Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone planning to try the KJ Hyberbolic insert in their Egg?

Options
2»

Comments

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    with all of the "add ons" we see for KJ and the EGG for capacity and other special functions..

It be cheaper just to go ahead and bite the bullet on a big insulated gravity fed vertical.

IMO...

granted there is no cult following, but quality built none the less
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    billt01 said:
    with all of the "add ons" we see for KJ and the EGG for capacity and other special functions..

It be cheaper just to go ahead and bite the bullet on a big insulated gravity fed vertical.

IMO...

granted there is no cult following, but quality built none the less
    I had one of those.....32 cubic foot.

It was great for doing a brisket, pork butts and ribs all at the same time.  But it took a good hour or two to warm up, then at least 30-45 minutes to change the temp.  It was only for smoking, and I always had to run a water pan.  Heavily insulted and very tight, but it was so big that it didn't hold the moisture in like the egg.  Definitely smokier meat which some folks like, but I stuck with the kamados.

If I bought anything else, I'd get a Meadow Creek.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    @billt01, we think alike.  I built this last summer to do some big cooks in July and August.  It would run 12 hours on a 18# bag of Kingsford, and put out some nice smoke with hickory or pecan.  One of my buddies talked me out of it last month!  
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    @billt01, we think alike.  I built this last summer to do some big cooks in July and August.  It would run 12 hours on a 18# bag of Kingsford, and put out some nice smoke with hickory or pecan.  One of my buddies talked me out of it last month!  
    build....

another....

one...

=) 
     =) 
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga