Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,629
    edited May 2019
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I asked my wife what she wanted for a gift. Her response, "Will you clean my car?" She knows how I clean my vehicles. It's way more than her running a vacuum through it and calling it good. 

Here I am 7 hours later and still not finished. The seats and carpet are vacuumed and shampooed. Windows, console, and dash tomorrow. Why couldn't she have just asked for a necklace or some earrings! ;)

Mmm-'kay, you remove the front seats when you clean a vehicle?

You win.   :s

EDIT:  And now that I see your level of intensity, how DO you clean windows?  Dad taught me to use Windex and crumpled-up newsprint, which is abrasive and really cuts thru the film but I always see missed spots as I'm driving into the sun.  Suggestions?  

"In the high school halls, in the shopping malls,

Be cool, or be cast out"  

-  Rush, Subdivisions 

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,901
    Options
    Eoin said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    Nothing...
    Help me out lads - first Saturday after football season and no cricket or rugby either.   I have done the lawns - including a rake and feed, walked the dog twice, tidied the loft and even polished the wood floors.  Not even 4.30.   I have deferred some tasks to tomorrow in order to avoid a vacuum developing.  

Do I need to get in to shaving or foster an overalls habit? 
    Get on ebay and buy yourself a restoration project for the summer off season. Sight unseen, minimum 4 pints before buying. What could possibly go wrong?
    How prescient;  I was in fact doing the exact opposite yesterday morning.   Child #2's Peugeot has an electrical fault & we all know what that means.  Weighing up the scrap value with an Ebay listing for it as a road legal (MOT until July) parts bin.Sad how something like a broken wire takes the car 'over the rainbow bridge'.

In stark contrast to me, he has no emotional attachment to it (or any car) at all.  His sister gifted it to him, I did all the admin and 'deep-cleaned' it to my satisfaction prior to the birthday hand-over,  but he has used it as a moving 'floordrobe'.  And now it turns out someone is willing him to lend him a car u.f.n, and someone else is keen to offload an A3 on him for peanuts.   
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,427
    Options
    Lighting the egg, little brisket flat on tap for today.  It will be dinner, but mostly it’s for chili that will go to an baby shower at the office this week.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,800
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    Eoin said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    Nothing...
    Help me out lads - first Saturday after football season and no cricket or rugby either.   I have done the lawns - including a rake and feed, walked the dog twice, tidied the loft and even polished the wood floors.  Not even 4.30.   I have deferred some tasks to tomorrow in order to avoid a vacuum developing.  

Do I need to get in to shaving or foster an overalls habit? 
    Get on ebay and buy yourself a restoration project for the summer off season. Sight unseen, minimum 4 pints before buying. What could possibly go wrong?
    How prescient;  I was in fact doing the exact opposite yesterday morning.   Child #2's Peugeot has an electrical fault & we all know what that means.  Weighing up the scrap value with an Ebay listing for it as a road legal (MOT until July) parts bin.Sad how something like a broken wire takes the car 'over the rainbow bridge'.

In stark contrast to me, he has no emotional attachment to it (or any car) at all.  His sister gifted it to him, I did all the admin and 'deep-cleaned' it to my satisfaction prior to the birthday hand-over,  but he has used it as a moving 'floordrobe'.  And now it turns out someone is willing him to lend him a car u.f.n, and someone else is keen to offload an A3 on him for peanuts.   
     You can’t fix the broken wire?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,097
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Botch said:
    WeberWho said:
    I asked my wife what she wanted for a gift. Her response, "Will you clean my car?" She knows how I clean my vehicles. It's way more than her running a vacuum through it and calling it good. 

Here I am 7 hours later and still not finished. The seats and carpet are vacuumed and shampooed. Windows, console, and dash tomorrow. Why couldn't she have just asked for a necklace or some earrings! ;)

Mmm-'kay, you remove the front seats when you clean a vehicle?

You win.   :s

EDIT:  And now that I see your level of intensity, how DO you clean windows?  Dad taught me to use Windex and crumpled-up newsprint, which is abrasive and really cuts thru the film but I always see missed spots as I'm driving into the sun.  Suggestions?  
    I'm far from a professional. Windex and paper towels here. We use Windex and coffee filters for our glass tables inside the house. That will give you a streak free finish. That's a lot of coffee filters for a vehicle though. 

The Weathertechs do a descent job collecting most stuff. It's the damn dog hair that gets everywhere. The seats take under 10 minutes to remove with an impact wrench and disconnecting wires. It makes removing dog hair and shampooing the seats a million times easier. 

Edit: Just make sure you have a OBD scanner if taking your seats out. It might pull up a code and light up your dash with an airbag warning. The OBD scaner is a good tool to have if you don't have one. Just a heads up for anyone who takes out their seats for some reason or another. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Eoin said:
    WeberWho said:

I am amazed at the effort some of you guys put into cleaning your cars. It must be 9 months since mine was washed and it's not great inside either.
    It looks great after vacuuming. It's not until you start shampooing the seats and carpet to see what you're really sitting in. I was shocked to see what the carpet cleaner was pulling out of the fabric. Vacuuming only gets you so far when doing a deep clean. The other big issue is dragging salt inside the vehicle during winter. That needs to come out. 

My truck is probably as dirty as the next guys.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,038
    Options
    smokingal said:
    Took a break from all the red meat consumption and used some North Atlantic cod to try my hand at fish-n-chips for the first time.  Definitely enjoyed having properly seasoned fish for a change.

Ok, here is the deal. You can't post this cook and not share the step by step instructions on how I, er....we, can replicate this cook. It is in the thread rules. ( I did not write them, just saying).
    Seriously, this is My Beautiful Wife's favorite comfort food that I fail at making every time I try. Would love to be able to provide this for her.
    There is a place here in Louisville (Irish Rover, if you ever make it here and you like Irish fare, this is the place) that makes outstanding fish and chips using cod, I would love to stop taking her there to get it.
    Beautiful cook, thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,901
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:

Shorthand for an electrical fault, as yet undetected or diagnosed.  It's Somewhere between the central locking element of the 'brain' and the door locks. No faults reported on the OBD.
    Last roll of the dice tomorrow morning.   As ever, its not the single part but the overall costs and effort of dissecting the car's wiring loom.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    CPFC1905 said:

Shorthand for an electrical fault, as yet undetected or diagnosed.  It's Somewhere between the central locking element of the 'brain' and the door locks. No faults reported on the OBD.
    Last roll of the dice tomorrow morning.   As ever, its not the single part but the overall costs and effort of dissecting the car's wiring loom.
    Galvanic corrosion is often the culprit.   Get some DeoxIT and disassemble connections on the wiring harness, squirt some of that stuff in there and there's a good chance it will fix the problem, especially in older cars.   Or just set it on fire.
    Options

Galvanic corrosion is often the culprit.   Get some DeoxIT and disassemble connections on the wiring harness, squirt some of that stuff in there and there's a good chance it will fix the problem, especially in older cars.   Or just set it on fire.
    Would be handy for a truck to reverse in to it.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    smokingal said:
    Took a break from all the red meat consumption and used some North Atlantic cod to try my hand at fish-n-chips for the first time.  Definitely enjoyed having properly seasoned fish for a change.

Ok, here is the deal. You can't post this cook and not share the step by step instructions on how I, er....we, can replicate this cook. It is in the thread rules. ( I did not write them, just saying).
    Seriously, this is My Beautiful Wife's favorite comfort food that I fail at making every time I try. Would love to be able to provide this for her.
    There is a place here in Louisville (Irish Rover, if you ever make it here and you like Irish fare, this is the place) that makes outstanding fish and chips using cod, I would love to stop taking her there to get it.
    Beautiful cook, thank you for sharing.
    Chips are hard to do without a deep fat fryer, but battered fish is easy even shallow fried and turned once. I usually get a thick cod loin and cut into chunks to make shallow frying easier. Flour and water batter is all you need, sparkling water makes it a bit lighter.

Just looked and found this. Delia is a legend in the UK. https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/collections/delia-online-cookery-school/shallow-fried-fish

Don't forget the malt vinegar.
  • Eoin
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:

One of my guys reversed into a crappy old Pug 205 in a car park, worth less than a grand. By the time the whiplash claim was paid (yes, in a low speed car park prang), the hire car, the value of the car and the ambulance chaser's fee, the total claim came to £9k. Just remember to get out of the car clutching your neck if a truck does reverse into you.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,798
    Options
    Eoin said:
    CPFC1905 said:

One of my guys reversed into a crappy old Pug 205 in a car park, worth less than a grand. By the time the whiplash claim was paid (yes, in a low speed car park prang), the hire car, the value of the car and the ambulance chaser's fee, the total claim came to £9k. Just remember to get out of the car clutching your neck if a truck does reverse into you.
    No worries-same instant injury deal on this side of the pond.  The major culprit is the not paying attention "rear-ender" (without authorization =) )that has ever increased as autos are seen as office space and nothing more.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    @YukonRon I reviewed the article that @Eoin posted and it's pretty much on point with what I did, with a few exceptions.

1.  'High heat' is vague.  I used corn oil at 2.5" deep and got it up to 380F in a cast iron pan.
    2.  My batter used ice cold club soda.
    3.  The fish sections need to be lightly coated in a very light flour (rice, cornstarch, etc).  I used potato starch.  This helps the batter adhere to the fish.
    4.  When dipping the fish in the batter, I used a wooden skewer to flip the pieces and to place them in the frying pan, so as to not rub any batter off with my fingers.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,806
    Options
    Trying to figure out how we just dropped $140 at Publix but I don’t have anything to eat for lunch 🤷‍♀️.... currently eating cheese and peanut butter. This happens way to often... but hey I did get beer!
    I can remember a time when a 140 bucks would fill up 2 shopping carts. Now you easily carry a 140 bucks of stuff in one hand if you ain’t real carful. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eoin
    Options
    smokingal said:
    @YukonRon I reviewed the article that @Eoin posted and it's pretty much on point with what I did, with a few exceptions.

1.  'High heat' is vague.  I used corn oil at 2.5" deep and got it up to 380F in a cast iron pan.
    2.  My batter used ice cold club soda.
    3.  The fish sections need to be lightly coated in a very light flour (rice, cornstarch, etc).  I used potato starch.  This helps the batter adhere to the fish.
    4.  When dipping the fish in the batter, I used a wooden skewer to flip the pieces and to place them in the frying pan, so as to not rub any batter off with my fingers.
    Agreed on the high heat comment, I found I got much better results when I started measuring the temperature of the oil rather than guessing.
  • Botch
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    We use Windex and coffee filters for our glass tables inside the house. That will give you a streak free finish. That's a lot of coffee filters for a vehicle though. 
    I'll try this; since I don't drink coffee I should have plenty of filters lying around. =)  

Be cool, or be cast out"  

-  Rush, Subdivisions 

• Botch
    Options
    You'd think, to make it into the Preakness, you'd be a pretty dang fast horse and all entries would be evenly matched. And so, I'd also expect that any horse that loses 96 lbs or so of mostly-dead weight, at the beginning of the race, should have no problem beating the rest of the field.
    I mean, like most NASCAR drivers, he didn't miss a turn... 😛

Be cool, or be cast out"  

-  Rush, Subdivisions 

• RiverBBQ
    RiverBBQ Posts: 193
    Options

Blackstone smashed with Krispy Kreme as buns.. the best weird thing yet... highly suggested
    You can’t get to Loganville, Ga from anywhere. You have to start somewhere else
  • rlew
    rlew Posts: 68
    Options

Recovering form putting the new winch on. Good grief, it is a tight fit.

• WeberWho
    Options
    Botch said:
    WeberWho said:
    We use Windex and coffee filters for our glass tables inside the house. That will give you a streak free finish. That's a lot of coffee filters for a vehicle though. 
    I'll try this; since I don't drink coffee I should have plenty of filters lying around. =)  
    I don't drink coffee either. I believe coffee filters come in all different sizes. I would imagine the bigger filters can't be all that expensive. They do work slick though when we use them inside for glass. 

Minnesota
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,342
    Options
    SGH said:
    Trying to figure out how we just dropped $140 at Publix but I don’t have anything to eat for lunch 🤷‍♀️.... currently eating cheese and peanut butter. This happens way to often... but hey I did get beer!
    I can remember a time when a 140 bucks would fill up 2 shopping carts. Now you easily carry a 140 bucks of stuff in one hand if you ain’t real carful. 
    Yea man, I hear ya! Especially when you're trying to get fancy with meals!  We ended up having shrimp scampi and crab cakes for dinner so I guess I have to make sacrifices somewhere 😂.
    LBGE
    AL
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Just got home from a weekend of diving. Not a lot of shootable fish unfortunately....but did luck out on the sand dollars