Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bourbon

Options

Comments

• milesvdustin
    Options
    Evan William's is my jam. Buffalo trace too 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Evan William Black.  Just bought a case of handles today.  Rocket fuel for trolling.
    Options
    I skimmed the thread, sorry if this answer is a retread.  In regards to your question about a release schedule, that varies from state to state. 

In Virginia, liquor sales are controlled by the state.  So we not only have to wait for the distribution, but also for Virginia ABC to organize their distribution strategy.  For certain high end bottles, the entire state will only receive a few bottles and they hold a lottery for the right to purchase.  NC has a similar lottery system for Van Winkle products.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,869
    Options
    dcc said:
    Foghorn said:
    Have any Texans tried Yellow Rose Outlaw?

I’m still developing my whiskey palate but I had some last night and it seemed at least as good as most of what is mentioned above. (Of those, I’m partial to Eagle Rare).
    Outlaw is Yellow Roses 100% corn whiskey.  It is the only one distilled at their place in Houston.  They make a maple finished rye I enjoy also.  My favorite these days is Garrison Brothers from Hye TX.  Their double oaked Balmorhea is really nice and any of the barrel proofs are great.  Total Wine near me sells single barrel Garrisons at barrel proof.  Tours of the distillery are worth the trip too. Easy day trip from S.A.
     Very cool.

Thanks @dcc

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SandyHookEgger
    Options
    Nothing to add. All my favorites are covered here. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,369
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    I skimmed the thread, sorry if this answer is a retread.  In regards to your question about a release schedule, that varies from state to state. 

In Virginia, liquor sales are controlled by the state.  So we not only have to wait for the distribution, but also for Virginia ABC to organize their distribution strategy.  For certain high end bottles, the entire state will only receive a few bottles and they hold a lottery for the right to purchase.  NC has a similar lottery system for Van Winkle products.
    OK I guess if you see something you don’t have just grab it cause it may not be there all the time on the better stuff. Thanks guys.
    Jacksonville FL
  • gabriegger
    Options
    +1 what @pgprescott said at the outset.  Listed my faves.  Add Woodford Double Oaked to that list.  Wild Turkey Rare Batch will do the trick as well

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,524
    Options
    @Dobie As you continue your bourbon (brown water) journey you may find that when you find one you like, check out the mash bill (the recipe).
    Here's the mash bill for the Four Roses Single barrel; corn-60%, rye-35%, barley-5%.
    Here's the Maker's Mark bill; corn-70%, wheat-16%, barley-14%. 
    Clearly, beyond the minimum requirement for at least 51% corn the remainder of the bill is quite wide.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    edited February 2019
    Options
    bourbons are typically too sweet for me. pick up a bottle of bulleit rye
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options
    Angel's Envy is really good.  Exceptional, actually.

It's even better when someone in KY sends it to you!

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Makers Mark. It's my every day and my special day Bourbon. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Teefus
    Options
    RRP said:
     Keep in mind that manhattans and old fashioned are lovely when made with bourbon. Good way to use up some of your “mistakes “
    My story about Manhattans. Years ago Manhattans were what my wife and I always ordered when we ate out. So on our first vacation up in Rhinelander, WI that's what we ordered. The drinks arrived and they tasted VERY weird! I called the waitress back and I told her something was not right with our drinks! She took them back and when she returned with two new drinks -which tasted fine- she nonchalantly asked if we were vacationing from IL perhaps? I said yes and she replied that's what the barkeeper figured. He had told her that Manhattans in WI are commonly made with flavored rum - not bourbon.

BTW on that vacation, but not at that roadhouse that night we encountered being referred to as "FIB"s. That term was later explained to us by another "F***king Illinois B*stard".
    Around here you'd be referred to as "FIP"s. "F***king Illinois People". It has it's origins in pushy Chicago folks with lots of cash that invade Harbor Country in Western Michigan every summer. The local merchants up there love their money but hate their attitudes and driving habits. You gotta like a classic love/hate relationship  =) 
  • Sandtree
    Options

Any of you gents tried the above? Given it’s a movie franchise I thought it’d be terrible but it’s the second best bourbon I’ve tried to date.
    London, UK

New LBGE Owner
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Teefus said:
    RRP said:
     Keep in mind that manhattans and old fashioned are lovely when made with bourbon. Good way to use up some of your “mistakes “
    My story about Manhattans. Years ago Manhattans were what my wife and I always ordered when we ate out. So on our first vacation up in Rhinelander, WI that's what we ordered. The drinks arrived and they tasted VERY weird! I called the waitress back and I told her something was not right with our drinks! She took them back and when she returned with two new drinks -which tasted fine- she nonchalantly asked if we were vacationing from IL perhaps? I said yes and she replied that's what the barkeeper figured. He had told her that Manhattans in WI are commonly made with flavored rum - not bourbon.

BTW on that vacation, but not at that roadhouse that night we encountered being referred to as "FIB"s. That term was later explained to us by another "F***king Illinois B*stard".
    Around here you'd be referred to as "FIP"s. "F***king Illinois People". It has it's origins in pushy Chicago folks with lots of cash that invade Harbor Country in Western Michigan every summer. The local merchants up there love their money but hate their attitudes and driving habits. You gotta like a classic love/hate relationship  =) 
    I get the attitude issue in and around the city, but it’s nothing compared to east coast tude. The driving issue is BS. Learn to drive up there! Wisconsin is even worse. They think the rear view mirror is never to be checked except for applications of cosmetics. The left lane is for driving directly adjacent to the other guy driving 2mph under the speed limit in the right lane  😂
  • Teefus
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Ha! Agree on the East Coast. Especially NY and CT. We road tripped to NY a couple years ago. 20 Over was apparently too slow.
  • RockyTopDW
    Options
    willet, stagg jr, and Jefferson's ocean are my favorites.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Wellers during the week, and Makers Mark on the weekends.  Wellers is always on sale here (KS) for $31.99 for the 1.75 liter.
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Was given some Jefferson’s as a gift, anyone ever have it?
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Jeffersons is very good

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,360
    Options
    $27 for the Woodford this week. ER was $52, $45 for Breckenridge 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,369
    Options
    Drinking my last swig of Woodford tonight, off to find some new stuff tomorrow  B)
    Jacksonville FL
  • thetrim
    Options
    Had a couple dark and stormys to start the weekend.  Rum drink.  
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    But I like rum!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,524
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Unless my eyes are totally failing you have about twice the quantity of ER as the Woodford in the pic.  Judge each on their own merits- FWIW.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,360
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Unless my eyes are totally failing you have about twice the quantity of ER as the Woodford in the pic.  Judge each on their own merits- FWIW.
    They're all 750ML 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    That’s an excellent selection 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,869
    Options
    I had some Rebecca Creek and some Woodford last night at the rodeo. The Rebecca Creek was free so it tasted better. 😀

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX