all don’t point out to my wife that I own multiple solutions to a single problem 😊The most recent addition to the Egg family of accessories is the new cap from BGE released a few months back; the rEGGulator fits XXL, XL, Large, Medium size Big Green EGG sizes and I also got the rain cap to play with.  I’ve been happy with my SS caps for the past few seasons despite its shortcomings so I doubt that I am the true target market for BGE vs people looking to upgrade their original daisy wheel but nonetheless I have now cooked pork belly burnt ends, pork shoulders, ribs and steaks with the new cap to form my opinion for this review. 

It might be petty but I like the look of it; but as this isn’t high school, let me share some of the real reasons I really like this cap.  The amount of greasy large meats I’ve cooked thus far would have me scrubbing my SS caps trying to unglue them back to normal easy to use operation; the fact I haven’t had to do this yet nor does it seem remotely imminent is a big win for me.  I also really like the airflow options, I don’t have the equipment to measure flow rates between the three but this thing allows a lot more air than either the daisy or the SS cap.  I also think BGE did a much better job on the rubber finger burn protection for adjusting temps mid cook than the SS cap or original daisy wheel.  

Adjusting the temperature is definitely more deliberate effort wise than the daisy wheel or a brand new / just cleaned SS cap but it has a mechanical satisfaction to it that I appreciate let alone this is in part how getting no setting misalignment when opening or closing the doom is achieved.  I like being able to add and remove the rain cap, I haven’t fully decided if I like the look of it the most with or without it but having the option and the added protection is nice to have.  Finally, and again without the equipment to scientifically prove it, outside of the ceramic cap this is hands down the best cap at getting the fire out quickly and keeping the most amount of lump for future cooks.

Pro’s

- Best of daisy wheel, ceramic cap and Smokeware cap products combined into one…. like a mix tape of your favourite songs but in this case the tape helps make magical smoked food.

- Weather protection with the cap

- More air = more heat than daisy or SS cap; there’s no need to remove this cap at any point I’ve found so far

- Temp control feels very precise, doesn’t move once set

- Hands down the best design for fingers to adjust mid cook 

- Best at shutting down the egg

- Time will tell, but the new coating seems like it will hold up to the elements better than the original daisy wheel seasoned cast iron.

Con’s

- It feels like a premium product and its priced accordingly 

- Time will tell, but the new coating seems like it will hold up to the elements better than the original daisy wheel seasoned cast iron.

- While it fits medium to XXL, my Minimax and Mini can’t use the same cap like a gasket on the SS allows you to do so you’re going to want more than one

Conclusions & Recommendations 

When I bought my Smokeware Cap the rEGGulator didn’t exist and it was significantly better in almost every way to the daisy wheel.  At times I was frustrated seeing new product innovations come out year after year on other Kamado brands while the Egg that you could buy at that point was a lot like the Egg 5 years before that and BGE wasn’t innovating on the accessories either to help get more enjoyment out of the product.  Small businesses like Smokeware recognized this gap and helped create some great products I’m proud to have purchased along the way.

Perhaps it was competitors, perhaps it was small businesses innovating… in either case competition makes things better for the end user customer and BGE showed up to play with this product.  Hands down, in my opinion the rEGGulator is the best mouse trap on the market today and I give it a thumbs up recommendation to anyone looking to upgrade their Egg.

Comments

• SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    Thanks for taking the time to test, analyze and report your findings. I am currently using the SmokeWare, have experienced the pros and cons and am glad BGE is showing some innovation with the new rEGGulator. 
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    I used the daisy wheel for a little over two years and the smokeware cap for about 4 months. I never had to remove either to sear or do a pizza. I do pizzas at 600-650. I see that a lot on here that you have to remove them to get to higher temperatures. I’ve never had that experience with either.  Maybe I don’t cook to high enough temperatures though. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • just curious, what does the rEGGulator costs run?
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I agree with the conclusion.  I have used all three, and have converted my fleet to the reggulator.  It is awesome.  It may cost more, but some say even the rockwood charcoal is worth the extra cost, I agree with it here too.
  • cookingdude555
    Also I would add to the review that it is sold for the mini max and small now, too.  Same price as the larger version at 49.99.

• I agree with the conclusion.  I have used all three, and have converted my fleet to the reggulator.  It is awesome.  It may cost more, but some say even the rockwood charcoal is worth the extra cost, I agree with it here too.
    Word. As you can see I use both of these fine examples lol

• cookingdude555
    edited May 2019
    I agree with the conclusion.  I have used all three, and have converted my fleet to the reggulator.  It is awesome.  It may cost more, but some say even the rockwood charcoal is worth the extra cost, I agree with it here too.
    Word. As you can see I use both of these fine examples lol

those steaks are pretty!

side note on the small/mmx reggulator, I tried my reggulator rain cap on it, and it fits perfectly too.  I was worried they would have a different rain cap size for the small/mmx version resulting in another purchase.

My dealer said they would also be making one for the mini.  Who knows tho.  My dealer is awesome in the way they support the product, but I am not sure they have the product knowledge to make that announcement.  They are the only platinum dealer in my city (they stock every egg), and they sell the eggs because the owner fell in love with them.  The egg isn't even remotely related to their core business.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Great write-up, thank you!
    I got my Large from a local hardware chain that just opened, and didn't receive the ceramic cap.  I've always snuffed my fires with either the daisy or the Smokeware, never noticed a difference but you claim the ceramic cap does it faster; I haven't had one so can't comment, but its not high on my priority list.  
    I'd feel comfortable with the rEggulator's rain top, if it didn't blow during rainstorms around here; unfortunately it does.  
    I'll probably keep going with what I have, but if a burglar steals my caps I'm going with the rEggulator next.  ;)  
    Again, great methodical writeup, I liked it!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Nice review. Thanks for doing this. Glad to hear you like the new Reggulator as it seems to adequately address the concerns some folks have with adjustments and rain.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Have not used any top in 10 years. They are just not needed IMO. I can control with the bottom vent for all my cooks. Do use the ceramic green can to put out fire and storage. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• HeavyG said:
    Nice review. Thanks for doing this. Glad to hear you like the new Reggulator as it seems to adequately address the concerns some folks have with adjustments and rain.
    Thanks man, hope it helps people in the market out looking for a vent cap 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Great write-up and reviews.Thanks for the effort. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Nice review. I have been using the standard daisy wheel since I bought my Egg, and have been happy enough with it. It doesn't change adjustment if it is put on in the right orientation, and if it gets too dirty or rust shows up, I take it to work and bead blast it until it looks (almost) new. I use the ceramic cap for shutting down the fire. I am curious, though, about what keeps the rEGGulator from changing the setting when opening the dome. Friction? Nubs? Magic?
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • Yno said:
    Nice review. I have been using the standard daisy wheel since I bought my Egg, and have been happy enough with it. It doesn't change adjustment if it is put on in the right orientation, and if it gets too dirty or rust shows up, I take it to work and bead blast it until it looks (almost) new. I use the ceramic cap for shutting down the fire. I am curious, though, about what keeps the rEGGulator from changing the setting when opening the dome. Friction? Nubs? Magic?
    I’m going to have to go with magic ... maybe friction but magic seems like the more reasonable explanation 
  • Cjtamu
    Cjtamu Posts: 22
    Great review. Have never used the Smokeware cap. But, my MIL gave me the rEggulator and rain cap for Christmas and my experience has been the same as yours. I love it. Have cooked through a light rain with no issues. Gets to temp for high temp cooks much faster than the daisy wheel. I think they claim 50% more airflow with the huge opening it has? I do pizzas at 720 degrees and I end up with the top closed more than 25% to keep it at that temp. 
  • Cjtamu said:
    Great review. Have never used the Smokeware cap. But, my MIL gave me the rEggulator and rain cap for Christmas and my experience has been the same as yours. I love it. Have cooked through a light rain with no issues. Gets to temp for high temp cooks much faster than the daisy wheel. I think they claim 50% more airflow with the huge opening it has? I do pizzas at 720 degrees and I end up with the top closed more than 25% to keep it at that temp. 
    Agree, same experience with it has more air than you'll ever need and I think I did read that on the product page shortly after it came out that it was tested and found to flow something like 50% more air than the original daisy wheel could allow when wide open 
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    How does the rEGGulator handle lower temperature cooking (smoking)?? I've found the Smokeware cap gives me good control for keeping temps where I like them. I'm also able to get it into the 400F range to grill (chicken breasts mostly, but occasionally a steak too). If I really need to crank the temp, I can always lift the cap off. But I do that almost never. I also don't have issues with getting the BGE going or stopping it with the Smokeware cap. I suppose I could get their 'FlatCap' if I found that I "needed" to get the egg shutdown faster. ;)
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • 1911Man said:
    How does the rEGGulator handle lower temperature cooking (smoking)?? I've found the Smokeware cap gives me good control for keeping temps where I like them. I'm also able to get it into the 400F range to grill (chicken breasts mostly, but occasionally a steak too). If I really need to crank the temp, I can always lift the cap off. But I do that almost never. I also don't have issues with getting the BGE going or stopping it with the Smokeware cap. I suppose I could get their 'FlatCap' if I found that I "needed" to get the egg shutdown faster. ;)
    Good question, admittedly some of this discussion is like why buy a new vehicle when the one you have starts, stops, and drives ok and do you really need that new one?  Sure the new one gets better mileage, performs better in every test etc. but that comes with a cost, and like I said in the review I don't think people like you or me are the true target audience as if you're happy with what you've got you're all set. 

