Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Confit turkey legs - looking for advice on my Thanx plan

Howdy all -

In an effort to drown out my tears from Beto not being able to turn Red Texas Blue, I am neck-deep in my Thanksgiving planning.  This year, rather than using ice bags/etc to do the perfect roasted whole bird, this year the plan is:
  • Two 15 lb turkeys
  • Roast the breast skin (sandwiched between two half sheets)
  • SV the breasts (tied and rolled like a roast)
  • Confit the legs (the weekend ahead)
  • Make stock with the carcasses/wings (the weekend ahead)
I have been looking at a ton of ways to confit the legs, and am looking to pick the best of each to get the best results.  Here are a few:
Key questions for those of you that are still on the forum:
  • Have any of you done this? (method, lessons learned, results)
  • Pre-brine - Do it or not, and for how long?
  • I have an induction stove and can hold low temp indefinitely - 200F for long or 325F for short?  My bias is lower and longer (the anti-turbo).  Oven or stove (or does it matter)?
I will take pics as we go.  This should be killer.

A preview below - duck fat, butter and ham hocks

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
GE induction stove
Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited November 2018
    I do a version of this and with Chicken Thighs and they come out killer- No Need to Add Fat I just do it very slow, the fat will render then cook in its own fat 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO0u2hU4z6E&t=36s
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    lkapigian said:
    I do a version of this and with Chicken Thighs and they come out killer- No Need to Add Fat I just do it very slow, the fat will render then cook in its own fat 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO0u2hU4z6E&t=36s
    Thanks for that, but..... I HAVE to add the fat, because (as was pictured), I already bought a MST of duck fat.  I will, however, view and see if there are tips to be integrated into the plan.

Duck fat sweet potato fries may be on the menu as well.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I vote for the 2nd recipe you listed, minus the nitrite. Not sure that “hammy” flavor is something I’d want in turkey confit. 

I also vote for lower and slower. It’s always mo bettah,  when feasible. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • If I may suggest something for consideration on the breasteses.

meat glue them together to make a roulade, scrape all the fat off the inside of the skin, wrap it all the way around the roulade with meat glue as well. Then sous vide. quick fry the skin or torch it when ready to serve. There is a crispy bite of skin in every bite and 100% juicy breast meat underneath. 

I have the meat glue. Just sayin...
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • 20stone
    If I may suggest something for consideration on the breasteses.

meat glue them together to make a roulade, scrape all the fat off the inside of the skin, wrap it all the way around the roulade with meat glue as well. Then sous vide. quick fry the skin or torch it when ready to serve. There is a crispy bite of skin in every bite and 100% juicy breast meat underneath. 

That sounds awesome.

The recipe I have followed in the past involves creating a big skin chip (https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/sous-vide-turkey-breast-crispy-skin-recipe-thanksgiving.html).  Your idea is even better.

On the other hand, "meat glue" sounds a little iffy:
    https://delishably.com/food-industry/Meat-Glue-What-It-Is-And-What-You-Should-Know

(at least according to some anti-vaxxer types)
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1146770/brine-yep-meat-glue-yep-sous-vide-yep-torch-yep-awesome-oh-yes-tfj-killed-it-tonight/p1

here is a step by step we did with yard bird.

Meat glue is awesome and it's everywhere. Don't listen to the debbie downers. It it weren't for meat glue your body would melt in to a pile of goo. 
  • 20stone said:
    If I may suggest something for consideration on the breasteses.

That sounds awesome.

The recipe I have followed in the past involves creating a big skin chip (https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/sous-vide-turkey-breast-crispy-skin-recipe-thanksgiving.html).  Your idea is even better.

On the other hand, "meat glue" sounds a little iffy:
    https://delishably.com/food-industry/Meat-Glue-What-It-Is-And-What-You-Should-Know

(at least according to some anti-vaxxer types)
    I didn't read the article but I read enough. Here is the bio of the author: 

I'm still ok using meat glue even though the dental hygienist vegetarian is afraid of it. 

I'm a dental hygienist, pyrography artist, avid gardener, writer, vegetarian, world traveler, and many other things!

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    You guys are awesome. Confit, meat glue, sous vide.... I love it. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone

“I'm a dental hygienist, pyrography artist, avid gardener, writer, vegetarian, world traveler, and many other things!”

I just caught the “vegetarian” part.  That makes her untrustworthy, at least WRT meat, and meat related products. 

On the roulade, do you just glue it all together, or do you tie it for shape as well (or even sew the skin around)?  Last, I am assuming the skin will be pretty rubbery from the SV.  Would you broil, torch or pan baste? (note - I own ALL the duck fat)
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    edited November 2018
    Awesome. I really appreciate the step-by-step, and will take your up on mooching some glue. I am actually doing 2 birds and expect to make two roulades, as one giant roulade might be tougher to handle.  

Just spitballing here, but would a thin layer of prosciutto under the skin be a good thing?

Also, will the glue set up in the fridge?  I plan on butchering weekend before, and may (or may not) bag it that far in advance. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    “Meat glue” from Amazon work ok? I suppose all transglutaminase is the same?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone said:
    Awesome. I really appreciate the step-by-step, and will take your up on mooching some glue. I am actually doing 2 birds and expect to make two roulades, as one giant roulade might be tougher to handle.  

Just spitballing here, but would a thin layer of prosciutto under the skin be a good

really interesting idea. 
    Only concern I would have is how prosciutto would hold up in a long Sv bath. I glue prosciitto to the outside of stuff off the time  but usually grill it. 
  • You could use prosciutto instead of skin for sure. 
  • caliking
    Photobucket Pictures Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures Images and Photos

Sorry for the photobucket tags. These are old pics. 
    God. Daaamn.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited November 2018
    SciAggie said:
    “Meat glue” from Amazon work ok? I suppose all transglutaminase is the same?
    Yep. Get the Moo Gloo from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Transglutaminase-Meat-Glue-Formula-50g/dp/B00EIGV7MC

• 20stone said:

Just spitballing here, but would a thin layer of prosciutto under the skin be a good thing?

Also, will the glue set up in the fridge?  I plan on butchering weekend before, and may (or may not) bag it that far in advance. 
    Yes- Meat glue will set up in the fridge. Takes longer but works perfectly fine. Leave it overnight and you won’t be able to pull it apart. 
  • SciAggie
    It’s a bit hard to tell from the pics - can you step through the wrapping process. I get how you stacked the breasts. The skin then is wrapped around the two stacked breasts. When you put it in the plastic wrap and tighten the wrap - it compresses the chicken/skin assembly. Does that cause any issues with the way the skin covers the chicken? Just trying to visualize how the chicken assembly is behaving as the plastic wrap is tightened.
    Thanks so much for your detailed descriptions. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    you can make the meat glue into a slurry and spread it around with a brush.  works real nice.  i think cen tex put me onto modernistpantry??  pics above area awesome: do not forget to scrape all the fat, if you want to glue skin back on.  it glues proteins together, not fat! 

we (and by we, i mean my BIL) have done confit turkey, for christmas, and the skin exactly the way you propose.  whole turkey gets broken down and put into a roaster and confit in duck fat.  like you, we stockpile duckfat for weeks before chrismas. honestly it's good but doesn't blow me away.  i prefer confit duck.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SciAggie said:
    It’s a bit hard to tell from the pics - can you step through the wrapping process. I get how you stacked the breasts. The skin then is wrapped around the two stacked breasts. When you put it in the plastic wrap and tighten the wrap - it compresses the chicken/skin assembly. Does that cause any issues with the way the skin covers the chicken? Just trying to visualize how the chicken assembly is behaving as the plastic wrap is tightened.
    The wrap actually helps holds the skin in place. The glue gets tacky in a few minutes so that helps as well. As you twist and tighten the ends of the wrap, it squeezes it all together and really compresses the skin. Let me see if I can find better pics or a YouTube video. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited November 2018
    Could have saved myself a lot of time and you guys a lot of pain from looking at these bad pics. Here is a great video from chef steps starting with a whole bird:

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/chicken-roulade

• caliking
    SciAggie said:
    If I read correctly, you need more than the skins of 2 breasts for this. The extra is what likely ensures complete coverage,  despite the manipulation when wrapping and twisting it up in the plastic wrap. 

• SciAggie
    Could have saved myself a lot of time and you guys a lot of pain from looking at these bad pics. Here is a great video from chef steps starting with a whole bird:

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/chicken-roulade

Thank you. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking said:
    SciAggie said:
    If I read correctly, you need more than the skins of 2 breasts for this. The extra is what likely ensures complete coverage,  despite the manipulation when wrapping and twisting it up in the plastic wrap. 
    Better to start with a whole bird like the video I just posted. You will have extra to trim away but better to use one piece than the patchwork Franken-skin we used 
  • blind99 said:
    you can make the meat glue into a slurry and spread it around with a brush.  works real nice.  i think cen tex put me onto modernistpantry??  pics above area awesome: do not forget to scrape all the fat, if you want to glue skin back on.  it glues proteins together, not fat! 

we (and by we, i mean my BIL) have done confit turkey, for christmas, and the skin exactly the way you propose.  whole turkey gets broken down and put into a roaster and confit in duck fat.  like you, we stockpile duckfat for weeks before chrismas. honestly it's good but doesn't blow me away.  i prefer confit duck.
    We still use modernist pantry all the time. I think the amazon link is actually their store as well. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Beto is trash, but this is a great discussion.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Something that worked for me was doing the legs SV for 24 hours w. butter, so the meat would pull away from the tendons, but the melted gelatin would be there to mix w. the fat. Quick pan sear of the pulled away large muscle parts, and then back into the fat/gel mix.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    This thread is amazing.
    NOLA
  • 20stone
    And so we begin...

Two turkeys.  We were planning on 14 pounders, but these were bigger. Diestel organically from WF

Sometimes you learn...eventually. After years of rinsing the bird in the sink and sliming every surface in the kitchen with poultry bugs, I opened them in the stock pot and let the e-coli ridden blood go straight in the stock pot next to the cutting board. It is going to simmer a loooong time, so the bugs should meet their maker. 

Post butchery. Leg quarters in one tub, skinless breasts in another, skin in a bowl and carcass in the roasting pan so they can go straight in the ovens to toast pre-stock

The legs get a dry brine for a few hours before the duck fat bath. Different recipes vary on letting it sit before, but my bias is more time is better. I’ll throw them on low tonight before bed

Two turkey carcasses fill up a 16qt stock pot. We’re in the meniscus zone

Bonus pic - @20stonespice is pre-doing the filling for a pear, apple, cranberry pie. Those of you in Chicago might know this one from Hoosier Mama’s pie shop. Our apartment smells pretty good right now. 

More pics later of gluing breasts and leg quarters in duck fat
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX