Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Looking for a fun family car

Comments

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,849
    Foghorn said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    Foghorn said:
    Thanks @Legume.  That's what I've been thinking.  

Now, who wants to buy a 1993 Honda Del Sol that has a leaky roof and smells of mildew?
    Had it smelt of Mountain Dew I would have taken it in a flash.  

@CPFC1905, that can be arranged...

Well, mildew and Mountain Dew.  Does that work?
    Ooo.  Tempting, bring it around and I'll take a look.  May even treat you to a warm beer, some cricket and (probably) rain. =)
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ford F150 Larriat or higher with V-6 ecoboost.  Can't get much nicer interior and the engine will give you all you wan't and need.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Zippylip said:
    2014 Crosstrek, best all around car I've ever owned, hands down, not even close.  Turns 5 in April & I still love driving it every day:

Solid endorsement. I would have been interested had it been available in a 3.6 version. I’m no speed demon, but my transition out of a tweaked 5.0 needs to be gradual.  :)

Doesn’t have a lot of power, that’s true.  But that’s ok with me, at this stage in the game I’m not all that excited to get anywhere I’m going any earlier

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Zippylip said:
    Zippylip said:
    2014 Crosstrek, best all around car I've ever owned, hands down, not even close.  Turns 5 in April & I still love driving it every day:

Solid endorsement. I would have been interested had it been available in a 3.6 version. I’m no speed demon, but my transition out of a tweaked 5.0 needs to be gradual.  :)

Doesn’t have a lot of power, that’s true.  But that’s ok with me, at this stage in the game I’m not all that excited to get anywhere I’m going any earlier

Good point. There would no doubt be advantages to a slower vehicle when heading to some family events. 

“Sorry I’m late.”  =)
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    edited January 2019
    Toyota 4Runner.  I have a 2000 with 250k on it, leaks oil but runs strong and looks great. Also have a 2015 4Runner that gets 20mpg. Lay the back seats down and it's like a cargo van.  I'm partial to 4 wheel drive due to specific needs and terrain challenges. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Zippylip said:
    I've found my "need for speed" was sated when I started riding motorcycles; the car doesn't need to be that impressive anymore.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    I think a 4x4 pickup would fit great.  My wife is 5 ft and like the higher point of view for the road. she hated my Mitisubishi sedan and the 20 10 chevy becaus they did not have enough visability.  She has a toyota van now and love it even though she earlier would not evenn think van.  The vans also come in 4 wheel drive.  My daughter love her explorer for the same reasons and they come 4x4
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    @Eoin watching The Grand Tour on Amazon. Thinking of you brother 
    Which one am I?
    Definitely not Hammond...
    Not short enough. Or stupid enough.
    Plus isn't he a vegetarian or something like that?
    I looked it up. Him and May, but still eat chicken. Partial vegitarian then. I'm definitely not stupid enough to either be a vegitarian, or to claim I am one that still eats meat.
    My ultimate pet peeve - bending over backwards for guests to make meals that are vegetarian or gluten-free or whatever the flavour of the month is only to find that they are willing to break their trendy diets in other contexts. I have no issue accommodating those who adhere to a strict and particular diet, just don’t make me coordinate and cook a series of lactose-free courses before you down a milkshake. 
    Work in a restaurant. Our whole kitchen will work double time to accommodate a gluten free request, separate stations and tongs and pan fried instead of deep fryer, etc etc, and I’ll go to the table and the guest is deep throating bread like it’s adding years to their life....

me “I’m sorry if I miscommunicated - the bread is NOT gluten free.”

them “but it’s SO GOOD... besides. I’m MOSTLY gluten free..”
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    Which one am I?
    I looked it up. Him and May, but still eat chicken. Partial vegitarian then. I'm definitely not stupid enough to either be a vegitarian, or to claim I am one that still eats meat.
    My ultimate pet peeve - bending over backwards for guests to make meals that are vegetarian or gluten-free or whatever the flavour of the month is only to find that they are willing to break their trendy diets in other contexts. I have no issue accommodating those who adhere to a strict and particular diet, just don’t make me coordinate and cook a series of lactose-free courses before you down a milkshake. 
    Work in a restaurant. Our whole kitchen will work double time to accommodate a gluten free request, separate stations and tongs and pan fried instead of deep fryer, etc etc, and I’ll go to the table and the guest is deep throating bread like it’s adding years to their life....

Lol. 

It’s almost to the point that I’ll choose my friendships on the basis of their dietary restrictions alone. 
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    Which one am I?

Lol. 

It’s almost to the point that I’ll choose my friendships on the basis of their dietary restrictions alone. 
    Then there was the lady whose fad diet required she be vegetarian. 

So we made a beautiful vegetarian dish, complete with a quick pimento cheese..

when she didnt eat the pimchee I mentioned it and asked if there was a way I could
    make her dish any better?

she said “oh wait - is this a vegetarian cheese?”

i asked, “are you a vegetarian.. or a VEGAN?”

she replied, “ oh that’s right, I’m a vegan.”

..... people....

anyway sorry for the thread shanghai..

get the 4runner or the WRX STI. :)

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Did you decide yet? I’m waiting to see this unicorn. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • anyone else think the new Ford Ranger looks.... meh. To me the front end looks like a Taurus. The whole thing reminds me of the Honda Ridgeline.    I hope they use a different front end on the Bronco.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    anyone else think the new Ford Ranger looks.... meh. To me the front end looks like a Taurus. The whole thing reminds me of the Honda Ridgeline.    I hope they use a different front end on the Bronco.
    Looks better than it used to, but that's not saying much.  I think I'd rather drive a Pontiac Aztek. 
    anyone else think the new Ford Ranger looks.... meh. To me the front end looks like a Taurus. The whole thing reminds me of the Honda Ridgeline.    I hope they use a different front end on the Bronco.
    Mini—ford raptor kind of a look. I like the 150/250/350 more square blocky look
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • I believe it, I saw the liquorcycle you picked up.  The Aztek was ahead its time, I am pretty sure we still haven't caught up.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    My last two vehicles have been Ford Rangers. They've been nothing but reliable. I was excited to see Ford bring them back to North America.

They're going to be a tough sell for Ford. Only available in 4 cylinder. Apparently going to be pushing 300 horse power. Not sure what towing will be like. Most pickups are grocery getters anyways. Also read they scrapped the Raptor Ranger. That would have been a fun truck. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, or as above a BMW X5. The outback is also good but slow as molasses even in the 3.6. I would also recommend if you aren’t towing, a Lexus RX fsport. If towing the GX460 is awesome. I dunno what you mean by not breaking the bank but the certified preowned bmw’s and Lexus are amazing deals.
    I've got a Grand Cherokee Limited with the v8(non SRT).  books says it can tow 7500lbs.  It pulls my 1750 Lund Tyee nicely.  Pulled the boat home 9 hours from where I bought it and more than 5 hours each way on trips up to the Canadian border.  It is a nice setup.  Don't get the SRT if you want to tow, but do get it if you want a hell of a fun truck to drive.  The SRT has something stupid like 600 horsepower :)
  • I had considered a Charger RT, but I am not entirely convinced it will give me enough room. 
    I've rented these and I think they suck.  Hard to get in and out of, visibility I margin out the windows.  Fun to drive but the bad traits get really annoying fast.

• Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, or as above a BMW X5. The outback is also good but slow as molasses even in the 3.6. I would also recommend if you aren’t towing, a Lexus RX fsport. If towing the GX460 is awesome. I dunno what you mean by not breaking the bank but the certified preowned bmw’s and Lexus are amazing deals.
    I've got a Grand Cherokee Limited with the v8(non SRT).  books says it can tow 7500lbs.  It pulls my 1750 Lund Tyee nicely.  Pulled the boat home 9 hours from where I bought it and more than 5 hours each way on trips up to the Canadian border.  It is a nice setup.  Don't get the SRT if you want to tow, but do get it if you want a hell of a fun truck to drive.  The SRT has something stupid like 600 horsepower :)
    I hear you. My b-I-l first had the SRT (470hp) and now has the Trackhawk (707hp!). Fun lineup for sure. 
  • MNEggerandStuff
    MNEggerandStuff Posts: 239
    edited January 2019

I thought they kept more power in the SRT's but just like you said the 2019 SRT has 470 and the trackhawk version of the grand Cherokee has 707 horsepower, it can go from 0 to 60 mph in just 3.5 seconds, that's just nuts

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    This doesn't directly address the OP's question, but it belongs here I think.  

As you know I bought my first, and last, "brand new" car a few months ago, an Audi A5 Cabriolet.  I'm very happy with it, but of course continue to read up on every "new" 2019 that hits the web.  

BMW announced they're bringing back the Z4, and it is stunning!  

I was MORE fascinated to learn that BMW developed the frame/drivetrain/engine in conjunction with Toyota (!!!) who are also using the base for their soon-to-be-released Supra:

OMG, what a difference some sheetmetal makes!  Don't know if the Supra will be coming out as a convertible, but that coupe looks like a damn Shar-Pei!!  YUCK!!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    if you need AWD for the winter weather, and some clearance and pep, how about a porsche macan? base engine, used... lots of fun.    we used to have a forester, that little thing drove awesome even with a small engine.  

i'm partial to sedans. the 3 series is pretty fun to drive, but might be a little small if you're regularly moving 4 people.  i'd like to try a subaru legacy someday.  

i hate to say this.... but i saw the buick wagon and it looked really nice!  if it didn't have a badge and someone told me it was some kind of mercedes i might have believed it.  AWD wagon would be great.  

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    WeberWho said:
    My last two vehicles have been Ford Rangers. They've been nothing but reliable. I was excited to see Ford bring them back to North America.

They're going to be a tough sell for Ford. Only available in 4 cylinder. Apparently going to be pushing 300 horse power. Not sure what towing will be like. Most pickups are grocery getters anyways. Also read they scrapped the Raptor Ranger. That would have been a fun truck. 
    Do people who aren't into cars care about the engine capacity / number of cylinders if it goes OK and gets good mileage? Anne's Audi A3 has a 1.5 litre 4 pot engine with 150 HP and cylinder cut for cruising. It goes well, once you work out how to pursuade the DCT to do what you want it to do, and is economical as well. Do they also do 2WD versions of trucks as a cheaper / lighter / more economical option for the people who just use their truck for shopping and posing?
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    edited January 2019
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    This is interesting. The front of the truck looks meh and the back looks like something Lincoln would design. It needs a longer bed but everything else looks pretty cool. 0-60 in 3 seconds and has 4 electric motors for AWD. If it were high speed charge capable and if there were were more charging stations in Texas, I would seriously consider buying one to replace my truck.
    https://youtu.be/x52h6Iiu6jA
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Eoin said:
    WeberWho said:

Do people who aren't into cars care about the engine capacity / number of cylinders if it goes OK and gets good mileage? Anne's Audi A3 has a 1.5 litre 4 pot engine with 150 HP and cylinder cut for cruising. It goes well, once you work out how to pursuade the DCT to do what you want it to do, and is economical as well. Do they also do 2WD versions of trucks as a cheaper / lighter / more economical option for the people who just use their truck for shopping and posing?
    Trucks have taken off here in the states the last 10 years or so. Trucks used to be "trucks". Now most are luxury vehicles with a box in back. I'd say majority of trucks are for shopping and posing. My friends wife just surprised him with a new Chevy Silverado last week for his birthday. I think the heaviest thing the truck might see is a push mower if it ever breaks down.

Ford dropped the Ranger here in the states as the 6 cylinder got terrible gas mileage and they couldn't sell it. They were only 2-3 mpg difference than the full size F-150. Trucks are also getting better gas mileage than they ever have. I think my brother in laws Silverado V6 4x4 get's somewhere around 25 mpg highway. 

2WD aren't that popular up here in the north. Just because of the weather. That might be different down south. 

It's getting harder and harder to find a "real" truck. Trucks used to be made for work. Dent them, scratch them, and wash them out with a hose. Now they've become a "thing" and everyone wants one. 

I'd love to have a bigger truck myself. I just can't justify the cost and don't have any real use for one. I've found myself recently needing more than my truck can tow but I don't need it enough to switch it for something else yet. My old beater Ford Ranger has been bullet proof. It's a 4 cylinder with a 5 speed manual transmission. Gets close to 30 mpg. It can't tow worth crap but I probably use it more as a truck than most full sized ones you see driving around. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ford Edge ST
    335 HP and 380 lb-ft
    starts at $42k
    or 
    Raptor Crew cab 
    starts about $58k