Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Run

Options

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:
    Nice 'Tex.

Any garden pics?

We have some of @DMW snow up here right now.  Going to start planting indoors.
    We are doing all raised/containers on the deck with a berry hutch being built for the yard. Not the prettiest setup yet  but I’ll get some pics later and post. I love having all the greenery up by my cooking area. Just feels right 
    With the raised stuff, the deer don't have to bend over so far to reach it!  I bet with it on your deck, that cuts down on some of the herbivore activity.  Do you have a fenced in backyard?

Hopefully this year I am woodchuck free.  The woodchuck empire was shut down early last year.  I think we totaled 16 confirmed kills with another 2 or 3 possible.  
    Wow. Yeah- we have a deer proof  back yard which is a good thing. We are loaded with deer out here and out city actually traps and kills them to manage the population. On top of that, my main floor is actually the 2nd floor in the back so my deck is 20 feet up. If there is a deer on my deck, something has gone horribly wrong. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:
    Nice 'Tex.

Any garden pics?

We are doing all raised/containers on the deck with a berry hutch being built for the yard. Not the prettiest setup yet  but I’ll get some pics later and post. I love having all the greenery up by my cooking area. Just feels right 
    With the raised stuff, the deer don't have to bend over so far to reach it!  I bet with it on your deck, that cuts down on some of the herbivore activity.  Do you have a fenced in backyard?

Hopefully this year I am woodchuck free.  The woodchuck empire was shut down early last year.  I think we totaled 16 confirmed kills with another 2 or 3 possible.  
    Wow. Yeah- we have a deer proof  back yard which is a good thing. We are loaded with deer out here and out city actually traps and kills them to manage the population. On top of that, my main floor is actually the 2nd floor in the back so my deck is 20 feet up. If there is a deer on my deck, something has gone horribly wrong. 
    I'm not sure I should share this on the interwebz, but we had a deer issue when we lived in IA, and caliqueen was very much vexed that they were munching on her garden stuff. 

I figured that the order of the alpha male creature had to be established. Think like an animal and all that. So, I saved my pee in a gallon jug for a few days, then poured it out along the perimeter of the property in the middle of the night. Seemed to work, so I did it every month or so. 

Kinda explains why my yard never looked that great :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:
    Nice 'Tex.

Any garden pics?

I'm not sure I should share this on the interwebz, but we had a deer issue when we lived in IA, and caliqueen was very much vexed that they were munching on her garden stuff. 

I figured that the order of the alpha male creature had to be established. Think like an animal and all that. So, I saved my pee in a gallon jug for a few days, then poured it out along the perimeter of the property in the middle of the night. Seemed to work, so I did it every month or so. 

Kinda explains why my yard never looked that great :smiley:
    Oh. I just close the gate. Same-same. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Broke in to the new stash of wagyu. Gave one flat iron to legume after he bought us dinner and drinks last night (we came out way ahead on that deal) but I had one left. Sliced it on the bias and put in the marinade for bulgogi later tonight. I don’t know what he feeds these cows but it sure makes them pretty. 

• caliking
    Options
    Ho. Lee. Chit.

Look at that. It's unreal.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    Ho. Lee. Chit.

It really is pretty crazy. I can bring you some down next weekend. 
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:
    Ho. Lee. Chit.

It really is pretty crazy. I can bring you some down next weekend. 
    Is a frog’s azz watertight?
    Yes.  Please. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Broke in to the new stash of wagyu. Gave one flat iron to legume after he bought us dinner and drinks last night (we came out way ahead on that deal) but I had one left. Sliced it on the bias and put in the marinade for bulgogi later tonight. I don’t know what he feeds these cows but it sure makes them pretty. 

I've never seen beef like that IRL. Wow...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DMW said:

And he delivers to my house. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    DMW said:

That's it, I'm moving. Any houses for sale in your development?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DMW said:
    DMW said:

That's it, I'm moving. Any houses for sale in your development?
    Possibly one for the right buyer...
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    Your local wagyu is kicking my local wagyu's A$$!! I'll see if i can't find a pic of mine to give you a good laugh!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    This didn’t suck. But this is all  I’ve been able to get locally so far. I think I’ll be bringing a cooler when I finally make that long awaited Austin roadie. 
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    This didn’t suck. But this is all  I’ve been able to get locally so far. I think I’ll be bringing a cooler when I finally make that long awaited Austin roadie. 
    Im not laughing at that! Looks pretty good to me. I’ve seen mor marbles wagyu but none with dark color. that looks like snake river farms time (half angus half wagyu) which I really love.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The wagyu man cometh...

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    2 whole flaps, 3 ribeyes, 3 Denver, 1 flat iron, 2 chuckies, 6 skirts (coming Tuesday), and a couple a freebie summer sausages. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I’ll see you in the morning. Wowza 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    My neighbor got a 50/50 Wagyu/Charolais brisket for Christmas. Can’t wait to see how that turns out. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options

The wagyu man cometh...
    That stuff simply does not exist here in Central Ohio. At least not that I can find. I would say something, but no words do justice. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Jstroke said:

The wagyu man cometh...
    That stuff simply does not exist here in Central Ohio. At least not that I can find. I would say something, but no words do justice. 
    We are very lucky to have several right in my area. Farmers markets have 1-2 local wagyunhuys and pastures chickens and hogs. I have 4 of those markets writhing 30 minutes of my house. This guy delivers though and knows what I like. He throws me his “off” cuts too since he knows I don’t care and can fix it anyway. 
  • caliking
    Options
    Good grief, man!! That is glorious. 

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    How are his briskets compared to SRF?
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    How are his briskets compared to SRF?
    I’ve never done one of his yet. I’ll see when my neighbor does his in a few weeks. Based on everything else I’ve gotten from them Im sure they are pretty solid. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    My happy place:

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I do need another one of those flat irons at some point, just to make sure it’s the same as before.  Next run maybe.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    I do need another one of those flat irons at some point, just to make sure it’s the same as before.  Next run maybe.
    Those things are insane. Im getting some skirts tomorrow. Think it will be 4-5 of them. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Legume said:
    Those things are insane. Im getting some skirts tomorrow. Think it will be 4-5 of them. 
    Let me know if you have more skirt than you can handle.

Wait, that sounds weird.  

You know what I mean.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
  • Chris8938
    Options
    PSA, they do ship their product.  I texted Brian and he stated he can ship to Wisconsin for around $50 or so...meat will be packed with dry ice and shipped 2 day.  
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Chris8938 said:
    PSA, they do ship their product.  I texted Brian and he stated he can ship to Wisconsin for around $50 or so...meat will be packed with dry ice and shipped 2 day.  
    Nice. Highly recommended. He does ship all over the world (he’s a big operation) but I never considered they would ship to other states.  I think selling the single cuts is his side hustle but I’m happy he does. Great quality beef.