Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Looking for a fun family car

Options

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,848
    Options
    Thanks @Legume.  That's what I've been thinking.  

Now, who wants to buy a 1993 Honda Del Sol that has a leaky roof and smells of mildew?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited January 2019
    Options
    KBB values are not generally used by car dealers.  NADA is the Bible and what they deal from.
    No, at least not the info available to the general public. They have auction, sale and area data they subscribe to from outside firms that specialize in this data. @alaskanassasin is correct, Kelly Blue book private sale info will get you close. You might get shown a high trade value but it will be made up on the price of the new/preowned car. Kelly also gives a great primer on categorizing the condition of your trade.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    one thing i learned with kbb is price out the car you want locally, and an hour drive north south east and west. for me the vehicle i wanted was always priced better by 10 to 20 percent south of boston,  another i learned was when totaling a vehicle they price it at the cheapest comparison, either kbb, nada,  internet search, lowest priced area etc.  when i flipped the hummer, they compared my boston area truck to pensylvania all the way to texas trucks, nothing local, most of them were not the same model even. dont trust anyone.  i think the 122 point inspections from the dealer are just a tad off as well, truck passes a 122 point inspection but the tranny is leaking, rear rotors are rusted and scored etc.  carfax  says no accidents, but theres new paint, rear door doesnt open, bondo showing, headliner is water stained, etc.   with carfax, dont look at how many prior owners, you just want to see where it was registered every year and if the maintanence was done at the dealer regularly, other than that its pretty useless.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Latest generation rubicon.   
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    one thing i learned with kbb is price out the car you want locally, and an hour drive north south east and west. for me the vehicle i wanted was always priced better by 10 to 20 percent south of boston,  another i learned was when totaling a vehicle they price it at the cheapest comparison, either kbb, nada,  internet search, lowest priced area etc.  when i flipped the hummer, they compared my boston area truck to pensylvania all the way to texas trucks, nothing local, most of them were not the same model even. dont trust anyone.  i think the 122 point inspections from the dealer are just a tad off as well, truck passes a 122 point inspection but the tranny is leaking, rear rotors are rusted and scored etc.  carfax  says no accidents, but theres new paint, rear door doesnt open, bondo showing, headliner is water stained, etc.   with carfax, dont look at how many prior owners, you just want to see where it was registered every year and if the maintanence was done at the dealer regularly, other than that its pretty useless.
    Car fax doesn't always tell the whole story. If insurance was not involved for some reason the accident will not be reported. This happens a lot with highline cars. I would add put the car on a lift and look at the paint from the bottom up. They paint top down so imperfections are more visible from the bottom up.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    Look into a Jeep JKU. Room for the family and they're fun. I've got an old Jeep YJ that my wife and our friends have a blast in. Not so family friendly though. 
    Pratt, KS
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Wife’s Lincoln MKX got rear ended at 3000 miles (teenager texting).  Insurance spent $38k to fix it , plus pay for rental car for 5 weeks.  I traded it off with 3100 miles, and Carfax report showed “minor rear end damage”. So much for Carfax reports!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Legume said:
    @Foghorn at that price, I can’t really see any risk unless you have to start dumping money into repairs for some reason.  Even if you decide you hate it a year from now, you should be able to sell it and get enough back to make it the cheapest rental you’ve ever had.
    This. Go get it. You know the owner well. I doubt he would try to screw you over a used car. 

I drove my sister’s 1996 Taurus for a few years until it was rear-ended and totaled in 2008. I still miss that car. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @Eoin watching The Grand Tour on Amazon. Thinking of you brother 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @caliking.  You know the seller.  He was with us and helped cook at the last Salado eggfest.  He's babied the car and there are no hidden issues.  I had dinner with him last night and told him I'll take the car.  We're just sorting out a couple of other issues before we complete the deal.

Since he needs a smaller car to tow behind his RV I offered him the mildewed Del Sol as a trade.  He was too smart to fall for that.  Even if it was in better shape, a 72 year old with a bad back has no business trying to get in and out of that car.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    Audi A5 3.0T and if you have the coin a S5. 

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Love that show.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Which one am I?
  • saluki2007
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Which one am I?
    Definitely not Hammond...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    edited January 2019
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Audi A5 3.0T and if you have the coin a S5. 

The 3.0L Turbo is the S5.  
    I just got the 2.0L A5 Convertible, don't know that I'd call it a "family" car as the back seat is quite tight (the "Sportback", a 4-door hatchback, has more room iirc).
    That little 2.0L still scoots, 0-60 in 5.7 seconds which is the fastest car I've owned (doesn't compare to the OP's "track-prepped" Mustang, no doubt), and have gotten 27 mpg overall since buying it and 35 mpg when I went up to Yellowstone.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Eoin
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Which one am I?
    Not short enough. Or stupid enough.
  • saluki2007
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    Which one am I?
    Plus isn't he a vegetarian or something like that?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Eoin
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    Which one am I?
    I looked it up. Him and May, but still eat chicken. Partial vegitarian then. I'm definitely not stupid enough to either be a vegitarian, or to claim I am one that still eats meat.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    maybe he is pesco pollo or flexitarian =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • OshawaDave
    Options
    GMC Sierra 2500. you'll be able to take your BGE on the road for touring and buy skid lots of Rockwood...…….just saying.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,866
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Which one am I?
    Are you the Stig?   

Found GT a bit meh.  But I see TG is coming back albeit either same presenters, although I thought they had changed again? 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,866
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Now, who wants to buy a 1993 Honda Del Sol that has a leaky roof and smells of mildew?
    Had it smelt of Mountain Dew I would have taken it in a flash.  

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • saluki2007
    Options
    GMC Sierra 2500. you'll be able to take your BGE on the road for touring and buy skid lots of Rockwood...…….just saying.
    Nice.  I have the 1500 version.  It's my first truck and love it.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,315
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    Which one am I?
    I looked it up. Him and May, but still eat chicken. Partial vegitarian then. I'm definitely not stupid enough to either be a vegitarian, or to claim I am one that still eats meat.
    My ultimate pet peeve - bending over backwards for guests to make meals that are vegetarian or gluten-free or whatever the flavour of the month is only to find that they are willing to break their trendy diets in other contexts. I have no issue accommodating those who adhere to a strict and particular diet, just don’t make me coordinate and cook a series of lactose-free courses before you down a milkshake. 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    Foghorn said:

Had it smelt of Mountain Dew I would have taken it in a flash.  

@CPFC1905, that can be arranged...

Well, mildew and Mountain Dew.  Does that work?

San Antonio, TX

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Which one am I?

“Irrelevant twaddle”  =)
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    2014 Crosstrek, best all around car I've ever owned, hands down, not even close.  Turns 5 in April & I still love driving it every day:

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    2014 Crosstrek, best all around car I've ever owned, hands down, not even close.  Turns 5 in April & I still love driving it every day:

Solid endorsement. I would have been interested had it been available in a 3.6 version. I’m no speed demon, but my transition out of a tweaked 5.0 needs to be gradual.  :)
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,315
    edited January 2019
    Options
    ryantt said:
    Idk what your budget is but my wife like her CTS V.  It’s fast as heck and fun to drive.  Back seat is big enough for a couple of kids.   Other than that I’m a big VW fan so the Golf GTI is fun or the Golf R if you can swing it.  
    Thanks. We have a 2015 Golf TSI and love it - we’ll be keeping it as the second vehicle, so my wife wants our new car to be bigger!

Would love a CTS-V, but likely more than I want to part with. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    If you are looking at the Subaru, in the 6 cylinder, I just went through this exact process with essentially the same criteria. Fun, all wheel drive, a little zip, enough room for kids and gear. Here’s the list I looked in my order of preference

Acura MDX
    Toyota Highlander
    Honda Pilot
    Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Kia Sorento
    Subaru Outback

Dont know your budget. They all come with 6 Cylinders. They all have AWD and all drive fairly sporty for what it is. 

Good list of vehicles tailored to my specs. Thanks for that!