Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Snake River Farms Shoulder

Options
PASmoke
PASmoke Posts: 279
Well, I finally decided to pull the trigger on the SRF shoulder. I’m also using it as a good excuse to get back engaged on this forum.

The package arrived as a 23 lb hunk of completely frozen meat. I filled the sink with room temp water and let it sit in there for 4/5 hours. Then I placed it in the refrigerator overnight. I removed it from the refrigerator again around 10AM the next morning and left it on the counter until I put it on the BGE at 5pm. 

I wanted it to be ready to serve no later than 6pm on the 4th of July......so I gave myself a worst case scenario of 24 hours cook time and an hour rest time.

But I assumed that it would more likely be a 19-21 hour cook.....followed by a 3-4 hour rest. 

I was wrong! 

It looked great with the exception of the protruding, handle like bone/blade that was obviously going to keep it from fitting on the BGE.

That was going to have to go! 

Using a standard bone saw I removed the protruding piece. I admit to not knowing my way around a whole shoulder like a butcher.....but it didn’t look like the most promising piece of meat. I set it aside for soup another day. 

The color on the rest of the shoulder was a beautiful, deep pink. I did trim it up a bit before rubbing it. 

I wanted to give the meat a chance to really stand on its own.....so I gave it a light dusting of a rub from Georgia’s second best BBQ restaurant and drizzled it with a touch of honey. That’s it....

I set the BGE around 275* thinking that a piece of cold meat that large would quickly bring down my dome temp 25 or 30 degrees......which it did. 

Here we go.....

In that previously mentioned spirit of not messing with it too much and letting the meat speak for itself - I didn’t lift the lid until over 6 hours into the cook. Above is what it looked like at that point.

I did spritz it with a 75% Apple Juice 25% Apple Cider Vinegar once.

If you’re cooks are anything like mine.....there is almost always a curve ball of some kind. Today’s curveball was that this
23 lb hunk of meaty goodness was done in an incredibly short 12 hours rather than the 20+ that I had planned for! 

There was no “stall” or “plateau” at any point in the cook. I anticipated that there would be a 3 to 5 hour stall. 

It steadily climbed until I removed it at 5:00am when the core temp reached 198*....Exactly 12 hours after putting it on the Egg.

This was the final product. 

My biggest challenge was keeping it in good condition for 14 hours until dinner would be served. Not an ideal length of time! 

I wrapped it in tinfoil and put it in the oven on the “warm” setting at 165* basting it occasionally with a homemade sauce.

The surface area was a bit more dry than I would have hoped for because of the long rest time.....but the flavor of the meat was amazing and the center of the cut was juicy and perfect. 

All in all.....it was a success.
Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

Comments

• leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    Thats quite the hunk of meat. Looks delicious!
    Dyersburg, TN
  • stevez
    stevez Posts: 123
    Options
    Looks awesome!  Thanks for sharing.  Will have to try one.
    Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Great looking piece of meat.  Thank you for sharing the details of your purchase and cook!  Keep on posting!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    B-E-A-U-TIFUL!  Did you happen to check your dome thermo to make sure it was calibrated correctly?  Wondering if you were cooking more than 275ish.  Either way great work.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    That's a great cook and post.  THANK YOU for sharing.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• PASmoke
    edited July 2019
    Options
    As good as it was I’m still a little undecided on if it was “worth it.” 

It it had a uniquely rich and deep flavor and their customer service is great. But is it worth 3 times what I would have paid a local butcher for a similar cut of meat that is not “Kurobuta” pork? 

Probably, yes......occasionally. 

@stevez

• PASmoke
    Options
    @saluki2007 I would have thought the same thing.....but I had a remote probe running along side the dome probe and they were reading 6 to 8 degrees apart the whole time....which makes sense given that one was on the grate and the other in the dome lid. 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    SRF has been generous enough to donate one of these to Butt Blast the past couple of years, and @tarheelmatt has cooked them up.  They make for some good groceries as he is fond of saying!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • PASmoke
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina
    One thing that is without question is the quality of SRF as a company. Their customer service and food quality is fantastic! Glad to hear that they also support good causes. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @PASmoke great write up and even better cook.  Way to address all the curve balls and still hit a home-run.  Congrats.
    Regarding SRF- with few exceptions (some sale or other enticement) all I buy from them are briskets.  I can't afford to make them my sole supplier (unless I greatly reduce my brisket cook numbers) but whenever I cook one it is always worth it. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • PASmoke
    Options
    @lousubcap
    Thanks! I have cooked their Kurobuta ribs (posted on that a while back) and now this....not sure what’s next.....but I’ll probably do something this Fall. 

Maybe the Crown Roast. Ever done it? 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @PASmoke never have strayed from SRF beef products so no help there.  But given their overall track record and your experience-sounds like a slam dunk. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Beautiful!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Welcome back, nice return!
    Jacksonville FL
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    These shoulders are awesome!  

Made tacos al pastor for BB2018 and pork mojo for BB2019.  Didn't have many complaints.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • PASmoke
    Options
    @Dobie

Thanks! Looking forward to posting more again.....

• wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    PASmoke said:
    As good as it was I’m still a little undecided on if it was “worth it.” 

It it had a uniquely rich and deep flavor and their customer service is great. But is it worth 3 times what I would have paid a local butcher for a similar cut of meat that is not “Kurobuta” pork? 

Probably, yes......occasionally.

That is a pretty looking piece of piggy!

Did you rock that thing on a large?  Tip of the cap to you on a SNF cook!  I'm hoping to get good enough one day to justify being able to order and cook one of those piece's of golden meats!

Pics look fantastic.  Thank you for sharing!
    NC - LBGE
  • PASmoke
    Options
    @wardo
    Yes, I did it on a large. After I sawed off the smaller piece it fit perfectly.

If I had it to do over again I would call SRF and ask them to send me a smaller shoulder. 

Thank you you for your kind words.....

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    looks great way to roll with the punches

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    What did you do with the sawed off piece?  I'm thinking that could make some fantastic sausage 

NC - LBGE
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Great looking shoulder, was it worth the SRF price?
  • PASmoke
    Options
    @CigarCityEgger
    Probably yes.....on a rare ocation. It is a great piece of meat....better than most. But it’s 30% better and three times the price. So that one time a year when you want to do something special for friends or family.....go for it.