Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Looking for a fun family car

Options
12346»

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    @Eoin I bought my first truck (Nissan 2wd) when I bought my first house and it was indispensable for all the diy on that house - bldg materials, haul off, appliances, dirt, etc.  It was also my daily commuter.  I went to SUVs after that which was fine, but not a great replacement when you need to haul something.

I’m back to a truck now, again 2wd because I haven’t needed 4wd.  I don’t need a work truck or need the bed on a regular basis, but it’s there when I do.  If trucks were not as comfortable as they are these days, I probably wouldn’t have one as a daily driver.  I would bet there are many here in the states that have trucks for the same reason - as comfortable as a car and you have the truck aspect when you need it.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Eoin said:
    WeberWho said:
    anyone else think the new Ford Ranger looks.... meh. To me the front end looks like a Taurus. The whole thing reminds me of the Honda Ridgeline.    I hope they use a different front end on the Bronco.
    My last two vehicles have been Ford Rangers. They've been nothing but reliable. I was excited to see Ford bring them back to North America.

They're going to be a tough sell for Ford. Only available in 4 cylinder. Apparently going to be pushing 300 horse power. Not sure what towing will be like. Most pickups are grocery getters anyways. Also read they scrapped the Raptor Ranger. That would have been a fun truck. 
    Do people who aren't into cars care about the engine capacity / number of cylinders if it goes OK and gets good mileage? Anne's Audi A3 has a 1.5 litre 4 pot engine with 150 HP and cylinder cut for cruising. It goes well, once you work out how to pursuade the DCT to do what you want it to do, and is economical as well. Do they also do 2WD versions of trucks as a cheaper / lighter / more economical option for the people who just use their truck for shopping and posing?
    the lighter trucks dont last long in the north with the salt they put down, you really need to upgrade to a 3/4 ton and get the heavey duty version. we have two toyotas here, a tundra and tacoma, toyota changes the whole frame after about 8 years, ive seen frames go in less than 4 with those.  even with the rover thats pretty much all plastic im washing the undercarriage off weekly
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
     @Eoin There is very much a place for 2wd trucks, especially in the south, most pick up trucks spend their life on the highway and if you don't see the need for 4x4 you most likely will not need it. If you live where there is snow and ice you will probably want a 4x4.
     FWIW I have a 2006 3500 mega cab ram 4x4 with a Cummins diesel, the last year before they started meeting Tier 3 emissions regulations and it gets 24mpg highway.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,193
    Options
     @Eoin There is very much a place for 2wd trucks, especially in the south, most pick up trucks spend their life on the highway and if you don't see the need for 4x4 you most likely will not need it. If you live where there is snow and ice you will probably want a 4x4.
     FWIW I have a 2006 3500 mega cab ram 4x4 with a Cummins diesel, the last year before they started meeting Tier 3 emissions regulations and it gets 24mpg highway.

2WD trucks are better for towing. I think I’ve put my truck in 4wd two or three times in two and half years. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Best to not have it and never need it.
    Options
    all i know is the better the 4 wheel drive, the more stuck you get, i mean really stuck =)
    fukahwee maine

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Ford Edge ST
    335 HP and 380 lb-ft
    starts at $42k
    or 
    Raptor Crew cab 
    starts about $58k
    I actually love the ST suggestion. Did not know they produced these. Will have to see what they fetch in Canada. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    all i know is the better the 4 wheel drive, the more stuck you get, i mean really stuck =)
    A Very Wise Man once told me, Always use a 4wd in 2wd; only use the 4wd to get unstuck.  It's worked for me for 26 years.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,410
    Options
    Botch said:
    A Very Wise Man once told me, Always use a 4wd in 2wd; only use the 4wd to get unstuck.  It's worked for me for 26 years.  
    I was taught a variation of the above....if in  4WD, always stay in Hi gear and use 4WD Low to get out.  Like you it worked for me.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    several times it took a few 4x4's to get me unstuck in my 2 wheel drive dodge dart, when i got the first 4x4, i carried 150 cable, two 3 ton come-alongs, and an ax.  4wd low is useless in deep mud
    fukahwee maine

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I used 4 low the other day, my truck and trailer were sitting in about 3” of frozen solid water. It wouldn’t budge, I popped it in 4low and it rolled right out. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    Options
    I used 4 low the other day, my truck and trailer were sitting in about 3” of frozen solid water. It wouldn’t budge, I popped it in 4low and it rolled right out. 
    510 hp, high range, turn the stupid traction/stability control off. works everytime when the front/back lockers kick in =)   i have not cleaned the driveway yet and two weeks ago i was also slushed in, had no power trying to free the truck til i shut that stability/traction control off
    fukahwee maine

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Beige Betty?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,128
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Whatever you get, make sure you will love it, and cherish it, and never let it go.

Just traded a 2019 BMW430i for a 2019 4Runner TRD.  Very expensive 5 month experiment.  We are not a car family.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • MNEggerandStuff
    Options
    Botch said:
    This doesn't directly address the OP's question, but it belongs here I think.  

As you know I bought my first, and last, "brand new" car a few months ago, an Audi A5 Cabriolet.  I'm very happy with it, but of course continue to read up on every "new" 2019 that hits the web.  

BMW announced they're bringing back the Z4, and it is stunning!  

I was MORE fascinated to learn that BMW developed the frame/drivetrain/engine in conjunction with Toyota (!!!) who are also using the base for their soon-to-be-released Supra:

OMG, what a difference some sheetmetal makes!  Don't know if the Supra will be coming out as a convertible, but that coupe looks like a damn Shar-Pei!!  YUCK!!  
    As Paris Hilton would say...That's Hot
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    Whatever you get, make sure you will love it, and cherish it, and never let it go.

Just traded a 2019 BMW430i for a 2019 4Runner TRD.  Very expensive 5 month experiment.  We are not a car family.
    Owch!!  You took a couple hits!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,128
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Botch said:

Owch!!  You took a couple hits!  
    It was brutal.  However, both my wife and I absolutely hated the car.  It was a treat my wife bought for herself, within 2 weeks she was like WTF did I do.  I kept my mouth shut, because it was her deal.  Finally after 5 months of almost no miles on it I told her it was stupid to pay for a car she didn't want to drive. 

Sometimes you just take the lumps and keep going.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Why didn’t she like it?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.