Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Looking for a fun family car

Options

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,193
    Options
    The wifey had a Mustang GT and we traded it for a Lexus GS300. She loves that car. After driving the Mustang, her car requirements were rear wheel and 300+hp. This car fits the bill perfectly. The interior is nicer than other brands $90k+ cars. Lexus holds it’s value so well that it’s one of the cheaper brands to own in the long run. The service is next level. Can’t say enough good things about Lexus. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    OP asks for car suggestions, gets a bunch SUV and trucks suggested.  Welcome to forum-think.
    That’s because for the large majority of people there are pretty much zero cars left still being manufactured that appeal to them. Why do you think all the automobile manufactures are switching over to 95% crossovers and suvs. It’s because A) there is more profit for them, and B ) nobody wants a car when they can get a crossover with more utility and the same mpg.
    The usual SUV suspects here are just higher, not actually got any more room in than an equvalent hatch / estate. The height ruins the fun, they either have hard suspension to stop them rolling in the bends, or they roll. Fun family car depends on budget, AMG C or E wagon is fun and practical, or M5 or just a nice big engined 5 series. What's the US equivalent size car to a 5 series, or are they not very nice / not much fun?
  • Hairless_Hand
    Options
    BMW X5. I drove one about a year ago and it made driving fun again. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,410
    Options
    @Eoin - The US BMW 5 Series is about the same as the European version however, I am sure there are engine gas/diesel differences.  The M5 is quite a machine but I would opt for the M3 although either will put a hurt on your wallet (even worse than here ;)  ).
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,144
    Options
    WRX STI... one of my dream cars..
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,899
    Options
    Unless I missed it, you didn't specify new or used? Also is mpg a big issue? Do you plan to keep it for several years? About how many miles do you drive a year?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    M2 looks like a blast.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,317
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @MaskedMarvel: Would be fun, but the STI is more than I’d like to spend. Also likely too small for the fam. 

@RRP: Either, really. I had never bought new until about four years ago, when while attempting to buy a one year old used car, I found that brand new was actually cheaper (at least in that exact scenario). MPG not a huge factor, as my wife runs a business and many miles would be tax deductible. We tend to keep our cars 5 years or so. 
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Got my oldest an Altima.  CRAZY mpg for a four door.  Sensible, reliable.  He can’t go too fast in it.  

Boring for him = fun for me!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Eoin - The US BMW 5 Series is about the same as the European version however, I am sure there are engine gas/diesel differences.  The M5 is quite a machine but I would opt for the M3 although either will put a hurt on your wallet (even worse than here ;)  ).
    @lousubcap I was wondering if there is a US brand that is equivalent im size to a 5 series (and not rubbish)? I like my BMW as a daily driver, fast comfortable mile muncher. Had it 5 years now, I normally sell after 4 years for a change but I'm keeping this one longer.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    US brands are stopping the production of cars all together!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• littlerascal56
    Options
    US brands are stopping the production of cars all together!
    And my F150 King Ranch drives and rides better than my company car (Lexus sedan).  With the cheap fuel prices, it’s no wonder corporate is buying PU’s and SUV/Crossovers!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    Got my oldest an Altima.  CRAZY mpg for a four door.  Sensible, reliable.  He can’t go too fast in it.  

Boring for him = fun for me!
    We rented an Altima, years ago, with obviously a peppier engine, that thing screamed!  Not a bad recc for the OP.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

I sure love mine. Not the best gas mileage but amazingly reliable and unstoppable off road. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,410
    Options
    @Eoin - regarding autos, I am just the opposite-I can't stand the car buying experience here.  I have owned my current BMW 540i 6-speed for 15+ years (bought it off a lease).  185 K miles on the clock.
    The German steel prior I bought second-hand as well and kept for 29+ years til an engine fire sent it to the bone yard.  Yes I'm old but still enjoy the three pedal drive.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    Love my:
    Image result for 2013 range rover supercharged

mine is silver but identical... With a supercharger it will get you to the grocery store real quick, one downside average MPG is 11.....
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I looked at the Outback but didn't like it at all. Felt squishy to me. I would up with an Audi A4 Avant. Love it. Now called the allroad.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Maybe a Durango would work
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The big four door trucks are simply awesome. Totally different experience from the sports car but very comfortable, powerful, and exhilarating at times and circumstances. 
  • Kcheves
    Kcheves Posts: 92
    Options
    BMW X5. I drove one about a year ago and it made driving fun again. 

I have an E70 X5 diesel. Its a great car, but the SCR (urea-injection) emmisions system has lots of issues.  BMW has extended the warranty on critical components, but will not be selling diesels in the USA starting next year.  I love everything else about the car, and would consider getting a gasoline version next time around.

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Audi Q5 quattro.
    NOLA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I saw one of these in the local Wawa parking lot today.  Interestingly, my nickname in high school was super snake.

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited January 2019
    Options
    really like this thing, the four wheel drive on it is pretty much freaky  unstoppable.  the supercharged jaguar engine has a nice sound to it. im averaging 14.8 mpg but its getting over 20 mpg if i stay on the highway at 75 mph
    for a family i would be looking at the hondas
    Image result for fishlessman range rover

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Audi Q5 quattro.
    We have one and it's the first SUV that I've really liked.  Drives like a car 
    Options
    I haven't been in one for a couple of years, but the Nissan Maxima used to be a fun car to drive with room.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,144
    Options
    One Of my best friends had a Toyota fourrunner. They bought it new off the lot, drove the hell out of it in inner-city Washington DC crazy rush-hour traffic, put 250,000 miles on it, and then traded in and got $22,000 back. :-) He said it had zero mechanical issues, and they only had to change the brake pads and the belts. Pretty strong recommendation :-)

if not an STI, we’re looking at the 4Runner here - the black logo  version is  pretty sweet looking...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    this was fun, but they kind of tip over

Image result for hummer fishlessman

the only other one ive looked at was a caddilac ext, really practical but finding one were an ex wife or girlfriend didnt key all the body panels is hard to do.  literally looked at 6 caddie trucks and all were keyed or the doors were kicked in, chevy makes the same truck but those are ripe for rust

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    One Of my best friends had a Toyota fourrunner. They bought it new off the lot, drove the hell out of it in inner-city Washington DC crazy rush-hour traffic, put 250,000 miles on it, and then traded in and got $22,000 back. :-) He said it had zero mechanical issues, and they only had to change the brake pads and the belts. Pretty strong recommendation :-)

if not an STI, we’re looking at the 4Runner here - the black logo  version is  pretty sweet looking...
    I am not trying to argue with you. But I find that extremely unlikely that he got $22K back for a 4runner with 250K miles on it. I have a 2005 4runner currently with the same mileage and same circumstances you mentioned (no mechanical issues) and the most I can get for mine is about $4K and that's selling private party to some painter or parent looking for a 1st car for their kid. Trade in is about $1,500. Now if he put about $50K in aftermarket suspension, tires, wench, interior upgrades and basically made it a SHTF vehicle, maybe just maybe someone would pay $15k for it. but no way on a trade in. If that really did happen I would love to get more information cause I am looking to get rid of mine within the next year for a new one.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

I am not trying to argue with you. But I find that extremely unlikely that he got $22K back for a 4runner with 250K miles on it. I have a 2005 4runner currently with the same mileage and same circumstances you mentioned (no mechanical issues) and the most I can get for mine is about $4K and that's selling private party to some painter or parent looking for a 1st car for their kid. Trade in is about $1,500. Now if he put about $50K in aftermarket suspension, tires, wench, interior upgrades and basically made it a SHTF vehicle, maybe just maybe someone would pay $15k for it. but no way on a trade in. If that really did happen I would love to get more information cause I am looking to get rid of mine within the next year for a new one.
    I bought a 5 year old work truck with that milage.  The milage ding is not even close to the age depreciation.