Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Looking for a fun family car

Options

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I saw one of these in the local Wawa parking lot today.  Interestingly, my nickname in high school was super snake.

We won’t ask why. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Pontiac Aztec
    New Albany, Ohio 

• alaskanassasin
    Options

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• littlerascal56
    Options
    KBB values are not generally used by car dealers.  NADA is the Bible and what they deal from.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I had selected private sale. I think you get the idea
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    edited January 2019
    Options
    My old 2011 WRX would hold two adults and two kids no problem. The downside was that it promoted a rather aggressive driving style. We went a different way. It’s a bit breezy for back seat passengers but lots more fun. Plenty of zip too. Act now, as they’ll be discontinued soon. 

Michiana, South of the border.
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Our next family car will be a 4runner for the wife. Image result for toyota 4runner

I've heard the 4.0 liter can be lacking at times if you load it down with after market accessories. The highlander actually has a little more room in the second row due to the car frame it's on. I have two people I know that have Subaru foresters that absolutely love them but the 2.5 liter 4 cylinder may not have enough pep for what you're looking for. Heck everyone I know with a Subaru loves it. Do you have enough snow to where you need 4wd/awd??

LBGE
    AL
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,673
    edited January 2019
    Options
    We had a Forester, the cam cover or something like that was leaking oil on the manifold, 120,000 miles. She was burning a quart every two weeks...
      So I introduced swmbo to BMW, 328xi, baby steps, hoping to get her into a M3 someday..

”it gets terrible gas mileage”
    “I don’t need a fast car”

I have my work cut out for me
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    edited January 2019
    Options
    We had a Forester, the cam cover or something like that was leaking oil on the manifold, 120,000 miles. She was burning a quart every two weeks...
      So I introduced swmbo to BMW, 328xi, baby steps, hoping to get her into a M3 someday..

”it gets terrible gas mileage”
    “I don’t need a fast car”

I have my work cut out for me
    How bad is the mileage on the 328? I'd have thought that would be reasonable? My M135i is surprisingly good (against my expectation, anyway).

Edit: everyone needs a fast car, that's a fact.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Her 328 gets good fuel mileage, it was the M3 that did not get the best mileage. Trying to get her to look past that!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• tenpenny_05
    Options
    I know I'm late to the party. But you should check out a Mazda 6. They are great cars and dont typically get the recognition they deserve. Good looking, quick, well made. Definitely worth a look.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • tenpenny_05
    Options
    It's also a less pie in the sky option than what has been previously mentioned.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • EGGHEAD83
    Options
    2020 Ford Explorer 400 HP ST package. Should be out later this year. 
    Large BGE, small BGE, 2-22” Weber kettles, 26” Weber kettle, Weber jumbo joe, 14” WSM, 17” BS and 36” BS. Hope Mills, NC. USA. 
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    We put nearly 50k on a 16 Outback 3.6 that was traded for an 18 OB 3.6 that currently has about 11k on it.  Mostly use it for road trips to CO hauling the dogs.  It's a very safe and capable vehicle, not the fastest, not the best handling, not the most comfortable, but will get you there in pretty much any conditions.  The biggest negative for us are the front seats, just not enough padding and bolstering (for two very average size adults) and the seat bottoms are too short, so not enough thigh support - a seat cushion designed for sciatica (from Amazon) has helped.  At the price point, the OB hard to beat.  Rumor is that the 19 model will be the last with a 6 cylinder available, and with 20 being a complete redesign, there should be very decent deals available.  

LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    It's also a less pie in the sky option than what has been previously mentioned.
    What ever are you talking about? All options suggested have been both practical and reasonably-priced.  ;)
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    My dad has the Mazerati Levante and loves it. Plenty of room and pep. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Fun family is an oxymoron right? My 05 accord started leaking oil last month so it’s time for a new one been checking out a lot of accords. Honda makes the Crosstour in a V6 that would be a not slow family car that won’t break the bank and has room. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    Lit said:
    Fun family is an oxymoron right? My 05 accord started leaking oil last month so it’s time for a new one been checking out a lot of accords. Honda makes the Crosstour in a V6 that would be a not slow family car that won’t break the bank and has room. 
    They stopped making those a couple of years ago.  My son bought himself a gently used v6 last year and loves it. Lots of power in that car and rides very nicely.
  • Lit
    Options
    Legume said:
    Lit said:
    They stopped making those a couple of years ago.  My son bought himself a gently used v6 last year and loves it. Lots of power in that car and rides very nicely.
    Yeah I think the newest I saw was a 2015. Was only like $15k with only 30k miles and it was loaded.
  • Lit
    Options
    Sorry it had 60k miles but it has a lot of options. Here’s the posting. It’s a fast family friendly car that won’t break the bank. https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/d/duluth-2015-honda-accord-crosstour-exl/6795240350.html
  • jamesj
    jamesj Posts: 36
    Options
     It sure if was mentioned but just got a two year old Ford Flex AWD twin turbo, take a look at them. Actupretty neat little cars. 
    Large BGE  Houston TX
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,144
    Options
    One Of my best friends had a Toyota fourrunner. They bought it new off the lot, drove the hell out of it in inner-city Washington DC crazy rush-hour traffic, put 250,000 miles on it, and then traded in and got $22,000 back. :-) He said it had zero mechanical issues, and they only had to change the brake pads and the belts. Pretty strong recommendation :-)

if not an STI, we’re looking at the 4Runner here - the black logo  version is  pretty sweet looking...
    I am not trying to argue with you. But I find that extremely unlikely that he got $22K back for a 4runner with 250K miles on it. I have a 2005 4runner currently with the same mileage and same circumstances you mentioned (no mechanical issues) and the most I can get for mine is about $4K and that's selling private party to some painter or parent looking for a 1st car for their kid. Trade in is about $1,500. Now if he put about $50K in aftermarket suspension, tires, wench, interior upgrades and basically made it a SHTF vehicle, maybe just maybe someone would pay $15k for it. but no way on a trade in. If that really did happen I would love to get more information cause I am looking to get rid of mine within the next year for a new one.
    Hey sorry - I got a bit carried away...

texted with him tonight (he’s in Arlington)...

It was a 2005
    111,000 miles
    $20,000 on trade in

my bad. Still pretty good, though...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,868
    Options
    jamesj said:
     It sure if was mentioned but just got a two year old Ford Flex AWD twin turbo, take a look at them. Actupretty neat little cars. 
    Just Googled that. If Bauhaus built cars?  Don't think we get them in the UK.  
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    MO_Eggin said:
    We put nearly 50k on a 16 Outback 3.6 that was traded for an 18 OB 3.6 that currently has about 11k on it.  Mostly use it for road trips to CO hauling the dogs.  It's a very safe and capable vehicle, not the fastest, not the best handling, not the most comfortable, but will get you there in pretty much any conditions.  The biggest negative for us are the front seats, just not enough padding and bolstering (for two very average size adults) and the seat bottoms are too short, so not enough thigh support - a seat cushion designed for sciatica (from Amazon) has helped.  At the price point, the OB hard to beat.  Rumor is that the 19 model will be the last with a 6 cylinder available, and with 20 being a complete redesign, there should be very decent deals available.  

Thanks for this!
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Lots of Subaru suggestions. We've owned three, a WRX and two Outbacks. They are great cars.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,849
    Options
    I've been car shopping for a month or so.  Was going to buy a Highlander until I test drove a 4 cylinder version and decided against it.  Not because I necessarily need something faster, but because any 4 cylinder version of a vehicle that gets worse gas mileage than the 6 cylinder version seems truly underpowered to me - and given that I tend to keep cars 20 years or so, that just didn't seem like a great car for the long haul.

Then I went to the dealer again, prepared to drive a 6 cylinder Highlander and write a check for it and the new (2017 and newer) 8 speed transmission proved to be unresponsive and jerky - like I had read about on some car forums.  

That made me start thinking about a 4Runner.  But before I could even schedule a test drive, my best friend offered me his 2010 Taurus with only 38k miles for $5000.  It has some hail damage (a few indentions on the hood and roof) that he has already been paid for by the insurance company, but it is otherwise in immaculate condition.  He looked at trade-in value (although with such low miles it is difficult to guess its exact value) and subtracted the money he has received from the insurance company to come up with the price.  He likes it very much, he just needs a smaller car that he can tow behind his new RV.

He's let me drive the Taurus for the last couple of weeks and it is a great car.  Slightly roomier and more solid than my wife's Camry.  Plenty of room for 5.  260 horsepower.  All the bells and whistles (bluetooth, rear camera, etc).

So, to the original poster, don't rule out the Taurus.  It is a well made car that may be a good opportunity.  

And does anyone know any reason that I shouldn't take this deal?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    One Of my best friends had a Toyota fourrunner. They bought it new off the lot, drove the hell out of it in inner-city Washington DC crazy rush-hour traffic, put 250,000 miles on it, and then traded in and got $22,000 back. :-) He said it had zero mechanical issues, and they only had to change the brake pads and the belts. Pretty strong recommendation :-)

if not an STI, we’re looking at the 4Runner here - the black logo  version is  pretty sweet looking...
    I am not trying to argue with you. But I find that extremely unlikely that he got $22K back for a 4runner with 250K miles on it. I have a 2005 4runner currently with the same mileage and same circumstances you mentioned (no mechanical issues) and the most I can get for mine is about $4K and that's selling private party to some painter or parent looking for a 1st car for their kid. Trade in is about $1,500. Now if he put about $50K in aftermarket suspension, tires, wench, interior upgrades and basically made it a SHTF vehicle, maybe just maybe someone would pay $15k for it. but no way on a trade in. If that really did happen I would love to get more information cause I am looking to get rid of mine within the next year for a new one.
    Hey sorry - I got a bit carried away...

texted with him tonight (he’s in Arlington)...

It was a 2005
    111,000 miles
    $20,000 on trade in

my bad. Still pretty good, though...
    No big deal. I was just amazed by those numbers. I still am on the new ones. Wish mine had 140k less miles on it right now!

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I've been car shopping for a month or so.  Was going to buy a Highlander until I test drove a 4 cylinder version and decided against it.  Not because I necessarily need something faster, but because any 4 cylinder version of a vehicle that gets worse gas mileage than the 6 cylinder version seems truly underpowered to me - and given that I tend to keep cars 20 years or so, that just didn't seem like a great car for the long haul.

Then I went to the dealer again, prepared to drive a 6 cylinder Highlander and write a check for it and the new (2017 and newer) 8 speed transmission proved to be unresponsive and jerky - like I had read about on some car forums.  

That made me start thinking about a 4Runner.  But before I could even schedule a test drive, my best friend offered me his 2010 Taurus with only 38k miles for $5000.  It has some hail damage (a few indentions on the hood and roof) that he has already been paid for by the insurance company, but it is otherwise in immaculate condition.  He looked at trade-in value (although with such low miles it is difficult to guess its exact value) and subtracted the money he has received from the insurance company to come up with the price.  He likes it very much, he just needs a smaller car that he can tow behind his new RV.

He's let me drive the Taurus for the last couple of weeks and it is a great car.  Slightly roomier and more solid than my wife's Camry.  Plenty of room for 5.  260 horsepower.  All the bells and whistles (bluetooth, rear camera, etc).

So, to the original poster, don't rule out the Taurus.  It is a well made car that may be a good opportunity.  

And does anyone know any reason that I shouldn't take this deal?
    Thanks for the tip. If I was going Taurus, I’d try to snag the almost-400hp SHO model. A great sleeper. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    @Foghorn at that price, I can’t really see any risk unless you have to start dumping money into repairs for some reason.  Even if you decide you hate it a year from now, you should be able to sell it and get enough back to make it the cheapest rental you’ve ever had.