Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT**The Unofficially Official Pizza Thread**OT

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Wanasmoke said:

Cold, snow, ice .... and pizza!!  BBQ Chicken with sriracha ranch was a new one as well as prosciutto, burrata and arugula. 
    Way to get out there and not let the weather win!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Deep dish last night.
  • So do any of you have a traditional sauce recipe you would recommend? While I enjoy standard the San Marzano, garlic, salt, pepper and Olive oil I've been using lately, I'm looking for a more New York Style sauce.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    So do any of you have a traditional sauce recipe you would recommend? While I enjoy standard the San Marzano, garlic, salt, pepper and Olive oil I've been using lately, I'm looking for a more New York Style sauce. 
    Kenji's NY recipe is great!

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza-sauce.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• So do any of you have a traditional sauce recipe you would recommend? While I enjoy standard the San Marzano, garlic, salt, pepper and Olive oil I've been using lately, I'm looking for a more New York Style sauce. 
    Kenji's NY recipe is great!

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza-sauce.html

Cool ya using the googlemachine this afternoon I found that one and printed it off. Going to try it this week

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    you won't be disappointed!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Photo Egg

Frozen pizza, on sale for $2.99. Sometimes I just want junk food.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ryantt said:
    So one of the favorites in our house  Stromboli filled with pesto, tomatoes, mushrooms, fresh  mozzarella  and hot Italian sausage. 
    Whoa!  I’d like to see what that bad boy looks like on the inside.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • There are some awesome looking pies and Strombolis on this thread. I hate to taint it with my little dinky pie below. 

This is was my first cook with the raised grid setup I threw together this week.  Cooking above the gasket made a difference. 

Toppings were roasted sweet peppers, onions and country ham.  The dough was store bought for a quick weeknight meal. The bottom turned out more done than the top. The dough seemed dense and tough. 

I used the platesetter legs down with 6” long threaded rod supporting the grid topped with a stone. I let everything preheat around 30 minutes. The pizza was placed on the egg at 450 per the dough bag directions - in reality the dome temp was probably 400-415 most of the cook. Would this have anything to do with tough dough/crust and less cooked toppings?

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    How long can 00 dough balls be refrigerated? Frozen? Meant to make a smaller batch and have too many to eat right away.
  • Photo Egg
    ryantt said:
    So one of the favorites in our house  Stromboli filled with pesto, tomatoes, mushrooms, fresh  mozzarella  and hot Italian sausage. 
    Cut photo?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Made a spinach, tomato, feta cheese and garlic pie

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Cashfan said:
    How long can 00 dough balls be refrigerated? Frozen? Meant to make a smaller batch and have too many to eat right away.
    I have refrigerated proofed balls for 4 days no problem, despite what a few books say (Many say to use within 1-2 days). I have frozen balls for up to 1 month, no issues.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I haven’t been on this thread in a long time.   I have to say, y’all are moving some serious you know what with these pies.  Great work everyone.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95

• Pesto & tomato, garlic, and buffalo chicken
    Washington County, MD

Large & MM, Blackstone Griddles (36" & Tailgater)
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Made a small pie using the fattier end of some sous vide, smoked beef tongue, along with parmesan and cotija cheeses.

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182

A simple quick pie for dinner tonight that made me realize I was an idiot for not instituting a step in my pizza cooks sooner.  Putting semolina flour on my pizza peel to allow for an easy release of the pie into the pizza oven! Constantly was battling with getting pizzas into the oven with ease and keeping uniformity. Feeling kinda dumb for not doing it sooner but oh well.

Anywho...pizza was a crushed red pepper flake and roasted garlic red sauce on the bottom. Next was large pepperonis. Smoked mozzarella. Drizzle of olive oil, and then once out of the roccbox topped basil and a touch of garlic scape salt.

Brandon - Ohio

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164

Lost my dough recipie and went from memory. My memory wasn’t too good, so some improvisation was required. Came out good. Toppings were mushrooms, onion, tomatoe, garlic and some Smoked Speck Ham. Mozzarella and fresh grated Parmesan.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636

Nice pie Robin. Crust looks good.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,865

I’d hit it.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791

Fellows there is some great looking pies in this thread. Quite impressive to be honest.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Photo Egg

I have got to stop opening this thread before I eat breakfast!

Excellent!

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 839

We did pizza a week ago and turned out some great pies. Wife and kids are not pepper or onion people so I make several pizzas for them and follow with the dad pizza.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352

This thread is awesome!

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95