Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT ooni Uuni Pro OT

Options

Comments

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    caliking have you ever done a 6-10 hour ferment outside of fridge?

A lot of what I have been reading says for neapolitan stye the fridge is actually not the way to go, which Im upset about because I like the idea of making the dough 2-3 days before actually cooking it being that most big pizza events in my household will be on weekends and my wife and I normally have a full weekend planned all the time, so getting up early to make the dough for later in the evening is not always going to be doable.

I have no idea why the first 2 recipes I choose happen to have EVOO in them when all the recipes I researched yesterday and sunday did not (go figure)

I did 2 recipes the other day and did 2 batches of each recipe and divided the 2 of each into 2 different fomenting ways

1- hand mix recipe a + b (½ CF for 48 hours with 12 room temp)(½ CF for 48          hours with 3-4 hours room temp) before stretching

2- machine mix recipe a + b (½ CF for 48 hours with 12 room temp)(½ CF for 48 hours with 3-4 hours room temp) before stretching

What I found was the 48 hour CF with 12 hour room temp was way to long and the dough for both recipes were to elastic and sticky and the dough grew 4 times the original size

the 48 hour CF w/ 3-4 hour room temp dough was much more manageable but still a littlle wet/sticky and wasn't as elastic as the previous dough but still not an easy stretch so both recipes need a lot fo work but because of the EVOO in them they are getting tossed and im trying a new recipe for now.

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    Wait, you summited Everest?
  • mlc2013
    Options
    Legume no but it sounded good 
    Long Island NY    
  • Legume
    Options
    Well, damn.  As an accomplished mountaineer that has solo’d Everest no less than several dozen times (I’ve lost count, oxygen deprivation you know), I was going to commend you.  

Will you settle for congrats on the oven?  May order one myself.  Any issues or shortcomings from your initial go around?
  • mlc2013
    Options
    well I commend you on your accomplishment so far the highest I have hiked is 1500 feet in the adirondack no oxygen deprivation and never wanted to go any higher then that. I find the ski lifts at various mountains fill that void for me so I dont see Everst in my future.

As far as the oven I really have nothing to compare it to as far as build quality it is pretty solid I have the biscotti saputto floor and it came to temp in under 20 minutes and made about 20 pizzas in a about 1.5 hours of run time and there were no problems every pizza was cooked in right around 60 seconds it is light enough to take in and out so I did not leave it outside and I will take it tailgating in the future. I like the flame on the side because I can see what I would assume the hottest part of the oven and fastest cooking part clear and see the dough browning to know when to turn the pizza without it burning I would assume that is a learned time on ovens with the flame in the rear without such great visibility 

The oven was never to hot to the touch on the top I never tried to touch the back or bottom. The lines are clean and smooth I think its a winner again with no past experience of another oven.
    Long Island NY    
  • Legume
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    well I commend you on your accomplishment so far the highest I have hiked is 1500 feet in the adirondack no oxygen deprivation and never wanted to go any higher then that. I find the ski lifts at various mountains fill that void for me so I dont see Everst in my future.
    LOL, I drove to the top of Pike’s Peak once.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @mlc2013 ferment time, whether cold or RT , is a function of how much yeast you have in the dough (among other things). If you want to slow the ferment at RT, then use less yeast. More if you want to speed it up. Elasticity of the dough will also depend on hydration, kneading, and fermentation. 

EVOO and sugar in the dough are added to adapt recipes for lower temp cooking, i.e kitchen ovens. Shouldn’t be needed with your nifty new oven. 

i experimented to find a dough that would work for the kid and us. I like a crispy slightly chewy crust, he likes a pan pizza type of crust, so I settled on an American style dough that works for all of us. 

You’ll play around with different variations ad infinitum. It’s what makes this fun :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    edited November 2018
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    caliking have you ever done a 6-10 hour ferment outside of fridge?

A lot of what I have been reading says for neapolitan stye the fridge is actually not the way to go, which Im upset about because I like the idea of making the dough 2-3 days before actually cooking it being that most big pizza events in my household will be on weekends and my wife and I normally have a full weekend planned all the time, so getting up early to make the dough for later in the evening is not always going to be doable.

I routinely do the RT ferment, same day dough.  It's the ENZO recipe that's in the Forkish book, and I like it because the ratio of quality to work is very high. It is also quite close to how they do it in Naples, provided that you lower the hydration to around 60 or so.  

But he has a lot of recipes in that book that are worth trying.  You can for sure make quality dough that is cold fermented in the fridge for a couple of days.  Then if you ever get in to using a sour dough starter, that's a whole nother world.  

But like Cali says, you have to just try different things to find what works for you and what you like.  It's a learning curve, and a fun one!  There is no single right way or wrong way to make pizza dough in my book.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Nice first effort!
    This post has more food photos than I've taken in my entire life! :)
    Even tho I have a Blackstone I've been thinking about getting either an Ooni Pro or a Roccbox. I went ahead and got the discount code for this oven and now I just have to decide. That  will be tough because I was already suffering from paralysis by analysis with just the two options.
    Following a thread on this oven over on the pizzamaking forum and although the floor of the Ardore is larger than the Ooni and Rbox word seems to be that getting in pies over about 12" might be a bit tricky so, realistically, this oven might be best at making pies about the same size as the other two ovens.
    I should probably just say screw it and go ahead and get the Fontana Mangiafuoco or Marinara oven since that is what I really want anyway.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    Awesome @mlc2013 !!! .... 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    caliking said:
    @mlc2013 ferment time, whether cold or RT , is a function of how much yeast you have in the dough (among other things). If you want to slow the ferment at RT, then use less yeast. More if you want to speed it up. Elasticity of the dough will also depend on hydration, kneading, and fermentation. 

