Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

And with a flick of his finger he sent out a tweet.......

13»

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Toxarch said:
    Never seen trash pandas cooked up before. Are they good? 
    It’s like anything else, if you like them they are good, if you don’t like them then no. To me they ain’t lobster, but they are pretty good. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited January 2019
    @SGH thanks for sharing this method and the cook! 
    Coon... now that's something I've never seen butchered and to be honest, I didn't even know people ate it. Those looked pretty big. How did you catch/kill them?
    (if you have more pics perhaps posted on another forum, just sneak in the link here... I won't tell.)  :)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    KiterTodd said:
    @SGH thanks for sharing this method and the cook! 
    Coon... now that's something I've never seen butchered and to be honest, I didn't even know people ate it. Those looked pretty big. How did you catch/kill them?
    (if you have more pics perhaps posted on another forum, just sneak in the link here... I won't tell.)  :)
    My pleasure. I caught them in a dog less (leg hold) trap. If you look close at the one pic you can see the trap. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thapco
    Thapco Posts: 44
    several years ago, when working with the Boy Scouts, Had an old black man who worked for me and he loved cooking coon.  I ask him to fix one up for me and my son for a campout and he did.  when we got to camp area, on first night we would eat what we brought and set up tents.  My son and I laid the whole bbq coon out on table and ate some of it as sandwiches.   Several of the kids came by and ask what it was.  we said "a cat".  Uh uh was comments.  We told them to try it and they said NO!!.  I ate some more and said how good it was and they still said NO.  Son and I left to go help some of the newer campers set up tents and when we came back, coon was nothing but bones.  This started a tradition and from then on it was required that we bring a coon for first meal on campouts.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Thapco said:
    several years ago, when working with the Boy Scouts, Had an old black man who worked for me and he loved cooking coon.  I ask him to fix one up for me and my son for a campout and he did.  when we got to camp area, on first night we would eat what we brought and set up tents.  My son and I laid the whole bbq coon out on table and ate some of it as sandwiches.   Several of the kids came by and ask what it was.  we said "a cat".  Uh uh was comments.  We told them to try it and they said NO!!.  I ate some more and said how good it was and they still said NO.  Son and I left to go help some of the newer campers set up tents and when we came back, coon was nothing but bones.  This started a tradition and from then on it was required that we bring a coon for first meal on campouts.
    Great story.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Only person I know who ate coon would catch one and feed it corn/grain for a few weeks before slaughtering.  Said it helped the taste tremendously.  I took his word for it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Fascinating thread, many thanks @SGH for sharing the story. Have never heard of anyone eating coon but looks interesting. Cool stuff. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA