Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Chuckie

Options
GlennM
GlennM Posts: 1,365

Thought I would give this a try. It came out great! Sous Vide at 135 for 18 hrs and browned on the egg. I will do this again, tastes like prime rib. I made an au jus with the liquid in the bag and a couple of sour dough baguettes

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

Very nice.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I've done that twice, for 48 hours both times. Obviously longer than necessary. Yours looks great! Thanks for posting!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options

Beautiful!

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

How did you get your bread to rise without yeast? ;)

I still need to try this for chuck. Looks fantastic.

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options

Looks great!

“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options

More inspiration to SV a Chuck! Looks great!

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options

Nice looking cook!!

I currently have a chuckie in the pool till about 5pm for dinner tonight! Hoping it turns out as well as yours!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Nice plate. And the baguettes look wonderful.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options

I just ate lunch and thought I was full. Now I am hungry again.

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • The_Stache
    Options

OK, I'm a true convert! I may never buy prime rib ever again!! 24 hours in the tub seasoned with rosemary, salt, tamari sauce and vac sealed at 138 (medium) cast iron seared and the result was AMAZING!!!!

Thanks @GlennM for the nudge!!!!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited April 2019
    Options

We are converts too! Two 2-1/2-lb. vacuum-sealed chuck roasts for 25 hours in the sous vide at 131°. One with Montreal Steak Seasoning and the other with salt and a big sprig of rosemary.

Seared afterward on a black steel pan, and then let the pan cool a bit and reduced the juices saved from the vacuum bags. I got 14 thick steaks from that.

No need to take pictures...it looked exactly like @GlennM's post!

Judy in San Diego
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options

That does look amazing.. Your plated pic is off the charts good

Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

@Judy Mayberry Hi, Judy! I like your 25 hrs better than my 48. First time I read about that method, the article suggested 48 so that's what I did. Have only done it twice. Next time, I'll go for only a day. Maybe a couple extra hrs as I have a roast in my freezer now. Going to try it from frozen.

I have to ask though... how did you get 14 thick steaks from 5 lb of meat? 😉

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    edited June 2019
    Options
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Is it an absolute necessity to vac seal?   Im not opposed but @The_Stache and  @Judy Mayberry would be able to provide some super valuable input here
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @GlennM
    Brother I have to give this one a double salute👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The_Stache
    Options

Is it an absolute necessity to vac seal?   Im not opposed but @The_Stache and  @Judy Mayberry would be able to provide some super valuable input here.

I have not tried it any other way... I would believe you could use an air evacuated zip lock bag of some sort.  Key is to have the meat in full submerssion without getting any of the SV water in the container.  If you do try it with ziplock, let us know how it turns out!! 

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    You can zip lock and like @The_Stache says make sure it's submerged ..yiu can use the water to aide in getting air out if the bag. That being said a vac sealer is a good investment. It will get used 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GlennM
    Options
    Wow, Cesar approved twice this week!  I’m honoured!
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    SGH said:
    @GlennM
    Brother I have to give this one a double salute👍

I haveng seen the SGH Seal of Approval for awhile...does this merit it?  If so, plz @SGH do the honors!
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    Options
    Nice, I guess I'm sold.
  • GlennM
    Options
    It is very similar to prime rib this way
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I'd like to add another seal of approval

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    I have a sous vide and havent even taken it out of the box yet. Guess what I'm shopping for tonight
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • GlennM
    Options
    Wow, nice seal of approval'