Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Smoking Raw Salmon

being a gadget freak and after seeing the post of 11/13/2013 from The Cen-Tex Smoker, I was wondering about
cold smoking raw Salmon (from Walmart)  . . . is there an IT I should be concerned about reaching?

Lrg 2008
Mini 2009

Comments

• st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    edited December 2018
    If you are trying to reach an IT, it would be hot smoking

cold smoke cured salmon

or hot smoke raw salmon
  • EggbertGreenII
    EggbertGreenII Posts: 253
    edited December 2018
    Here is a recipe for cold smoked salmon that I'm anxious to try. It's a Steven Raichlen  video. From what I've learned, the secret is in the curing prior to smoking. Raichlen suggests smoking the salmon in this recipe for 12 hours.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNeGWC7dd98
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
     + 1 needs to be cured, smoke temp below 70 ideal , use High Quality Salmon...probably not Wal-Mart 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian said:
     + 1 needs to be cured, smoke temp below 70 ideal , use High Quality Salmon...probably not Wal-Mart 
    I live in a 1 horse town in NE KS, so options are limited unless I make a road trip to Manhattan KS of 120 miles round trip . . . prob wait until I have a few other things before I make that kind of trip.  What kind of Salmon would you recommend?
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • st¡ke said:

cold smoke cured salmon

or hot smoke raw salmon
    Thanks Jeff!
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I would encourage you to read Cold Smoking Meats: Don't Do It by Meathead Goldwyn, a guy many here respect a lot.  He specifically includes cold-smoking fish in "don't do it."  He says, among other things,
    Yes, many people do it. Many people also go 100 mph on the highway. That doesn't make it safe. I have excellent equipment and extensive knowledge of the subject, yet I never cold smoke. I love my family too much... 

... Acme Smoked Fish is the largest commercial fish smoker in the nation. I have toured their plant in Pompano Beach, Florida, where they have precise instrumentation and tip top sanitation and a HACCP plan. Yet in 2015 they had to recall some fish. Food safety professor Martin Wiedmann of Cornell University says the problem is that "it's not hot enough to kill the listeria that comes in the raw fish."
    Also, I've never seen true sushi-grade salmon in a store, and if hasn't been frozen to super-low temperatures, much lower than normal freezers, then it can infect you with parasites if it's not cooked to 160° or above.  fyi
  • Been to Marysville (Jeffery energy center), so I guessed Wal-Mart salmon is your best choice.  Go ahead and get some, do the salt pack overnight, wash it off and let the pelicle form, and hot smoke it.  You will love it!
  • Been to Marysville (Jeffery energy center), so I guessed Wal-Mart salmon is your best choice.  Go ahead and get some, do the salt pack overnight, wash it off and let the pelicle form, and hot smoke it.  You will love it!
    Thank You . . . I worked for UPRR (Ret) and been there a few times when I took a setup to take a coal train there, not my normal seniority district run.
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Theophan said:
    I would encourage you to read Cold Smoking Meats: Don't Do It by Meathead Goldwyn, a guy many here respect a lot.  He specifically includes cold-smoking fish in "don't do it."  He says, among other things,
    Yes, many people do it. Many people also go 100 mph on the highway. That doesn't make it safe. I have excellent equipment and extensive knowledge of the subject, yet I never cold smoke. I love my family too much... 

... Acme Smoked Fish is the largest commercial fish smoker in the nation. I have toured their plant in Pompano Beach, Florida, where they have precise instrumentation and tip top sanitation and a HACCP plan. Yet in 2015 they had to recall some fish. Food safety professor Martin Wiedmann of Cornell University says the problem is that "it's not hot enough to kill the listeria that comes in the raw fish."
    Also, I've never seen true sushi-grade salmon in a store, and if hasn't been frozen to super-low temperatures, much lower than normal freezers, then it can infect you with parasites if it's not cooked to 160° or above.  fyi
    Thank You Theophan . . . guess I be better to try a hot smoke
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Amazed me that those 3 boilers could burn thru 3 trains per day! 100+ cars per train.  All coming from Powder River Basin in Wyoming.  That’s a lot of coal!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    st¡ke said:

cold smoke cured salmon

or hot smoke raw salmon
    Thanks Jeff!
    It might be a different Jeff, but it's not the Stike,man.
    st¡ke said:

cold smoke cured salmon

or hot smoke raw salmon
    Thanks Jeff!
    It's me. Absolutely. 

I'm definitely not anyone else

signed 
    jeff

• nolaegghead
    st¡ke said:
    st¡ke said:

cold smoke cured salmon

or hot smoke raw salmon
    Thanks Jeff!
    It's me. Absolutely. 

I'm definitely not anyone else

signed 
    jeff

But that's not what you said.
    Wait. Whatever he said is BS. 

I am definitely not anyone pretending to be anyone. 

Ask me something only I would know 
  • nolaegghead
    Sure.  Who did you email yesterday and say you don't know whose account yours is but it certainly wasn't his?
    You! Obviously. 

what do I win? 
  • nolaegghead
    Wasn't me.  I just heard it from someone who had just heard from him responding to the inquiry.  Nice try.  As long as you're funny  informative and mean to the deserving, I'll pretend you are (stike)...
    Wasn't me.  I just heard it from someone who had just heard from him responding to the inquiry.  Nice try.  As long as you're funny  informative and mean to the deserving, I'll pretend you are (stike)...
    Oh. I misunderstood the question.  

You said *I* emailed someone.

The person who emailed me was someone you know very well. I would say his name here but don't want to out him because he is very private. 

I told him this account wasn't me for reasons of plausible deniability. 

But it actually is me. 

See?
  • DFW
    DFW Posts: 208
    Who is stike? 
    Arlington, TX
  • DFW
    DFW Posts: 208
    I support plausible deniability - red team

Arlington, TX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    st¡ke said:

The person who emailed me was someone you know very well. I would say his name here but don't want to out him because he is very private. 

But it actually is me. 

See?
    we would need to see this years pumpkin =) see?
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Anyone cold smoke then smoke with heat?

Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    BobDanger said:
    Anyone cold smoke then smoke with heat?

Every time I try to smoke something now that the crack in my base has expanded.
  • st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    edited December 2018
    st¡ke said:

But it actually is me. 

See?
    we would need to see this years pumpkin =) see?
    I only share my "pumpkin" with close friends. But pictures of it are out there on the internet. 

Adults only. 
  • DFW said:
    Who is stike? 
      I can't answer at but I can tell you this place is a lot more interesting when he contributes
    South of Columbus, Ohio.