Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

VOTE: Will citrus mojo marinade change my PP texture?

NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
edited June 2019 in EggHead Forum
party of 30 (9 kids) coming over SAT and I have pork shoulder debate.  I’m making taco bar where this pork offered with crumble mex Cheese, pickled red onions & pico.  Loosely following APL recipe where marinade of 2 cups OJ, 1cup lime juice etc is used as marinade before smoke, then reserved 1 cup of marinade used as a finishing sauce once pork is done and pulled.  I wanted to get the pork done today (fri) and pull for PP, throw in Dutch oven incorporate with citrus mojo sauce tonight, so I could just slowly warm hour before guests come for tacos . . BUT should I be concerned the heavy citrus & acidic mojo sauce will change the PP texture and make it mushy?  

A ) doing above is easiest but stupid to pull Day early, and will the citrus mojo make my pork too mushy?
B ) should I smoke today, pull to PP, put in fridge - but just keep separate from mojo until I warm it all up together ~hour before guests?
C ) should I suffer & smoke shoulder overnight instead (not as easy) and finish up early sat, only to FTC and pull fresh (no fridge) & add mojo marinade just before guests arrive?

Or other?  

Thanks y’all.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    I would not do A and I don't think C is necessary...personally, I would do a version of B where I vacuum sealed the PP (separate from mojo), reheat in simmering water or a sous vide, and mix just before serving, but a ziplock bag would work just as well.  I would also not fully pull it, just big chunks and pull it the rest of the way when you add the mojo. Good luck!
    Toronto ON
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    There's a joke here somewhere.... 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    I’d go with C) personally, but then I’m a glutton for punishment.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • NDG
    edited June 2019
    Simcan said:
    I would not do A and I don't think C is necessary...personally, I would do a version of B where I vacuum sealed the PP (separate from mojo), reheat in simmering water or a sous vide, and mix just before serving, but a ziplock bag would work just as well.  I would also not fully pull it, just big chunks and pull it the rest of the way when you add the mojo. Good luck!
    Love this - didn’t consider keeping it semi full (big chunks) with SV warm up !  I did the Costco double 8 lb boneless - I always SV in large stock pot, but these 2 rascals won’t fit, so I could try a cooler I guess. Thanks @Simcan
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    ColtsFan said:
    There's a joke here somewhere.... 
    serious as a heart attack 
    Columbus, OH

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    have done this recipe several times and the texture was fine so maybe compare. wdans recipe needs 2 to 3 times more garlic, my only complaint with it

Pork, Butt, Lechon Asado, Mojo, WDAN, Cuban

As I mentioned during the December holidays, I did a low 'n slow pork butt called Lechon Asado for New Years' Eve. Oh yeah, baby! If you are looking for yet another excuse to do L&S pork butt, but want it different than traditional Carolina pull, try this! My guests loved it and I actually liked it too (I'm my own worst critic).While this is a Cuban Christmas Eve roast-a-whole-pig thing, I approximated it by doing a 9.5 lb pork butt on the egg.

INGREDIENTS:
    Marinade (do it for 24 hrs)
    12-15 Cloves as many as you're willing to mince) cloves garlic
    1 Tbs kosher salt
    2 tsp cumin (ground)
    2 tsp oregano (dried)
    1 1/2 cups fresh lime juice
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1 Tbs olive oil
    It would be best if you can do this in a food processor and get it to turn out like a thick salad dressing...I was lazy and just hand-blended it all in a bowl...but it seemed to work just fine.
    After 12- 24 hrs of marinating, egg the pig indirectly at a dome temp of 250-ish until meat internal temp is 200 -- just like you're doing a pull. My 9.5 lb butt needed a little over 20 hrs. I used some peach wood in the lump intead of doing my normal hic
    The meat had a decidedly different flavor than the normal fair and was further differentiated by the Mojo sauce:
    MOJO SAUCE
    1 cup olive oil
    12 cloves garlic (sliced thin)
    1 cup fresh lime juice
    1/3 cup orange juice
    2 tsp kosher salt
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp dried oregano
    ground black pepper to taste (~1 tsp)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NDG
    @fishlessman tnx - very similar 
    Columbus, OH

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    I made it last summer (its great btw) and I did option A with no noticeable difference.  I left in my DO overnight and then heated on stovetop next day to serve.  Froze what was left in Vac Seal and reheated in warm water- never noticed any difference.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2019

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NDG
    @xfire_ATX great to hear - tnx.  @SmokeyPitt I did read that post, for some reason the peppers & onions braise seems to familiar to me (other cooks in crock pot etc) , I just want blast of clean mojo.  I was able to borrow the APL book from my library so went with his method of inject / brine then smoke, pull & mojo sauce.  Thanks for the posts.
    Columbus, OH

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    NDG said:
    these recipes are calling for orange juice, what you really want are blood oranges, they used to be really hard to find but im seeing them more and more.  if you make a serving sauce from the mojo it will need more limes so taste it first and add as necessary
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    NDG said:
    Got out my bbq guru and did it overnight - looking & smelling fine - now in FTC as I contemplate the next step . .
    Strong move buddy - that looks incredible.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Simcan
    Looking perfect!

Toronto ON
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    NDG said:
    these recipes are calling for orange juice, what you really want are blood oranges, they used to be really hard to find but im seeing them more and more.  if you make a serving sauce from the mojo it will need more limes so taste it first and add as necessary
    Sour oranges are what you really want.  The lime/orange or lemon/lime/orange are substitutes (use two parts orange to one part lemon and one part lime).

Needs sour orange flavored with 
    garlic cloves, salt, black peppercorns, and oregano.  Like many other classics, many variations have been made by adding all sorts of other things.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• NDG
    Thanks - sampled it and very happy . . But got done so early so had to Vac Seal . . @Simcan from fridge, what temp & time you suggest for SV before mix & serve ?
    Columbus, OH

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    You have to reheat the pork to 165F. 
  • Simcan
    I am not usually very scientific about it but 165 for an hour or two should do it.  You can put the pork in the bath as it is heating up, you don't have to wait until it is 165.
    Toronto ON
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    Looks Great !!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dannys
    dannys Posts: 163
    NDG said:
    Sour oranges are what you really want.  The lime/orange or lemon/lime/orange are substitutes (use two parts orange to one part lemon and one part lime).

Needs sour orange flavored with 
    garlic cloves, salt, black peppercorns, and oregano.  Like many other classics, many variations have been made by adding all sorts of other things.
    I agree with you. Sour oranges are what should be used. The substitute I've seen is the juice from oranges and grapefruit.  
  • NDG
    dannys said:
    NDG said:

Needs sour orange flavored with garlic cloves, salt, black peppercorns, and oregano.  Like many other classics, many variations have been made by adding all sorts of other things.
    I agree with you. Sour oranges are what should be used. The substitute I've seen is the juice from oranges and grapefruit.  
    I actually made a dry rub (Couldnt get myself to just pull and dry after marinade) where I added the zest of a Full Grapefruit to equal parts Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Mex Oregeno, S&P . . Grapefruit smelled good so juiced it in my mojo finishing sauce 🤷🏻‍♂️ 
    Columbus, OH

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Those look freaking amazing. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NDG
    Doing this EXACT cook again for 20+ guests . . .

Just a PSA about how Nice it is to document your cooks here on the forum.

I forgot many details but here it is!!  Post here for others sure - but selfishly it is amazing to reference later as a Road Map!!
    Columbus, OH

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Freaking awesome.  Keep us posted.  Good way to stay alert on a Friday night!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • NDG
    5:00am my Bluetooth thermometer (thermoworks smoke) beeping in my ear - ran out of lump in the egg !! Not used to the kickash basket on long cooks - KA bucket seems to do great job keeping temp but burns fuel faster maybe??

Brought pork into warm oven as I let the new lump burn for 20 mins - all back running now and meat around the “stall” at 163F.  Sorry no pics yet.
    Columbus, OH

•  I always fill the egg as full as possible on a overnight cook. Nice save BTW!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    If it burned lump faster, the temp would’ve been hotter.  Probably it just holds less lump but maybe that’s not visually obvious.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Hope it's still going strong

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • NDG
    Yea all was great - it’s a nice recipe for sure.  Also grilled apps - nueske Bacon wrapped goat cheese stuffed dates . . Always a hit.
    Columbus, OH