Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    So I fell asleep last night with a frozen butt in the sous vide bath running at 70 degrees to thaw.  It ran for about 4 hours that way.  As soon as I woke up I pulled it and put in the fridge.  Anyone think there would be any ill effects on the meat or safety?  I don't think so but I don't want to make anyone sick....that's for sure.  
    I wouldn't worry about it. It was in a vacuum bag or a cryo, not open to the air. Plus you're going to cook it to over 200. It wouldn't concern me at all. Sorry this is 16 hours later.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    So, I’m not having brisket tomorrow. I lit up the LBGE, got the AR and the drip pan ready, then went inside to prep the brisket. 

It was a floppy one, lots of give. Thought we were in for a treat. When I opened it up, the top of the point effectively unraveled from the flat. And what remained between those two pieces of meat were about 7-8 long white strands, fairly thin in diameter. The meat that unraveled didn’t look all that “fresh” either. 

So I have to ask, did I overreact by not cooking the brisket because that’s just how “floppy” briskets are?  Or would you guys have had similar suspicions? 

Sorry I didn’t get pics. At 2.40 a pound, it seemed too good to be true
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,364
    Options
    Just got caught up on this thread after many days away.  And heading out today for another few days.  The eggs are getting spiderwebs...
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,489
    Options
    @thetrim - safe travels and we will all be here  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,513
    Options
    Got the annual "4th of July" email from Dizzy Pig, and it had a link to a "spicy potato salad" recipe:
    https://dizzypigbbq.com/recipe/dizzy-pig-spicy-potato-salad/

The first two ingredients are:
    - 1 lb potatoes
    - 1/2 lb bacon!!   :open_mouth:

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    I’m so hungover I’m going to have to start drinking to feel better.  Dammit. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I’m so hungover I’m going to have to start drinking to feel better.  Dammit. 
    Cesar Hernandez concurs

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

@thetrim I feel like there’s an English / 4th of july joke here....but I will not be baited into your game

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,787
    Options
    Spending the day watching Scott Res Project 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    thetrim said:

My BIL is working this summer for the University of Alabama football team. 

Figured we would treat him when he came home last weekend for 4th of July. 

Served a tomahawk with brussel sprouts tossed in honey, Parmesan, and a plethora of bacon. 
    With total respect to @SGH, Cesar Hernanadez, as well as his Northsea Biat Captain Seal(s) of Approval.  I hope Scottie doesn't mind.

I wanted to offer my own as well.  Nice work, Adam!  Here's to you!

The Map is crooked 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Getting close 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Making burgers and sweet corn on the jumbo joe 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    @lkapigian Man, that looks delicious!  What kind of sausage are you cooking there?
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • lkapigian
    Options
    smokingal said:
    @lkapigian Man, that looks delicious!  What kind of sausage are you cooking there?
    Homemade Beef and Jalapeno @smokingal
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I'm getting a late start on my cook today.  Haven't eaten breakfast or lunch and the smell wafting off the Egg is driving me nuts.  Time to fetch a snack.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Sitting here enjoying the Earthquakes as well....centered about 60 miles from us 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Sitting here enjoying the Earthquakes as well....centered about 60 miles from us 
    It's funny watching the news talk about the quake like it's Armageddon....it just knocked over our lawn chairs 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options

My BIL is working this summer for the University of Alabama football team. 

Figured we would treat him when he came home last weekend for 4th of July. 

Served a tomahawk with brussel sprouts tossed in honey, Parmesan, and a plethora of bacon. 
    Porter Road or SRF?
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options

Just some ribs...  Damn it's hot here.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,367
    Options
    Congrats, fning animal.

Jacksonville FL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,513
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:
    It's funny watching the news talk about the quake like it's Armageddon....it just knocked over our lawn chairs 

(okay, I didn't see the forum reference, no association nor meaning there...)

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,369
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:
    My mom text my earlier to see if we were ok. I honestly didn't know people felt it here. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,369
    Options
    Also getting ready to play a fun little game of "Are those gun shots or fireworks" with the public tonight. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Here you go lads, cancel your plans and/or work through your hangovers in front of the YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5RuJ1k82zU

Goodwood Festival of Speed is live streamed all weekend.  
    A nice chap a few miles down the road from me opens his front drive way for some of his mates to chug past in their cars. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Just got through checking on my bee hives...one doing good with some honey forming..the other not so much.....however  I am a little more concerned as that one that is doing well is noticeably more aggressive than my first one....
    Got to start doing some hive beetle control, picking up some nematodes this weekend for the soil.

Checked on my gigs too, if I can keep the damn crows out of them I'll have a bumper crop this year