Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken And Chickpeas with Turmeric, Cumin, and Lemon

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
edited February 2019 in Poultry
Another recipe from “The Failing New York Times”.

This was done in the oven but I can see this being a killer BGE recipe. 

Chicken Marinated in Greek Yogurt, Turmeric, Lemon Juice, salt, and pepper

Chickpeas with EVOO, turmeric, cumin, salt and pepper. 

Onions pickled in in lemon juice salt and pepper. 

Fire in the hole:

And shes done:

All plated up:

The verdict? Really good and super easy. I did breasts instead of whole chicken. Was ready in 30 min (after the marinade step) and used one sheet pan. Great weekday meal and would work very well in a bge. 
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Nice!  Here's the link to the recipe for those who aren't afraid of failure:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018910-sheet-pan-chicken-with-chickpeas-cumin-and-turmeric
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018910-sheet-pan-chicken-with-chickpeas-cumin-and-turmeric
    That is the one. I tried to post from my phone and it was behind a paywall for some reason. Thanks for saving me a run up to my laptop. 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    That looks fantastic, and will fit nicely in the current Team Stone repertoire. 

Nicely done!
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    That looks fantastic, and will fit nicely in the current Team Stone repertoire. 

Nicely done!
    and easy peasy. give it a rip.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That looks wonderful! And that plated shot... wow!

For those of us who are too cheap to subscribe to the NYT, is this the same recipe? Or close enough? Thanks!

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/sheet-pan-chicken-with-chickpeas-cumin-and-turmeric-5a01f2a5d63f7339eb97b544

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That looks wonderful! And that plated shot... wow!

For those of us who are too cheap to subscribe to the NYT, is this the same recipe? Or close enough? Thanks!

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/sheet-pan-chicken-with-chickpeas-cumin-and-turmeric-5a01f2a5d63f7339eb97b544
    ha ha- it's the exact same recipe so one of them stole from the other.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Nice, looks great.  
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

From cooking.nytimes.com:

Ingredients

• 1 (3 1/2 to 4 pound) chicken, cut into parts (alternatively, 3 to 3 1/2 pounds of bone-in, skin-on chicken parts, such as breasts, thighs and legs)
    • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
    • 1 ½ cups full-fat Greek yogurt, divided
    • 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
    • 2 teaspoons ground turmeric, divided
    • 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    • 1 tablespoon fennel seed
    • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 1 large red onion, thinly sliced, divided
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • ½ cup mint or cilantro leaves, torn

Preparation

1. Season chicken parts with salt and pepper.
    2. Combine 3/4 cup yogurt, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 teaspoon turmeric and 2 tablespoons water in a large bowl. Season well with salt and pepper. (It should be on the salty side, as this is a marinade.) Add chicken and toss to coat evenly. Let sit at least 30 minutes at room temperature, and up to overnight in the refrigerator.
    3. Place oven rack on the top third of the oven and heat to 425 degrees.
    4. Combine chickpeas, fennel seed, cumin, remaining teaspoon of turmeric and half the red onion slices on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
    5. Move chickpeas to the outer edges of the baking sheet. Scrape any excess marinade off the chicken, and place the chicken parts in the center. Place baking sheet in oven and bake, tossing chickpeas occasionally, until the skin of the chicken is evenly browned and the chickpeas are golden and starting to crisp, 45 to 50 minutes.
    6. Meanwhile, toss remaining onion slices with 2 tablespoons lemon juice and season with salt and pepper; set aside.
    7. Combine remaining yogurt with remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice and season with salt and pepper; set aside.
    8. Once chicken is ready, scatter with lemony onions and mint or cilantro. Serve with seasoned yogurt alongside as a sauce.

I used 2 bone in chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken so I made half of the marinade (it was the perfect amount). It was ready in 30 minutes and probably should have been pulled in 25. If using only breasts, I recommend checking in 15 min and tossing the chickpeas so they crisp up on all sides.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Thanks!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice!!

Looks like a non-sauced version of chicken chholey (Pakistani dish; spelling varies), which is also very good over rice, or with naan. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options

What do you think about the NYT recipes? I saw a commercial and I checked it out online and it was $4.99 a month or $39.99 a year. Is it worth it? 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    g8golfer said:

What do you think about the NYT recipes? I saw a commercial and I checked it out online and it was $4.99 a month or $39.99 a year. Is it worth it? 
    I don’t pay for it. They keep serving me stuff on facebook and I’ve tried a few. This one was good and the Chicken Shwarma I tired (also posted on here) were good. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    well done!
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • gtcharlie
    Options
    g8golfer said:

I do subscribe and in my opinion it is well worth it.  Quite a library of recipes to draw from.  And as importantly a very active discussion section at the end of each recipe.  Having numerous comments, suggestions, and tips from readers who have made the recipes is invaluable in my opinion.  While I tend to stick pretty closely to a recipe the first time I make it I find user input extremely helpful in improving some of these recipes.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Looks great, and healthy. Hard to beat lean chicken and chickpeas. The chick-power combo!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    somehow i think my dr will be talking me into eating more food like this next week,  good thing i like this kind of food. will be trying this soon
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Looks great, thanks for sharing.  Saved the recipe, I have been cooking more recipes with turmeric lately, and will add this to the list!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    So nice we did it twice. Whole spatched bird this time and we cooked it 15 min before adding chickpeas and cauliflower to the sheet (Cauliflower was new this time too). This was even better than the last. 

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,069
    Options
    Awesome, going to try this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    The meal looks awesome!! How in the hell did you keep from killing the inside of the oven?   I tried CI splayed chicken in the oven and almost got banned from cooking inside. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    That looks awesome. I love chickpeas and always look for new ways to prepare them. Have been dry-searing in a pan with Indian spices, but roasting has now jumped to #1 on my list!  (And the spatch ain’t shabby at all either!!) 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    somehow i think my dr will be talking me into eating more food like this next week,  good thing i like this kind of food. will be trying this soon
    It’s delicious and super easy. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The meal looks awesome!! How in the hell did you keep from killing the inside of the oven?   I tried CI splayed chicken in the oven and almost got banned from cooking inside. 
    Hmmm- didn’t notice anything messy about it. No different than doing a roasted chicken which we do all the time with no crazy mess. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That looks awesome. I love chickpeas and always look for new ways to prepare them. Have been dry-searing in a pan with Indian spices, but roasting has now jumped to #1 on my list!  (And the spatch ain’t shabby at all either!!) 
    Chana masala (chick peas in indian spices) is one of my favorite foods on the planet. 
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    Sorry for a dumb question [wouldn't be my first  =)]  but do the chickpeas stay soft?
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sorry for a dumb question [wouldn't be my first  =)]  but do the chickpeas stay soft?
    Not dumb at all. They get a little crispy on the outside but soft in the middle. 
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    Not dumb at all. They get a little crispy on the outside but soft in the middle. 
    Thank You . . . needless to say I'm not familiar with chickpeas
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    We loaded up on chickens this weekend (to justify the 70 mile drive to get eggs), and will have to give this a try.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Tried this the other Sunday.  It was very good. I overcooked it a little though.
    Definitely will do again.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset