Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

South African Braai rub

Theophan
Theophan Posts: 2,654
I know some of you get twitchy when the NY Times is mentioned, but they had a rub that supposedly derives from South Africa, where they say grilling is huge, very much more so than here, even!  The rub sounded really good, and I tried it tonight on a steak, and loved it!  "Braai" apparently is just the South African term for "grill."

South African Braai spice rub:
4 tablespoons coarse salt
2 tablespoons white or brown sugar (optional)
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 tablespoon paprika or 2 teaspoons paprika plus 1 teaspoon cayenne
1 tablespoon garlic flakes or powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon dried thyme

I didn't feel like getting out the Maverick for the slow part of a reverse sear, but I didn't check it often enough and the steak got a bit more done than I wanted, but it was still delicious.

And this will probably sound awful, but I also tried a recipe (not on the Egg, I'm afraid) for baked beans with sauerkraut in them, and I really think they were the best baked beans I've ever made.  Wow, they were good!  Not typical baked beans, and I love sauerkraut, but I could picture people who didn't even like sauerkraut liking this.  Really good.  My wife hates sauerkraut and wouldn't try them...  :)  Just white beans, sauerkraut, bacon, Polish sausage, brown sugar, and a tiny bit of ketchup.  Much better than I had expected from the ingredients.

The rub, freshly ground and mixed up -- freshly ground coriander seeds were the most prominent fragrance, but the mixture really was good:

The steak with the rub on it:

On the Egg:

Done:

And on a plate with the beans (I confess that there were other pieces that were a lot more done <sigh> -- still, they were delicious):

And again, I didn't cook these in the Egg, but here are the beans fresh out of the oven:

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,984
    We use a store bought braai rub a lot and like it very much. 

Yes, apparently the word braai is quite versatile -like barbecue. You can braai (verb) some braai (food) on your braai (cooking device)

Great cook and great post. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,732
    This is a traditional South african Braai. Apparently a lot of people have these inside their homes.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,071
    My SIL lives in Ghana, kind of NW in Africa. They are always invited to events which involve BBQ. I will have to inquire about seasonings they have accumulated. She and my BIL are excellent chefs. Will share the info on here.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Foghorn said:
    ... You can braai (verb) some braai (food) on your braai (cooking device)

Great cook and great post. 
    Never occurred to me, but yeah, I guess you can barbecue some barbecue on your barbecue.  <laughing>  Thanks!

This is a traditional South african Braai. Apparently a lot of people have these inside their homes.

Holy Toledo!!!  That looks amazing, but it can't be a cheap setup.  Wow, it's cool, though!

YukonRon said:
    My SIL lives in Ghana, kind of NW in Africa. They are always invited to events which involve BBQ. I will have to inquire about seasonings they have accumulated. She and my BIL are excellent chefs. Will share the info on here.
    Please do!