Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Sous-Vide question

Options
 I've tried sous-vide before, I just wasn't all that impressed, the flavors just weren't there and some of the textures kind of turned me off, especially the chicken breast, I  had it for a week or so and  ended up returning it. The thing I really miss about it are the eggs, the most creamy eggs I've ever had, I almost kept it just for the eggs. I would really like like to try it again but I need to get the chicken and pork recipes down, I've been reading that texture is controlled by temp and time any incites on this would be appreciated.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Bear 007 said:
     I've tried sous-vide before, I just wasn't all that impressed, the flavors just weren't there and some of the textures kind of turned me off, especially the chicken breast, I  had it for a week or so and  ended up returning it. The thing I really miss about it are the eggs, the most creamy eggs I've ever had, I almost kept it just for the eggs. I would really like like to try it again but I need to get the chicken and pork recipes down, I've been reading that texture is controlled by temp and time any incites on this would be appreciated.

I think probably the biggest mistake anyone can make with SV and protein is to try it once and decide you don't like it.  Because the truth is that you can obtain a fairly wide range of results by adjusting the time and temp.  Think of it like another set of ingredients.  Would you give up on bbq chicken just because the sauce you used with it wasn't your favorite?  Probably not.

I'd start here for insight on SV chicken and how different choices impact the final results:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast.html
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Download the Anova and Joule apps and take if from there. If you want more texture on your cooks, sear on the Egg for the finish. Try a beef or pork tenderloin this way. 
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    Options
    I had the apps and have recently, thanks to previous posts, read the above link, I was just wondering if you have to cut time or temps a little short to get the yummy goodness of the egg shine through
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    There are some cooks that I don’t like finishing on the egg after SV.  Mainly chicken breast.  I like to SV BLSL breast at 146° for about 2hrs (with a bit of SPOG) and then sear in a hot CI pan till golden. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    I've been debating getting one of these things. 
    NC - LBGE
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,757
    Options
    My favorite way for a Chuckie 148 30 + hours  

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Bear 007
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    My favorite way for a Chuckie 148 30 + hours  

That's the kind of thing I was wondering about, what temp to finish on the egg?

There are some cooks that I don’t like finishing on the egg after SV.  Mainly chicken breast.  I like to SV BLSL breast at 146° for about 2hrs (with a bit of SPOG) and then sear in a hot CI pan till golden. 
    No pan sauce, is it worth it?
  • lkapigian
    Options
    I make a sauce from the bagged juice from a roux , it's great...sear on a cast iron or ballistic Egg, never really check the temp just let it go for a few minutes each side..
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    What sous vide gets you is the ability to heat up an item to a precise temperature and hold it at that temp.  Hard to do any other way.  Texture is most often a result of the temp the item is taken to.  You do not need to cook chicken to temps that give you the textures you do not like.  You can use temps that get you traditional textures if you want.  Just need to experiment or check out recipes that are designed for want you want.

There is always liquid available after a sous vide cook available for pan sauce.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Besides great eggs, SV can also cook tough meats at low enough temperature that the collagen breaks down but only causes minimal water loss from the muscle, which, being already captured, is ready for au jus. One of the 1st recipes I tried was 72 hour short ribs. Don't have the recipe on hand, but I think it was 135F. A small amount of salt and garlic granules in the bag. Then an Egg sear. The outside was nice and crisp, and the inside had an unreal texture. So moist that the meat seemed to pop. Another good use is for select steaks. Ordinarily rather tough, 36 hours in SV, they end up as tender as choice grade.

I've got a recipe for salmon fillets. The salmon is cooked to about 122F w. a very specific amount of salt/oz. This causes the albumin to firm up, so when finished by a quick pan sear in butter, there's no goo on the surface, and the meat is already lightly seasoned.
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,095
    Options
    I guess I need to take mine out of the box and use it.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    Options
    And don’t forget to try the chocolate pots!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I like cookbooks, and found this one to be pretty good (I think @JohnInCarolina turned me on to it):

Good recipes for all kinds of stuff. The jerk chicken recipe is really quite good. 

Also, google “Sous vide primer” for all kinds of helpful links and vids. Chefsteps used to have a nice pdf that was free to download. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Barbacoa is reason enough - https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1190013/beef-cheek-barbacoa-redemption/p1

I am very happy w the Joule, and it takes almost no space. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Sous vide is just another way to cook, not better, just different. The egg has not seen pork chops or steaks around our house for a long time. Pre sear in CI pan, into a bag, add some herbs, oil and even liquid smoke if so inclined, into the bath (steak, two hours or so at 130ºF; chops, two hours or so at 138ºF), pull from bath, dry and then CI sear for finish. No egg needed. Think how much money you will save on lump. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Bear 007
    Options
    I've got to try to incorporate the egg, my wife's addicted to smoky goodness. I've got another machine on the way, pre ordered it, won't be in till the end of August, give me more ideas.

I'll definitely give the CI seared steaks a try this winter but up here you have to take advantage of the warm weather while you get it.

There's nothing like a whole chicken on the egg, any way to sous vide a day ahead and put it on the next day or do things get funky.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I will SV chicken breast on Sunday and sear/reheat later in the week with no issue.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    I use my SV weekly.  Almost all for meats. I always season with EVOO and usually S&P in the bag, and always sear either on the egg or gasser prior to serving.  I've never gone straight from SV to plate and everything always meets with everyone's approval.  I've recently started doing asparagus and it's better than any of the other ways I've tried.  

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• Srf_in_Dfw
    Srf_in_Dfw Posts: 42
    Options
    The best spare ribs I've ever done were SV for 24 hours. If you haven't done it, I highly recommend it. I think it was at 141 but I'd have to go back and check.

Put them on the Egg for 45 minutes to pick up some smoke and they are perfect.
    LBGE, Minimax

Dallas, TX
  • lkapigian
    Options
    FWIW, if you cook for crowds it is an invaluable tool, 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    @webass whats your process for SV asparagus ??
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I will SV chicken breast on Sunday and sear/reheat later in the week with no issue.  
    That’s an idea I hadn’t thought about. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Www.chefsteps.com

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    NDG said:
    Joule app says 180 for 10-20 minutes.  I'm usually at much lower temps for meat so I put it in for about 30 minutes at anywhere between 125-140.  It comes out snappy, which is the way we like it.  If you like it more done you could stick it in the microwave for 45 seconds or so.  Toss in EVOO and S&P after it's cooked, NOT before.  It'll come out limp and soggy if you do.  I always vac seal my asparagus since it's hard to get all the air out of a zip loc with a "light load."    

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• NDG
    Options
    Webass said:
    NDG said:
    Joule app says 180 for 10-20 minutes.  I'm usually at much lower temps for meat so I put it in for about 30 minutes at anywhere between 125-140.  It comes out snappy, which is the way we like it.  If you like it more done you could stick it in the microwave for 45 seconds or so.  Toss in EVOO and S&P after it's cooked, NOT before.  It'll come out limp and soggy if you do.  I always vac seal my asparagus since it's hard to get all the air out of a zip loc with a "light load."    
    Thanks @Webass
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @Webass did 185 for 15 mins last night - great!  Mine have been getting stringy in the oven - but this method gave excellent texture & snap!
    Columbus, OH