Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where Do you Buy your Meat?

Just curious.

I mostly buy from Sams or Restaurant Depot, although I've recently found a butcher that's not too bad.

Does anyone order from on-line - and who has a good results from on line?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Bought from Sam's once. Not good. Never went back. Regular grocery stores for me. Would never consider places like $RF. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    Local butchers, Publix, and Snake River Farms online for the good stuff 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    edited December 2018
    Local butcher for personal , Bulk Warehouse places for events ..havent done online ....yet
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    In a parking lot, from a guy that first buys it in a driveway.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    Legume said:
    Lucky!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Ol Timey Meat Market (name of the place), Publix and occasionally Costco. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    If you’re interested in buying online I can highly recommend Creekstone. If you register with them you will get emails for some excellent sales. I have purchased a dozen prime strips and 3 Tri-tips. Very tasty. I visit a butcher in Bowling Green KY that sells prime only. Very good. Costco and occasionally Sams. Hell no to Kroger’s. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Just to clarify my earlier post, I have no nearby decent butcher and I refuse to pay SRF-like prices. So I'm stuck with "ordinary" meat. No big deal as I eat more chicken than anything else anyway. I've had Costco beef at my bro's house and have never been disappointed. One of these days, perhaps I'll join. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    I have two local butchers who do a nice job when I’m not buying in bulk. But primarily Restaurant depot for almost everything.  I buy bulk burger at Costco. I buy Butts from GFS store if I’m going nearby. Never-ever from the grocery store. The quality in Columbus is not very good from my experiences, but it has been a long time.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    HEB (Texas grocery store) and 2 local butchers. One sometimes has Creekstone prime briskets. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331
    Local butcher, Sam's, Costco, SRF and Creekstone Farms 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Grocery store here for the smaller cuts (I actually don't have any "local" butchers anymore :bawling:).  I buy my "big" cuts at the local Commissary, but that only works for current/retired military; very cheap, good selection, and include cuts like Korean short ribs that the local mormon boys girls wouldn't know what to do with.   ;)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Costco for steaks, brisket and pork bellies. My local butcher carries Bell and Evans chickens so that is where I go for chicken.
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • After seeing his recent posts, from now on, I plan to buy all my meat from @The Cen-Tex Smoker.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    Costco and Fresh Market on occasion 
    Jacksonville FL
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Sam's, Costco and local grocery stores for regular meats and cuts.  I purchase some items online as they aren't available locally.  Some places I'll never order from again.  Others I order from regularly.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • Costco for brisket & pork belly, butcher for steaks & chicken
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    Heb, recently got a Costco membership, from the sounds of it I need to buy some meat from there. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    edited December 2018
    Costco and yes Kroger for chix wings and other pieces parts.  Local butcher for beef ribs.  I do buy a fair amount from SRF-briskets unless I see a  substantial deal on another product (which is quite infrequent).  I will also buy from suppliers of unique cuts based on recommendations here.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Publix mainly. Sometimes Costco. 
    Madison, AL
  • Smartfood Service (which used to be Cash and Carry) for the big cuts, butts, clods, chucks. They have a deli room that i can’t get out of for under $100US. Costco USA for ribs and USDA prime steaks. Costco CDN for chicken and poultry and Italian sausage.

Have a local store, Meridian Meats which has excellent grass fed NZ strip steaks and tri-tip. The 1” thick NY strips are about 8oz, from much smaller cattle. 
    I often check out Fred Meyer, Kroger in the east, for flank, hanger steak and on the odd occasion, tri-tips. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029

some guy just pulled into my driveway with all kinds of frozen beef, chicken, pork, and seafood. He says it is from the same place that Omaha steaks come from.

I just paid $120.00 for

USDA choice boneless beef filet-bacon wrapped 12 pieces-50ozs

Beef loin T bone steaks 4 pieces-40ozs

USDA choice filet of beef sirloin ball tip steaks 8 pieces-50ozs

USDA choice boneless beef tips 10 pieces-50ozs

USDA boneless beef fillet 10 pieces-50ozs

"homestyle" pure chopped beef steaks 24 pieces-80ozs

The meat looked good and was stamped as packaged in the last few days. It was flash frozen. The brochure says the beef pack goes for $329.00 and I paid $120.00. The guy said it was the end of the day and they just want to get rid of it etc.........

The brochure says the company is Ranch House quality meats and there is a number for free delivery in the future. I hope I didn't just get taken. I also hope I didn't give a check to a meth addict. Has anyone here ever bought meat like this? I could barely fit it in my freezer and probably won't have to buy beef for 8 months now.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• bucky925 said:

some guy just pulled into my driveway with all kinds of frozen beef, chicken, pork, and seafood. He says it is from the same place that Omaha steaks come from.

I just paid $120.00 for

The meat looked good and was stamped as packaged in the last few days. It was flash frozen. The brochure says the beef pack goes for $329.00 and I paid $120.00. The guy said it was the end of the day and they just want to get rid of it etc.........

The brochure says the company is Ranch House quality meats and there is a number for free delivery in the future. I hope I didn't just get taken. I also hope I didn't give a check to a meth addict. Has anyone here ever bought meat like this? I could barely fit it in my freezer and probably won't have to buy beef for 8 months now.

we get those guys as well.  My wife bought some once, wasn't bad or great
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • I usually go to Costco.  I have 4 butcher shops 20 minutes away.  It's nice living in beef country.  A RDepot just opened too.  Received a special for Crowded Cow online, may try that.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • On line at America’s Best Steaks in Bogue Kansas.  Local farm raised Black Angus that is aged 28 days, trimmed, and vacuum packed and froze!  It’s only 60 miles from the house, so I save the shipping costs!
  • About half a mile due South at Rouses grocery store. They have an on site butcher . Great pork especially.
  • Legume said:
    In a driveway. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bucky925 said:

I just paid $120.00 for

Dude. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    bucky925 said:

I just paid $120.00 for

Dude. 
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker my word exactly!  Followed by "Why?"
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    theres maybe 3 or 4 dozen descent butchershops near me and maybe more than 2 dozen supermarkets all within a 10 to 15 minute drive that i dont think about it anymore. i dont even shop for more than 2 days worth of food atmost. i dont think i could count all the small grocery places nearby

the regulars are market basket, mckinnons meats, thwaites market, butcherboy, brown and brudnicks, haverhill beef, raymonds farm, shaws farm, and aldis.  one of the closest is restaurant depot and i have not even been in the store, sams im not going to, bj's is ok but i dont really like the place, the area is so saturated that even costco hasnt moved in (i dont think they can compete with the loyalty that marketbasket customers give marketbasket)

i would never mail order meat but have thought about just having it delivered to the house by one of the farms, they are still in the milk delivery business

then theres the halal guy with the lambs

Image result for van fishlessman

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it