EVOO and sugar in the dough are added to adapt recipes for lower temp cooking, i.e kitchen ovens. Shouldn’t be needed with your nifty new oven. 

i experimented to find a dough that would work for the kid and us. I like a crispy slightly chewy crust, he likes a pan pizza type of crust, so I settled on an American style dough that works for all of us. 

You’ll play around with different variations ad infinitum. It’s what makes this fun :)
    100% agree with the above.  And FWIW, I've dedicated an old wine fridge to pizza dough fermentation @ 60F.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Nice first effort!
    Even tho I have a Blackstone I've been thinking about getting either an Ooni Pro or a Roccbox. I went ahead and got the discount code for this oven and now I just have to decide. That  will be tough because I was already suffering from paralysis by analysis with just the two options.
    Following a thread on this oven over on the pizzamaking forum and although the floor of the Ardore is larger than the Ooni and Rbox word seems to be that getting in pies over about 12" might be a bit tricky so, realistically, this oven might be best at making pies about the same size as the other two ovens.
    I should probably just say screw it and go ahead and get the Fontana Mangiafuoco or Marinara oven since that is what I really want anyway.

You've brought the size issue up before but, frankly - if you're really interested in cooking Neapolitan style pies, they typically aren't much bigger than 12".  And there's a good reason for that - they're best when they're warm and fresh.  

Cooking that same style but with a much larger radius only makes sense if you have a big family and you want everyone to eat the same pizza all at once.  Otherwise, just cook two pies - that's what I typically do at our house when four of us sit down to eat and it works pretty well.  
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Nice first effort!

You've brought the size issue up before but, frankly - if you're really interested in cooking Neapolitan style pies, they typically aren't much bigger than 12".  And there's a good reason for that - they're best when they're warm and fresh.  

Cooking that same style but with a much larger radius only makes sense if you have a big family and you want everyone to eat the same pizza all at once.  Otherwise, just cook two pies - that's what I typically do at our house when four of us sit down to eat and it works pretty well.  
    If space, portability and the extra cash is not an issue I would rather have the larger Fontana as well. Would be cool to cook other things besides small pizzas.
    Grill a tray of oysters or whole red snapper would be cool.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:
    Nice first effort!

If space, portability and the extra cash is not an issue I would rather have the larger Fontana as well. Would be cool to cook other things besides small pizzas.
    Grill a tray of oysters or whole red snapper would be cool.
    No argument there.  I’ll be looking to get one of the larger ovens myself down the road.
  • HeavyG
    edited November 2018
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Nice first effort!

I don't have any problem with 12" pizzas. After all, that's the size I get when ordering from Domino's. :)
    I just tend to prefer about a 14"-er.
    Also, the AVPN folks say the diameter of an authentic pie is 30-35cm so both our preferences are in spec. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    Nice first effort!

I don't have any problem with 12" pizzas. After all, that's the size I get when ordering from Domino's. :)
    I just tend to prefer about a 14"-er.
    Also, the AVPN folks say the diameter of an authentic pie is 30-35cm so both our preferences are in spec. :)

Then I’d jump on the ardore while it’s on sale.
  • mlc2013
    Options
    @HeavyG plus don't forget to get the extra $60.00 off coupon as well

Long Island NY    
  • HeavyG
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    @HeavyG plus don't forget to get the extra $60.00 off coupon as well

There's an extra $60 off coupon in addition to the discount code you sign up to get??

• mlc2013
    Options
    HeavyG if you join the pizza party forum ask simone for discount code and hell send you code for $60.00 off
    https://www.ipizzaparty.it/search/ardore/
    Long Island NY    
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    @mlc2013 @JohnInCarolina what is the advantage to the Biscotto Saputo floor upgrade?
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Photo Egg
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    @mlc2013 @JohnInCarolina what is the advantage to the Biscotto Saputo floor upgrade?
    Features: slow accumulation of heat during the heating phase and a slow release during cooking.
    Beneficial when cooking at extremely high temps they claim, as it will not burn the bottom of pizza as easy with slower release of heat.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ColtsFan
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Features: slow accumulation of heat during the heating phase and a slow release during cooking.
    Beneficial when cooking at extremely high temps they claim, as it will not burn the bottom of pizza as easy with slower release of heat.
    Thanks. I just discovered their forum, reading about it now.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Yep!  This is the type of stone you'll find in traditional Neapolitan pizza ovens over in Italy.  I've seen at least one person swap out the Roccbox stone for one of these.  
  • ColtsFan
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I should NOT have started reading this thread and then visit Pizza Party's forum...I've been on the Roccbox wanting train for a while and now the Ardore

• mlc2013
    Options
     I’m trying to get my neighbor to buy either Thr Rocco or the oony so I can’t compare the two 
    Long Island NY    
  • HeavyG
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    HeavyG if you join the pizza party forum ask simone for discount code and hell send you code for $60.00 off
    https://www.ipizzaparty.it/search/ardore/
    Thanks, but I already have that. When you said get "the extra" I thought there might be some additional offer I missed.

• Photo Egg
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
     I’m trying to get my neighbor to buy either Thr Rocco or the oony so I can’t compare the two 
    I know it said the outside was aluminum, is the inside stainless?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I should NOT have started reading this thread and then visit Pizza Party's forum...I've been on the Roccbox wanting train for a while and now the Ardore
    Just tell the wife that if she lets you buy one of these that she can consider her Christmas shopping for you done!  
  • mlc2013
    Options
    @Photo Egg you know I didn’t even look I’ll take a peak tonight but would think it has to be stainless. 
    Long Island NY