Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bourbon

Comments

• Wild Turkey 101 is a must have , Four Roses Single Barrel , Eagle Rare , Buffalo Trace is fantastic . Weller OWA is my fav but very hard to find . 
    Cambridge, Ontario , Canada . XL BGE
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    I usually try to keep my budget under $40 when I’m in the liquor store but I will go higher for special occasions. I have been on a Buffalo Trace kick for the past few months. It is a solid cheaper bourbon, at least the version I buy. $22 and I think I like it better than makers mark 🤫!
    LBGE
    AL
  • I currently have:
    Old Van Winkle 10
    Weller Special Reserve
    Weller Antique
    McKenna bottled in bond
    Elijah Craig small batch barrel proof C918
    Boom
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354

Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    Costco had Jefferson’s Ocean for $65 ?
    Jacksonville FL
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @ColtsFan I feel bad, I don’t think I’ve seen ER 10 for more than $40 around here!

OP just try different stuff and see what you like. I love bulleit rye with a cube of ice. And four roses single barrel and eagle rare. Makers mark is my favorite for a Manhattan. 

If you want to splurge, you can try something high end like orphan barrel. Really delicious but I don’t find it 4x better for 4x the price. I’m not a bourbon connoisseur - anything more than say Blantons is probably wasted on me. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Not a big fan of the Breckenridge but see what you think. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited February 2019
    bgebrent said:
    Not a big fan of the Breckenridge but see what you think. 
    @bgebrent - what’s a matter with your taste buds?

Breckenridge would be my daily pour if it was easier for me to get ahold of.  Where you buying yours?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    No spark.  Find it without character.  I’ll stick with Knob and Woodford.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I currently have:
    Old Van Winkle 10
    Weller Special Reserve
    Weller Antique
    McKenna bottled in bond
    And when is it that you are hosting?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Aubie1
    Aubie1 Posts: 436
    Woodford, basil hayden, makers, knob creek, Elijah Craig, four roses are all very good and very commonly available at stores. Good place to start imo. Those are quality pours. There are many many more to check out. 
    This list probably is as good a starting point as any. Also, McKenna which was mentioned in a couple of other post. Recommend starting with the small batch offerings and then the single barrels. Try them neat and with a few drops of water to determine the palate likes/dislikes. 
    XL BGE and L BGE
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited February 2019
    beteez said:

That Pikesville rye was rec’d to me by a young hipster helping me at Binny’s find the Rittenhouse. Bought them both plus a few hundo additional. Both those ryes are real steals IMO. Great cocktail whiskeys. Nice spread. 
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    The Minor Case behind the Knob Rye Cask Strength is killer also.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    edited March 2019
    I currently have:
    Old Van Winkle 10
    Weller Special Reserve
    Weller Antique
    McKenna bottled in bond
    I recently grabbed Angel's Envy (probably a top 3 for me. I buy every chance I get) and Angel's Envy Straight Rye. First time getting their rye

Wow on that AE Rye. I have never tasted anything like that. The rye is there but the cognac/rum barrel they finish it in imparts a lot of sweetness. It is very unique. Worth trying, I think for many it'll be a love it or hate. I really love it. Not something you'll drink on all day though. After-dinner type drink 
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    thetrim said:
    I currently have:
    Old Van Winkle 10
    Weller Special Reserve
    Weller Antique
    McKenna bottled in bond
    come on over, we'll light up the grill and have a drink
    Boom
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Makers Mark, Makers 46, Makers Cask Strength, Makers Special Reserve.... yeah, I like Makers.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    thetrim said:
    I currently have:
    Old Van Winkle 10
    Weller Special Reserve
    Weller Antique
    McKenna bottled in bond
    Where exactly is "Boom"?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • FanOfFanboys
    thetrim said:
    thetrim said:
    I currently have:
    Old Van Winkle 10
    Weller Special Reserve
    Weller Antique
    McKenna bottled in bond
    Where exactly is "Boom"?
    I had a reason for putting that in my signature but that was several years ago and cannot remember what it was

Cayce, SC. road trip?
    Boom
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited March 2019
    Bought a bottle of Breckenridge on my way home from work today. Never tried it. $45.99 a bottle sound about right?
    Owner of the store gave me a sample of Contradiction. Was pretty smooth for 100 proof. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Wife bought me a bottle of Breckinridge for last years birthday.  It was ok, but twice the cost of Makers Mark.  I actually like Makers better.
  • Dobie
    Four Roses single barrel in the lead from my limited experience 
    Jacksonville FL
  • OshawaDave
    OshawaDave Posts: 198

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Just come to Louisville. there are some 15-20(?) distilleries within 15 miles of our home. Try them all on a tasting tour.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • FanOfFanboys
    YukonRon said:
    Just come to Louisville. there are some 15-20(?) distilleries within 15 miles of our home. Try them all on a tasting tour.
    if my schedule allows I plan to this fall when Clemson plays vs Louisville
    Boom
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Buffalo Trace has been my go to for years - tasty & price is right . . . all of a sudden though, Buffalo Trace sells out FAST.  I have to call before to make sure its available now.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    So, after a buddy turned me on to the Whistle Pig Boss Hog, I was with my wife and son at an upscale bar and Philly and saw it on the shelf. So I asked for some.

Bartender:  “... so you know about that whiskey, right?”.

Me:  “Yes, I drink it at a neighbor’s house from time to time.”

Bartender:  “So, you know it’s $200/shot”

Me:  “What do you have for around $30?”

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    NDG said:
    Buffalo Trace has been my go to for years - tasty & price is right . . . all of a sudden though, Buffalo Trace sells out FAST.  I have to call before to make sure its available now.
    Buffalo Trace as a distillery has gain tons of popularity and so all of their bourbons typically go fast.  When I first really started drinking bourbon about 10-15 years ago I could get a bottle of Eagle Rare for $30.  Now IF I'm lucky to find one its $40-$50.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Foghorn said:
    So, after a buddy turned me on to the Whistle Pig Boss Hog, I was with my wife and son at an upscale bar and Philly and saw it on the shelf. So I asked for some.

You should have said: “just leave the bottle son”.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Foghorn said:

You should have said: “just leave the bottle son”.
    Yeah... SWMBO gave me a hard time for spending $30 on a different Whistle Pig offering when she and my son had their specialty bar drinks for only $24...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX