Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I've kinda grown tired of my Blackstone

Has anyone else experienced this? I've had my Blackstone about 8 months. I used it twice a week the 1st few months. But I don't think I've used it since August or September. I get annoyed having to clean it, and lately I've been dealing with not only mold growth but also rusty spots. To me it's become more hassle than anything else. I don't think I want to get rid of it but all I have used it for in the last 4 months or so is as a table top to sit my egg stuff when I don't need it. Help me out folks, help me fall in love with this thing again.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    edited December 2018
    3 lbs of bacon and a couple dozen pancakes should do it.

If not, do Philly Cheesesteaks

I find the Blackstone super easy to clean and maintain. Mine sits outside with a stainless cover and I have zero issues. 

A quick scrap and squirt with water after I'm finished and it's good to go
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• ColtsFan said:
    3 lbs of bacon and a couple dozen pancakes should do it.

If not, do Philly Cheesesteaks

I find the Blackstone super easy to clean and maintain. Mine sits outside with a stainless cover and I have zero issues. 

A quick scrap and squirt with water after I'm finished and it's good to go
    Ya I have the stainless cover also. I guess the air has been a bit more humid than normal here in Dallas lately so I’ve been having these rust and mold issues a ton. I’ve been trying to keep it in working order even though I’m not cooking on it. But every time I go check it I have new rust spots. I haven’t done a fried rice dish yet. I may try that. Dunno about Spam though. I guess I just need inspiration more than anything. I really don’t want to get rid of this thing. It cooks great I just hate cleaning up the grease. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    I too used mine often at first, but then wound up putting it the storage building a couple of months ago and have not given it another thought.
    I suppose I will get it back out and use when we go camping next year.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited December 2018
    I had reservations similar to your findings so I never bought one. Ended up getting a side burner with an optional griddle attachment that I absolutely love. It's 1/4" stainless so you don't have to worry about rust. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • I can't help you. Don't own one but have used the 36 that a family member has. It's a piece of steel over a heat source. I have a griddle for the egg, gasser, Q-grill, and the oven in the kitchen, that all do the same and all are much easier to keep up. For 2 people, our options suite us much better. 

Now if if you feed large groups of people all the time, maybe
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,670
    i use mine almost every weekend. after 6 to 8 hours in the boat its nice to cook a quick burger or grill a sandwich melt in a mater of minutes. takes off the pressure of getting food off the egg later in the day.  i usually make up enough burger balls on friday to cook them saturday and sunday
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I could see the real estate being useful for....fajitas....or fried rice....or pancakes....or I don't know.  I never drank the kool-aid, I can do all of those just fine with my current equipment :)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,670
    one of the better things ive made although its easy indoors as well

savory french toast

brioche bread
    1 egg
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    salt
    tsp hot fermented pepper sauce
    fry in butter

saute  cherry tomato halves with italian spices,  top the french toast

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Mines a tool, a great tool may not get used often but it's there when I need it in the back of my tool chest ....didnt really get it to cook a meal
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Mine gets used every Saturday morning. Sits in my shop so it stays clean and dry.  I cooked 4# of bacon on it this week, and need to do a bunch of pancakes tomorrow.
    My XL will do Saturday night steaks, and Wednesday nights cook. Both are great tools.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    SonVolt said:
    I had reservations similar to your findings so I never bought one. Ended up getting a side burner with an optional griddle attachment that I absolutely love. It's 1/4" stainless so you don't have to worry about rust. 

where does the grease go?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Yes. The Blackstone doesn’t fit my style of cooking. They are too messy. I didn’t want the inevitable grease on my brand new deck. I gave my used one to my brother in law. I sent @Photo Egg one without the griddle. (Spare parts from warranty claims).  I kept another new one in the box for over a year and gave it to @JRWhitee.

I’ve got a 15” Birmingham CI pan that suits me just fine.  There hasn’t been a single time that I wish I had the Blackstone back. 
  • DoubleEgger
    lkapigian said:
    Very nice of you @DoubleEgger
    Thanks. Just glad to know that they are being put to good use by others. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    lkapigian said:
    Very nice of you @DoubleEgger
    Thanks. Just glad to know that they are being put to good use by others. 
    We use ours routinely.  Wouldn’t be without it.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Has anyone else experienced this? I've had my Blackstone about 8 months. I used it twice a week the 1st few months. But I don't think I've used it since August or September. I get annoyed having to clean it, and lately I've been dealing with not only mold growth but also rusty spots. To me it's become more hassle than anything else. I don't think I want to get rid of it but all I have used it for in the last 4 months or so is as a table top to sit my egg stuff when I don't need it. Help me out folks, help me fall in love with this thing again.
    Yes. The Blackstone doesn’t fit my style of cooking. They are too messy. I didn’t want the inevitable grease on my brand new deck. I gave my used one to my brother in law. I sent @Photo Egg one without the griddle. (Spare parts from warranty claims).  I kept another new one in the box for over a year and gave it to @JRWhitee.

I’ve got a 15” Birmingham CI pan that suits me just fine.  There hasn’t been a single time that I wish I had the Blackstone back. 
    @DoubleEgger - you're doing it wrong!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I gave my used one to my brother in law. I sent @Photo Egg one without the griddle. (Spare parts from warranty claims).  I kept another new one in the box for over a year and gave it to @JRWhitee.
    That’s mighty fine of you brother Double. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Tspud1 said:
    SonVolt said:

where does the grease go?

It's hard to see from this photo, but the burner itself has a grease trap built in with a pull-out shelf to empty it.  Grease can flow over the front of the griddle and down into the trap. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • bgebrent
    Your style of cooking sucks.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    One of the few forum "Gotta Haves" that I intentionally avoided.  That decision came on a rare clarity of vision evening.  But to each his/her own.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Im getting rid of mine. Just don’t use it anymore. I have a lodge griddle I can use in my bge if I want to griddle something. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bgebrent
    It’s a tool that benefits larger volume cooks, breakfast especially.  Also stir fry, burgers and so forth.  Love my BS.  As Micheal indicated it is about your cooking style.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    @DoubleEgger knew it would get plenty of use at my house. #bestgiftever

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • DoubleEgger
    bgebrent said:
    At least I don't have to claim credit for my wife's cooking. 
  • DoubleEgger
    bgebrent said:
      Love my BS.  
    What does N think about those grease stains on the deck?  ;)
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    bgebrent said:
    At least I don't have to claim credit for my wife's cooking. 
    Sh!t just got real.

Johns Creek, Georgia