Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - The Death of Quiznos - OT

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,427
When I moved here 24 years ago (!!) I stumbled into a sub shop called Quizno's, ordered their toasted Italian sub, and it became my favorite sammich.  Every time I was in Salt Lake City, I made sure to eat there.  Soon, they opened a couple more places locally, and I was happy.  
More recently, they've mostly gone out of business.  I couldn't figure that out, the sammiches were SO much better than, say, Subway.  Just this morning this video appeared on EweTube, and it filled out the story; a combination of corporate greed and some really bad advertising (I remember those "sponge thingies", hadn't seen the others, ick!)  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGVWinAEGoo

We now have locally a couple "Firehouse Subs", and "Jersey Mike's", which are both much better than Subway, but they still don't match the Quizno's toasted Italian Sub.  Bother.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Capriotti's is where its at......cant wait until I'm in vegas in a few weeks for a Capastrami!  They have a few locations in the midwest, but none within 4-5 hours of STL.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    I guess kept and gluten free did them in.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    Capriotti's is where its at......cant wait until I'm in vegas in a few weeks for a Capastrami!  They have a few locations in the midwest, but none within 4-5 hours of STL.
    Capriotti's is the best! The Bobby is my go to.  Enjoy your time in town @stlcharcoal
    Las Vegas, NV

• That ended a lot darker than I expected. Yikes.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    About the only thing I liked there was the horseradish sauce. Put enough on and you couldn't taste the lousy sandwich. I only went there a couple times when a group of coworkers went out for lunch and I couldn't persuade them to go someplace decent.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • Lvnthedrm
    Lvnthedrm Posts: 153
    Love a good italian sub. Tried quiznos once. I just prefer mine fresh...not toasted. Am a big fan of Jersey Mikes and if your ever near baltimore check out John's deli. Their italian sub is crazy good.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Was never a big fan of quizno's. Barely a step above Chubway IMO.
    Jersey Mike's is where it's at.  Fresh and delicious!!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited January 2019
    We had 2 Quiznos here (1 by college, 1 by interstate).  Both made the best sandwiches I ever had!  College kids preferred cheap tacos, so that Quizno closed 8 years ago. We got a Jimmy Johns and 2 Subways, so last Quizno closed. Sad you can’t get a decent sub here now. The nearest Quizno is now 100 miles west of me.
  • nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    I love DiBellas and Jersey Mikes.  There is a Capriottis here in Indy right by my office that I’ve tried a couple times but I didn’t like as much. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    nlovold said:
    I love DiBellas and Jersey Mikes.  There is a Capriottis here in Indy right by my office that I’ve tried a couple times but I didn’t like as much. 
    I always stop there when I'm passing through Indy.  I've talked several times to the brothers that own that place.  My other place in Indy to go to is Papa Roux.

Capriotti's is the best! The Bobby is my go to.  Enjoy your time in town @stlcharcoal

The Italian and Philly is good too......can't think of any of them I don't like.  I'll just be in town about 36 hrs for SHOT Show.  Not sure where else we will eat yet--so many choices.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Most sub shops are having a hard time, in Austin the nasty sholtzky's are finally closing.  I actually like Jersey Mike's and not had much Quiznos.  I prefer local for subs.. in Austin we have Tucci's Southside, and I thought I'd hear Amato's from @fishlessman
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    We had a Quiznos, it was always busy, yet for some reason went out of business, maybe I now know why, thanks for posting. Tim Horton’s tried the same heavy handed corporate crap and the franchisees revolted, seeking public, the customer, help. 
    Locally we have a couple of private donair shops which have branched into subs. We support the local guys. 

Our local Safeway has a deli counter. They used to make sandwiches which cost less than the deli meat they put on the sandwich. once Sobey’s bought Safeway, that ended. Sobey’s greed is probably why we discovered the local donair/sub shop. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Hmm, there are a couple Capriotti's in SLC, may have to visit one soon.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Lvnthedrm said:
    Love a good italian sub. Tried quiznos once. I just prefer mine fresh...not toasted. Am a big fan of Jersey Mikes and if your ever near baltimore check out John's deli. Their italian sub is crazy good.
    Only a few miles from my office - will make a point of trying their Italian sub.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • It was like eating a crouton sandwich.  Terrible
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Gotta admit, local places here are good and in the older neighborhoods still pretty active. The quality is almost always better. Not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for. Suizies Subs/Pizza is a typical walk-in. No tables. But they do a 16” Italian that is unreal. Not the safest neighborhood after dark. But for lunch it is the go-to.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Publix Boars Head double meat, done.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Subway will soon be following Quiznos, at least in my area. Jersey Mikes kicks butt with some delicious hoagies. Always fresh and have Swiss cheese as Subway still does not!
  • Botch said:
    Hmm, there are a couple Capriotti's in SLC, may have to visit one soon.  
    I live near the one here in west valley. It’s good. 
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Dobie said:
    Every Publix sub I have ever gotten came on hard bread.  I've yet to be able to get one of their subs on soft bread.  Same in your area or no?
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Dobie
    Hub said:
    Dobie said:
    Every Publix sub I have ever gotten came on hard bread.  I've yet to be able to get one of their subs on soft bread.  Same in your area or no?
    It has a crust to it but not hard
    Jacksonville FL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Hub said:
    Dobie said:
    Get the wheat bread 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Publix chicken tender sub is hard to beat 
  • Not sure if it's a chain found outside of Vegas, but we've also liked "Earl of Sandwich" when we visit.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    There is a California chain called Togo's that started in San Jose in the 70's. It has always been my favorite place for subs. I went to Jersey Mike's once and spent too much time on the toilet afterwards. Never been back.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    JJs is great!

Toasting an Italian sub should be a capital offense.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Locally the best is Poboy Express. My favorite is their Steak Bomb with grilled steak and fried shrimp. But their shrimp, crab cake, pepper steak are great also.
  • Dobie
    Here is the local favorite  =)

Jacksonville FL
  • Gulfcoastguy
    A poboy with crab cakes, Mayo, lettuce, and cheese is known locally as a Vancleve Special.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Dobie said:
    Here is the local favorite  =)

Soon it will be fish and chips