Anyone with a SS cap knows that the air gap with the adjustment lever is smaller than the other openings so while it might appear completely closed when looking at it dead on you are getting air flow out the other two openings.  This is not an issue, but I would say the rEGGulator design is easier to see the size of the air gap and set it to the right spot consistently, not burn your fingers when making adjustments, not gumming up after hours of smoke, and uses less fuel when snuffing out the fire.

The rEGGulator does very well on low and slow, I've done pork shoulders for 8 hours, pork belly burnt ends for ~5, ribs for ~5 etc. and its been rock solid.  Like you, I never used my ceramic cap since the truth of the matter is the SS inner ring became virtually glued to Egg and removing it was more trouble that it was worth so good enough was good enough.  Having all three at my disposal, if fuel consumption matters to you at all the rEGGulator wins hands down in my opinion 
  • Cjtamu
    Cjtamu Posts: 22
    I haven't done any low and slow with it yet. But I did a beef birria about 6 weeks ago and that was about 8 hours at 350 degrees. Held temp beautifully and went about 7 1/2 hours before it wouldn't maintain 350 without more fuel. I had plenty of opening left at cap and bottom vent to drop temps, I think I could hit and hold dome temp of 250-275 easily. 
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Thanks for the review! Daisy wheel just fine for me.  Never had even an inkling of a desire for something else. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    I might pick one up and leave the daisy dedicated to the smobot.   
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    I like the new reggulator top it doesn’t get stuck shut like the Smokeware. The daisy wheel was ok but the reggulator is the way to go.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    g37 said:
    I like the new reggulator top it doesn’t get stuck shut like the Smokeware. The daisy wheel was ok but the reggulator is the way to go.  
    I have the original smokeware cap on one large and the newer version on my other large.  I have not had any issues with the original (only rectangular vent holes) ever sticking.  The newer version... yup... sticks and needs to be cleaned frequently.
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• g37 said:
    I have the original smokeware cap on one large and the newer version on my other large.  I have not had any issues with the original (only rectangular vent holes) ever sticking.  The newer version... yup... sticks and needs to be cleaned frequently.
    True story. Both of mine are the new generation so I never experienced the hassle free operation 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    g37 said:
    True story. Both of mine are the new generation so I never experienced the hassle free operation 
    Not sure why they made the change!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• g37 said:
    Not sure why they made the change!
    This would be interesting to know 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    I bought a rEGGULATOR yesterday based on this thread.  Maiden run today

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    I went to the ACE store here in town some time ago looking to buy one of the new rEGGulators.   I was really fairly disappointed to discover that it didn't come with the rain cap, and that when you added up the price of the reggulator and the rain cap it easily exceeded the smokeware.   So I just got the Smokeware cap, and have been very happy with it.  

Nevertheless, I appreciate your review and the time and effort it went into putting it together, even if I disagree with the ultimate conclusions.

Your point about air-flow did get me thinking, however, that a fairly simple re-design of the Smokeware cap could easily address that.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike