Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

And with a flick of his finger he sent out a tweet.......

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I want a pet raccoon. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    thetrim said:
    They’d make good back scratchers.  
    Somebody agrees:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I want a pet raccoon. 
    Until slaughter date. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Thapco
    Thapco Posts: 44
    there is one other part of a male coon that is valuable.  for a toothpick, did you keep it
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Thapco said:
    there is one other part of a male coon that is valuable.  for a toothpick, did you keep it

Is this it ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Dyal_SC said:
    I don’t understand how anyone on this forum could get offended by any “butchering” process. It ain’t a vegan forum. I think all of us are ok with dead meat photos.  ;)  Keep the pix flowing. Also intrigued about the raccoons. 
    Neither do I but we've become a society paralyzed by political correctness
    I'm sick of walking on eggshells for fear of offending someone

Stupid
    Y’all are complaining about complaints that haven’t actually been made by anyone in this thread.  Just an observation.  

No complaints here, just supporting and encouraging SGH to share the nitty gritty on the details of the process. Can’t imagine “the buffalo” would be offended by butchering or meat cutting. It’s kinda what the forum is about. Dead meat being smoked on the BGE and all.  
  • SGH
    Got one going in the pressure cooker then the deep fryer. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    Great treatment of a coon. 
  • When does the fancy wine make an appearance?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    When does the fancy wine make an appearance?
    I don’t drink fancy wine. Can’t afford it ;)

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    Wrong thread. Sheesh. 
  • SGH said:
    I don’t drink fancy wine. Can’t afford it ;)
    Yes you can: look for the kind that comes in boxes.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    @SGH - meat looks to be not too different in color from cottontail rabbit.

What's the flavor like?

Is it so tough the it needs to be pressure cooked first or would low and slow or a long ride in the slow cooker do it?
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    edited January 2019
    Do you use a Coon Pick?   Okay...I see someone already broached the subject of the coon prick.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • SGH
    edited January 2019
    @SGH - meat looks to be not too different in color from cottontail rabbit.

What's the flavor like?

Is it so tough the it needs to be pressure cooked first or would low and slow or a long ride in the slow cooker do it?
    The flavor is NOTHING like rabbit. It is considerably stronger tasting. Also it is “greasy” to a degree. Kind of like black bear and beaver. 
    As far as cooking them in a slow cooker, absolutely you can. The best coon stew that I ever had came out of a crockpot. We also sometimes lay down a bed of sweet potato in the bottom of the crockpot and lay the coon on top of the sweet potatoes. Always comes out great 👍 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Coon is out of the pressure cooker and cooling. As soon as it cools it will be dusted and finished in the deep fryer. 

Status- Standing by.

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    I'll stick with Brisket...never was fan of Granny's Opossum Stew either.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • SGH
    Done. 

Status- Standing by.

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Looks delicious  :o

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354

Jacksonville FL
  • bgebrent
    SGH said:
    Done. 

Great treatment of a tree rat Scottie. Great post
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    not a tree rat - it's a trash panda.
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    lkapigian said:

what did you do with the racoon hands

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Is Creepy^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    The woman's nails are just as creepy as those racoon hands.

Nice work @SGH.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • SGH
    smokingal said:
    Nice work @SGH.
    Thanks brother👍

bgebrent said:
    Great treatment of a tree rat Scottie. Great post
    Thanks brother👍

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nice transition from anus meat across the taint into bush meat territory, Scottie.
    Nice transition from anus meat across the taint into bush meat territory, Scottie.
    Anus is still King my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• Love the post.  Still remember my hunter training course. When talking about small game hunting the instructor said that squirrel stew was the best stew ever. If you guys haven't tried it you're missing out. Being a city slicker and not hunting all that much never had a chance to taste it but would certainly try if given an opportunity. Same with the Coon.  Nice job Scotty
    South Buffalo, New York
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Never seen trash pandas cooked up before. Are they good? 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I’d just order Papa Johns and call it even.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95