Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT**The Unofficially Official Pizza Thread**OT

Comments

• The classic margherita...

• Smoked brisket pizza

• Another one I don't remember what it was...has a balsamic glaze

• This one actually was cooked in the oven, they are better on the Egg and stone...
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Photo Egg said:
    ColtsFan said:
    The Ardore is dialed in and slinging some great pies. The same day dough was impressive. Didn't have the flavor of a 3 day, but will surely do the job.

Pepperoni 

Homemade Italian sausage, mushroom, onion on the right. 

Decent bottom 

Pies looking perfect!
    what cooking temp are dialed in at?
    are you using the standard stones or the upgrade?
    Thanks!

Thanks! Saputo upgrade. Floor temps were in the 870* range. I let the oven preheat for 45 minutes at full power and when I launch pies I turn it back to the 1 o'clock position to lower the ceiling temp. This gives the floor a chance to do its job without scorching the top. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    ColtsFan said:
    Making pies today using my standard 72hr dough, but I'm also going to experiment with this one.

Using my homemade Italian sausage that I made a few weeks ago today. Very excited about that!
    This is my go to out of this book. Easy time frame, no refrigeration, no forethought needed ;) 
    LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    ColtsFan said:

Thanks! Saputo upgrade. Floor temps were in the 870* range. I let the oven preheat for 45 minutes at full power and when I launch pies I turn it back to the 1 o'clock position to lower the ceiling temp. This gives the floor a chance to do its job without scorching the top. 
    After cooking on this a few time...in a smaller oven like this, do you still think the Saputo is an advantage?
    Having to preheat longer then drop the temp oven temp when the pie goes in.
    Would the standard stones, because they heat up faster and transfer heat faster, be an advantage to more evenly match the high oven heat with the stone heat?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Gonna try something different this week. I'm going to make a Chicago Style Deep Dish. I'll try and let y'all know how it turns out on Friday.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• ColtsFan
    Photo Egg said:
    ColtsFan said:

After cooking on this a few time...in a smaller oven like this, do you still think the Saputo is an advantage?
    Would the standard stones, because they heat up faster and transfer heat faster, be an advantage to more evenly match the high oven heat with the stone heat?
    I really can't speak of if it's an advantage or not. This is my first experience with any sort of pizza oven. According to the pizza party forum peeps, the Saputo still offers up advantages. A few people using the standard floor are having trouble with it being too hot. 

Even having to turn the dial back a hair, I'm still knocking out pies in the 90 second range

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    ColtsFan said:
    Photo Egg said:
    ColtsFan said:

I really can't speak of if it's an advantage or not. This is my first experience with any sort of pizza oven. According to the pizza party forum peeps, the Saputo still offers up advantages. A few people using the standard floor are having trouble with it being too hot. 

Even having to turn the dial back a hair, I'm still knocking out pies in the 90 second range
    Thank you very much.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    90 second pies - thats really cooking !!

I have done sub 2 minute pies on my blackstone & totally appreciate the authenticity & beautiful leopard spotting . . but I really like more overall browning.  To me = more flavor.  Recently been doing 750F for ~4 mins, but always switching up trying new things, it makes pizza making so satisfying!!   
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • made with 1 12oz bottle of Guinness & 3 cups caputo 00 flour . . . Zipplylips recipe 

pepperoni & seasoned ground beef

Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • slate
    slate Posts: 10

Large, Mini Max from New Brunswick, Canada
  • Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182

A medley of mushrooms, garlic olive oil, shallots, roasted garlic, goat cheese, and topped with a balsamic glaze.

Brandon - Ohio

• I swear this is my new favorite thread!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    @JohnInCarolina no to crap on the BGE forum here, but you should glance over at the pizzamaking forums "daily show me your pie" thread - its amazing. 

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=0f64104a9f88a4fff9bcaf78da6dff69&topic=26286.13820
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Had some over fermented store bought dough to use up ... due to the sugar and oil in the dough I played safe and decided not to cook at 850+ in Ardore with saputo floor. Launched the pies at 500-600 after a short 15-20 min preheat. 3-4 min cooks. Kind of like the tender but firm (non-crispy) saputo crust, but still plan to try thin refractory stone on top of saputo floor for low temp bake.

canuckland
  • @Wanasmoke - that looks really good. Bbq pizza? Did you use rib meat?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    @Wanasmoke - that looks really good. Bbq pizza? Did you use rib meat?
    @JohnInCarolina Always make an extra rack of ribs just to make this pizza. It’s so good!  Rib meat, jack cheese, red onions, bbq sauce and olive oil. 
    LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • jeffc5227
    jeffc5227 Posts: 131
    First time using Caputo flour it was terrific.
  • 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    Pizzas again tonight on the Ardore.  Not really happy with the dough tonight.  Oh well, still tasty!  One buffalo chicken, one prosciutto and arugula, and one pepperoni and pork sausage with banana peppers on one half.

Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Time to reorder some Caputo flour.  Question for you dough gurus.

I can buy a 55lb bag, which by my calculations will last just under a year doing weekly pizza nights.

Is this too long to keep the flour?  Thanks.

Phoenix 
  • ColtsFan
    blasting said:

I can buy a 55lb bag, which by my calculations will last just under a year doing weekly pizza nights.

I usually buy 16lb re-packs from brick oven baker. If I had the freezer room, I'd buy a full 55lb bag, break it down and freeze it. 

If you have the freezer space, go for it. If not, how would you store it? 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    ColtsFan said:
    blasting said:

I usually buy 16lb re-packs from brick oven baker. If I had the freezer room, I'd buy a full 55lb bag, break it down and freeze it. 

If you have the freezer space, go for it. If not, how would you store it? 

I usually buy the repacks too.  I was thinking of storing in food safe 2 1/2 gallon buckets.   I didn't think of freezing it.  Thanks @ColtsFan

I've got a chest freezer I dislike - bins of flour taking up the space in the bottom sounds like a win win.

Phoenix