Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone planning to try the KJ Hyberbolic insert in their Egg?

Options
this accessory seems cool, given the KJ classic and egg are nearly the same size I’d asssume the Hyberbolic meant to fit the classic I and II would also fit a large bge. 

https://www.bbqing.com/products/kamado-joe-hyperbolic-insert-for-classic-joe

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Takes up takes up to much vertical space in Egg. The newer KJ models have a taller base to make these work.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Keep in mind it sits on the firebox, not the ring.  Also, those supports cast into it are for the divide and conquer system.....so you're probably going to need that too.  The gen3 is a different dimension too--its taller.  

I should have one in a few months, I'll give it a try and report back.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Keep in mind it sits on the firebox, not the ring.  Also, those supports cast into it are for the divide and conquer system.....so you're probably going to need that too.  The gen3 is a different dimension too--its taller.  

I should have one in a few months, I'll give it a try and report back.
    Please do.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I would never rule anything out, but I try to avoid solutions (especially expensive ones) to things I don't think are problems.
    Stillwater, MN
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    What's the benefit of this?
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    What's the benefit of this?
    I assume vs a plate setter that has a brisket or ribs potentially getting direct heat this also creates a indirect zone that in theory is larger and promotes better air flow?

just reading marketing material. Haven’t used one or seen one so your guess is as good as mine 
  • tenpenny_05
    Options
    I'm still confused too, so it increases convection??
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    I worked on Westinghouse gas turbines in the 80’s, and the fuel nozzle/air baskets were similar to this.  I actually went to school for several days at the factory in Hamilton ON to learn the theory!  Difference is they were 304 stainless that operated at 1500 deg F.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I worked on Westinghouse gas turbines in the 80’s
    I worked for Westinghouse in the mid to late 90’s. I spent a lot of time at their facility in Lake Wylie, SC. I left when Siemens finally took 100% control.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Yes yes I’m going to buy it for my xl egg and for our kJ classic if I do not end up buying something different for Norah Grace.  Looking at the Humphrey’s pint and battle box as an option for her cooking “needs”. She keeps having my wife and I buy her bbq stuff, which is fun but it’s getting expensive.  That’s all I’m going to say. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• cookingdude555
    Options
    ryantt said:
    Yes yes I’m going to buy it for my xl egg and for our kJ classic if I do not end up buying something different for Norah Grace.  Looking at the Humphrey’s pint and battle box as an option for her cooking “needs”. She keeps having my wife and I buy her bbq stuff, which is fun but it’s getting expensive.  That’s all I’m going to say. 

yes yes, you are buying it for her.   =)
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    I'm still confused too, so it increases convection??
    That’s the theory, better indirect convection 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    The hyperbolic insert design was inspired by this Harvard hour glass project?
    https://www.wired.com/2015/07/high-tech-bbq/
    canuckland
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It looks like an interesting concept but if you have to buy that and the divide and conquer system I am speculating it is at least $300 US. That is a pretty expensive solution to a problem I didn't know I had. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    we have kj III coming but this one, I may need to see to believe.  Simply, what happens to the rising cyclonic airflow when it hits a big brisket, multiple racks of ribs or couple pork butts.

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    The hyperbolic insert design was inspired by this Harvard hour glass project?
    https://www.wired.com/2015/07/high-tech-bbq/
    Yes. KJ worked with some of the folks that were members of that team to create the insert.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• johnmitchell
    Options
    Waiting on @nolaegghead for his assessment and pros and cons.....
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Waiting on @nolaegghead for his assessment and pros and cons.....
    oh cool, does he have one?  I've been looking for an owner that can give a concrete opinion.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    Hmmmm.  Marketing department outdid themselves this time?  Sounds incredible, almost unbelievable.

• damnedhooligan
    Options
    The teflon coating causes some concerns...I wonder what kind of test they did to ensure the coating doesnt break down. Unlikely anyone is doing indirect cooking at over 600 degrees but having teflon near a charcoal fire is unsettling...

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    The teflon coating causes some concerns...I wonder what kind of test they did to ensure the coating doesnt break down. Unlikely anyone is doing indirect cooking at over 600 degrees but having teflon near a charcoal fire is unsettling...

I'm not concerned about health, but it doesn't seem all that logical to coat something that sits next to flames with teflon.  Maybe I'm wrong.  

In any event, KJ deserves credit for their constant push for innovations.

Phoenix 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    blasting said:

I'm not concerned about health, but it doesn't seem all that logical to coat something that sits next to flames with teflon.  Maybe I'm wrong.  

In any event, KJ deserves credit for their constant push for innovations.

Agreed. I benefit from those innovations as my eggs typically can use these items. For all of us that have eggs (or KJ owners that already have their gear), it wouldn’t sway you one way or the other. But people looking to buy the first time, this will impact their decision. 
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    That thing is teflon coated? 

#thedevilweknow

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Actually a lot of folks on this forum do indirect cooks at temps over 600º.  PIZZA.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Actually a lot of folks on this forum do indirect cooks at temps over 600º.  PIZZA.
    That is a good point. I wonder if they only intend this to be used for lower temp cooks (say under 400?). At Pizza temps I would think that teflon coating will get cooked right off. 

I am not sure I see the point of the teflon coating anyway. I guess to make it easier to clean? I wonder if they envision using this with a drip pan or not. I would think that top plate would get pretty hot without a drip pan you could get some off flavors from burning drippings. Then again, I know plenty of people that never use a drip pan with their plate setter. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• littlerascal56
    Options
    I can visualize it lasting if it’s Teflon coated “cast iron”, as it will easily see 1000 degrees when it’s that close to the lump.  Teflon coated stainless would also take it, if it was not too thin.  I just need to see one in person the next time I get to The KJ dealer.
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    SGH said:
    I worked on Westinghouse gas turbines in the 80’s
    I worked for Westinghouse in the mid to late 90’s. I spent a lot of time at their facility in Lake Wylie, SC. I left when Siemens finally took 100% control.  
    Small world, I worked for Westinghouse Electric (nuclear power division in Pittsburgh) about a decade ago.  Offshoot of the same company.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Wer’re a bunch of electric power eggheads...LOL.  My speciality was steam turbines and combustion turbines.  I moved into wind generation in 2007.  These are on my shop walls.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    I can visualize it lasting if it’s Teflon coated “cast iron”, as it will easily see 1000 degrees when it’s that close to the lump.  Teflon coated stainless would also take it, if it was not too thin.  I just need to see one in person the next time I get to The KJ dealer.
    It’s cast aluminum