Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seasoning a Steak pre cook

johnmitchell
johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
I have tried so many different seasonings on steaks pre cook, but am never able to detect the different tastes... What do you guys use ?
Greensboro North Carolina
When in doubt Accelerate....

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    salt.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I have 2 answers for you.

1) A good friend who is a much better cook than I has experimented over the years and he likes Montreal Steak Seasoning on one side and Uncle Chris' Steak Seasoning on the other side.  His wife won't let him do it any other way.

2) I've experimented some over the years and basically feel similar to you - although I think that if I layer it on fairly thick I can taste some of the flavors (onion, garlic, etc) other than the salt and pepper.  So I put a base layer of whatever rub I'm in the mood for - and then I usually add a second layer (not too thick - just enough for an accent) of fresh ground pepper and Kosher salt.

YMMV.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Salt before, pepper after.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    salt before the sear, anything that burns after the sear
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    first choice is a good sea salt and fresh cracked tellicherry pepper
    Sometimes I add garlic and onion powder

I also like coffee rubs from time to time. https://www.oakridgebbq.com/product/signature-edition-carne-crosta-steakhouse-rub/ is my favorite for that

And santa maria seasonings are good as well. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Foghorn said:

1) A good friend who is a much better cook than I has experimented over the years and he likes Montreal Steak Seasoning on one side and Uncle Chris' Steak Seasoning on the other side.  His wife won't let him do it any other way.

2) I've experimented some over the years and basically feel similar to you - although I think that if I layer it on fairly thick I can taste some of the flavors (onion, garlic, etc) other than the salt and pepper.  So I put a base layer of whatever rub I'm in the mood for - and then I usually add a second layer (not too thick - just enough for an accent) of fresh ground pepper and Kosher salt.

YMMV.
    I am a big fan of Montreal Steak Seasoning on all beef. It is great used sparingly on burgers, or heavy on a rib roast.....or middle of the road on a nice steak. That said, @Yukonron has turned me on to a Gunpowder rub that I am now mixing in as well. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 261
    Pretty hard to beat just straight S&P on a good ribeye, at least in my book.

If I have the time, I do the Alton Brown method of salting, put on cake rack/ plate, then leave in the fridge for ~6 hours.   All the salt is absorbed into the meat.
    Raleigh, NC
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Coarse Koser salt four hours before cook time. Set it on a wire cooking rack then put it back in the fridge, uncovered. Pepper after serving.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I'm really puzzled as to how a steak's seasonings don't seem noticeable.  It seems really obvious to me whether I've used:
    I love all of those, but they seem as different as night and day to me, immediately obvious flavor.
  • johnmitchell
    Thanks guys.. I stopped bought a prime Ribeye and am going with plain old Salt and Pepper tonight. I like @Legume plan.. Salt first then pepper afterwards..
  • johnmitchell
    Theophan said:
    I'm really puzzled as to how a steak's seasonings don't seem noticeable.  It seems really obvious to me whether I've used:
    I love all of those, but they seem as different as night and day to me, immediately obvious flavor.
    South African braai spice.. Now that I can organize 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I like S&P, but I really enjoy Spade L ranch beef, I rub it in all over the steak, both sides:

http://www.spadelranch.com/

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Penzys Chicago Style Seasoning, one of the best out there. 

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    of the many ways I've cooked a steak, caveman style is my favorite. The crust turns out great. The spices in most rubs burn on the coals, and then don't add a lot. Montreal-style steak seasoning (like DP Raising the Steaks) seems to fare pretty well with this method, so thats what I use. If I don't have any of that then just S&P, please. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    I found a steak run from Oakridge Bbq called Carne Crosta. Package says it’s good to go at high heat. I’ve tried it once and it was delicious. Didn’t have a burned taste and formed a nice crust. 

Montreal steak seasoning is also a go to 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    SPG like most and don't discount using a compound butter @ the end 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    lkapigian said:
    SPG like most and don't discount using a compound butter @ the end 
    +1 to finishing.  Compound butter is great, chimichurri is great.  Good olive oil, rosemary, and thyme makes a great bird sauce.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Dry brine with the salt for at least 24 hours and then anything else (fresh cracked pepper and an occasional shake of garlic) on the then cave-man finished side. As noted by @caliking the crust is the winner and the seasonings are a solid second or third act.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Dizzy Pig Cowlick, but I hit it with a little extra salt and pepper.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Hairless_Hand
    Hairless_Hand Posts: 214
    Mis Rubins Black Magic along with salt and some fresh cracked pepper. https://misrubins.com/products/black-magic-seasoning
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Foghorn said:

1) A good friend who is a much better cook than I...
    @caliking
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Photo Egg said:
    Foghorn said:

1) A good friend who is a much better cook than I...
    @caliking
      :pirate:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.