Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I've kinda grown tired of my Blackstone

Options

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    bgebrent said:
      Love my BS.  
    What does N think about those grease stains on the deck?  ;)
    She said you knew a good clean up hack for Ipe.  You got this.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bgebrent
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    bgebrent said:
    Your style of cooking sucks.
    At least I don't have to claim credit for my wife's cooking. 
    Sh!t just got real.
    I take it when and wherever I can get it 🤪
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I was tired of mine after one cook! I bought a 17" BS 2-3 years ago. I doubt I've used it a half a dozen times! I keep wanting to try a teppanyaki steak dinner, but haven't yet. And you don't need a BS for that anyway. Cheap enough at $69, but I should have spent it on food. Sure glad I didn't buy a 36!

As for @littlerascal56 's "4 pounds of bacon this week", I doubt I cook that much bacon in a YEAR!! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    JRWhitee said:
    bgebrent said:
    Your style of cooking sucks.
    At least I don't have to claim credit for my wife's cooking. 
    Sh!t just got real.
    I take it when and wherever I can get it 🤪
    That’s what she said 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Those of you who use a large griddle either on your egg or on your stove top. Which one do you have? We only have 4 of us 95% of the time so needing the extra space is not the biggest criteria for why I bought it. The best thing I can say about the Blackstone is it seems to put out a very large area of pretty darn even heat. I have a gas stove inside but its builder grade so the burners are not putting out an equal amount of heat. That's why I haven't had the best of luck using an indoor griddle and hence why I bought the blackstone. An example would be for pancakes. On the blackstone I can get perfectly browned pancakes all the way to the edge. But cooking on a cast iron skillet I get very patchy unevenly brown pancakes no matter what I do.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I’ve got one of these that I use on the egg, much easier to store than the BS.

https://www.littlegriddle.com/products/kq17r-kettle-q-stainless-steel-bbq-griddle

I’ll be honest though, most of the time we’re lazy and just use an electric griddle that my in-laws gave us.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Has anyone else experienced this? I've had my Blackstone about 8 months. I used it twice a week the 1st few months. But I don't think I've used it since August or September. I get annoyed having to clean it, and lately I've been dealing with not only mold growth but also rusty spots. To me it's become more hassle than anything else. I don't think I want to get rid of it but all I have used it for in the last 4 months or so is as a table top to sit my egg stuff when I don't need it. Help me out folks, help me fall in love with this thing again.
    Yes. The Blackstone doesn’t fit my style of cooking. They are too messy. I didn’t want the inevitable grease on my brand new deck. I gave my used one to my brother in law. I sent @Photo Egg one without the griddle. (Spare parts from warranty claims).  I kept another new one in the box for over a year and gave it to @JRWhitee.

I’ve got a 15” Birmingham CI pan that suits me just fine.  There hasn’t been a single time that I wish I had the Blackstone back. 
    @DoubleEgger - you're doing it wrong!
    How so? We aren’t big breakfast eaters and the wifey doesn’t like smashburgers. I’ve got a wok for stir fry on the medium and an nice collection of vintage CI. For me, it’s not worth the hassle, mess, and deck space. I understand I’m in the minority that’s why I’ve clarified my statements with “for my style of cooking”. 

It’s easy to get caught up in the “Next Greatest Thing” on the forum without performing a self assessment as to whether of not it fits in with your style of cooking.  
    Because he asked for help making him fall in love with it again.  You did the opposite.  Even an engineer should be able to figure that out.  =)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    2 we use. Also have some shallow CI and others
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    For the $79 paid for my 28" BS, I knew I couldn't go wrong.  Use it a lot during the summer.  There are 5 of us and once my twin boys hit that eating nonstop phase I anticipate using it even more.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Between fried rice, stir fry and smash burgers we use ours all the time.  Haven't done breakfast on it yet.  May do pancakes and hashbrowns tomorrow.  We prefer bacon cooked in the oven.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    For the $79 paid for my 28" BS, I knew I couldn't go wrong.  Use it a lot during the summer.  There are 5 of us and once my twin boys hit that eating nonstop phase I anticipate using it even more.

That's a good point. My kiddos are 5 and 7 and already starting to "snack" like crazy. I'm just envisioning when they become teenagers in a few years.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• H12mike
    H12mike Posts: 134
    Options
    We bought the smaller Blackstone and found it was great for smash burgers.  But then, the novelty wore off.  We never did eat that many burgers to begin with.  Now, the new novelty is sous vide.  This forum can become quite expensive.

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX

• BobDanger
    Options
    I’m with you. I had 4 kids and wish I had my 36” 20 years ago. It just makes cooking a quality diner so much easer after work.

my only regret now is I upgraded to a 36 from my 28...I gave the 28 to my oldest son. The 28 just fit my cooking style better.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • DoubleEgger
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Has anyone else experienced this? I've had my Blackstone about 8 months. I used it twice a week the 1st few months. But I don't think I've used it since August or September. I get annoyed having to clean it, and lately I've been dealing with not only mold growth but also rusty spots. To me it's become more hassle than anything else. I don't think I want to get rid of it but all I have used it for in the last 4 months or so is as a table top to sit my egg stuff when I don't need it. Help me out folks, help me fall in love with this thing again.
    Yes. The Blackstone doesn’t fit my style of cooking. They are too messy. I didn’t want the inevitable grease on my brand new deck. I gave my used one to my brother in law. I sent @Photo Egg one without the griddle. (Spare parts from warranty claims).  I kept another new one in the box for over a year and gave it to @JRWhitee.

I’ve got a 15” Birmingham CI pan that suits me just fine.  There hasn’t been a single time that I wish I had the Blackstone back. 
    @DoubleEgger - you're doing it wrong!
    How so? We aren’t big breakfast eaters and the wifey doesn’t like smashburgers. I’ve got a wok for stir fry on the medium and an nice collection of vintage CI. For me, it’s not worth the hassle, mess, and deck space. I understand I’m in the minority that’s why I’ve clarified my statements with “for my style of cooking”. 

It’s easy to get caught up in the “Next Greatest Thing” on the forum without performing a self assessment as to whether of not it fits in with your style of cooking.  
    Because he asked for help making him fall in love with it again.  You did the opposite.  Even an engineer should be able to figure that out.  =)
    Ahhh. I gotcha. It’s a slow day for this Trade Schooler. 
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    I got rid of mine instead of storing it while we build.  Just didn’t matter enough to me.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Is this Blackstone craze over? I wonder if sales have plateaued. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Not sure where my post went but I'm debating getting this one. Its pretty cheap and I like my other lodge stuff. Plus I could take it camping.

• bgebrent
    Options
    It’s a frenzy.  Thanks to this thread.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I have a friend that is a waffle house regional manager and has been on my for years to take a waffle house griddle off his hands for years. I would love to have that in an outdoor kitchen on our lanai, but I don't know that we'll even be here that long.  It can't run off of propane and would need to run a natural gas line out there.

Would be fun though.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Grilltastic
    Options
    I use this on my LBGE and gives me a 2nd pizza stone, it is a Lodge
    Boynton Beach, Fl
  • BobDanger
    Options
    Yep...now the lodge craze is on.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • jdkeithbge
    Options
    @TEXASBGE2018 I would recommend doing fried rice on it, that's a family favorite.  I went through similar spells where I haven't used it as much in the past few months, but then did fajitas a couple nights ago and am always pleased with the results.  When I need it I'm always glad I have it.  I did think I would use it a lot more for big breakfasts with 4 kids, but that hasn't happened as often as I thought.  Part of that is my Goldilocks wife, it's either too hot in the summer for her to cook pancakes with it or too cold in the winter.  I do enjoy cooking on it more in the fall and winter just cause standing over it sweating isn't that fun.  Anyway, do some fried rice or philly cheesesteaks on it and see if you can't spark that old flame.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I don't like frying in the kitchen so I use it often.  Once a week I fry up a package of bacon to chop up to have in the fridge.  Or browning ground beef for recipes.  I'd have it just for these two reasons.  Let alone the smashburgers, fried rice, amazing sandwiches, quesadillas, or the breakfast fare.

Getting board of the Blackstone...smh.  That's just crazytalk.

Phoenix 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Not sure where my post went but I'm debating getting this one. Its pretty cheap and I like my other lodge stuff. Plus I could take it camping.
    I have this on my Christmas list. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2018
    Options
    And for all you blackstone bacon folks, cook your bacon in the oven at 350 on a foil lined sheet. This is one of the best tricks I learned from owning a restaurant.

#mybaconisbetterthanyours

low and slow bacon is way better than griddled bacon. 

Now it’s a party up in here :smiley:
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    Heck I got tired of my Egg early on as well, when the "newness" wears off.  The spark comes in finding something new and different.  I know I have not even come close to tapping the capabilities of the egg, same goes for the BS.  
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Oh....and tacos. It's great for tacos. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options

That's a good point. My kiddos are 5 and 7 and already starting to "snack" like crazy. I'm just envisioning when they become teenagers in a few years.
    Ours are 8.  One boy just loves food, the flavors, seasoning, etc., just enjoys food and cooking food as well.  He is always asking for griddle lessons.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Heck I got tired of my Egg early on as well, when the "newness" wears off.  The spark comes in finding something new and different.  I know I have not even come close to tapping the capabilities of the egg, same goes for the BS.  
    @ElkhornHusker the above post has so many options.  Insert favorite EGG substitute word/phrase here and go for Friday night.  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.