Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT ooni Uuni Pro OT

Options

Comments

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    I just received tracking from Pizza party I should have my new oven Friday I’m super excited now I have to learn how to make pizza dough
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Put a digornio in it

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• mlc2013
    Options
    Put a digornio in it
    Now there’s something I can proudly say that I have never eaten and that is also a statement that will be in my Eulogy.  Now with that being said I have no idea if digornio is good bad amazing horrible but I never wanted a frozen pizza and will hopefully never eat a frozen pizza 
    Long Island NY    
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited October 2018
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    I just received tracking from Pizza party I should have my new oven Friday I’m super excited now I have to learn how to make pizza dough

@Stormbringer, can you provide Mr. MLC with the link to the Pizza dough...

@mlc2013 The link Stormbringer will provide is super easy and awesome. It's my weekly go to. Every Thursday night is dough making night at the TEXAS house.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• mlc2013
    Options
    @TEXASBGE2018 thank you 
    Long Island NY    
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    mlc2013 said:

@mlc2013 The link Stormbringer will provide is super easy and awesome. It's my weekly go to. Every Thursday night is dough making night at the TEXAS house.

Isn't there a bit of sugar in that dough recipe?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    mlc2013 said:

Isn't there a bit of sugar in that dough recipe?

No not at all. It's Yeast, Water, Flour and a pinch of salt if you want.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I found the link. I thought I had lost it. I have the recipe written down at home. I have had awesome results with this.

https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2018/06/29/new-and-improved-pizza-dough-recipe/

• mlc2013
    Options
     I found a few different recipes as well on ooinies website so I’ll post that when I’m in front of a computer and not on my phone 
    Long Island NY    
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I found the link. I thought I had lost it. I have the recipe written down at home. I have had awesome results with this.

Got it. I was thinking of his original recipe, which I think did have some sugar in it.

That one is pretty much right out of the Forkish book, which is fine except they're designed for lower temps than @mlc2013 will be able to get to on his new oven.  For example, it's a 75% hydration dough.  That's very high.  I'd suggest backing way off that, to something closer to 65%.  
  • mlc2013
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina  I have a lot to learn I’m assuming being that my oven burns close to 1000° I need to use a dough that has less hydration then more I should spend some time researching the differences tonight.  I have never made of pizza before this whole thing is going to be a fun learning experience 
    Long Island NY    
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    @JohnInCarolina  I have a lot to learn I’m assuming being that my oven burns close to 1000° I need to use a dough that has less hydration then more I should spend some time researching the differences tonight.  I have never made of pizza before this whole thing is going to be a fun learning experience 
    Yes.  I think you'll actually be pretty happy with your first pizza on this no matter what if my own experience is any indication.

I definitely recommend that Forkish book even though the dough recipes are for home ovens.  I just back way off the hydration (I usually go with 60%) but keep everything else the same.  With time you'll become proficient at all of the steps and then you're off to some really amazing pizza.  
  • mlc2013
    Options
    Thanks I’m looking for book now
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
    I’m assuming this is the book you speak of 
    Long Island NY    
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    I’m assuming this is the book you speak of 
    That's it.  My go-to out of there these days is the Enzo pizza dough recipe.  It's a same day recipe.   You mix it up in the morning, and then just let it rise all day out on the counter until you're ready to cook.  Like I said, the only thing I change is the hydration, going with 62% to 60% depending on the ambient humidity.  It's easy and awfully good.  It's the dough I used at Wing Ding recently at @Jeremiah's house.  
  • mlc2013
    Options
     I added it to my cart and it should be here tomorrow I’ll start reading and working on the recipe. The recipe I have requires 24 to 48 hour proof  in fridge 
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
     Ill post that when I’m home 
    Long Island NY    
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    "I have never made of pizza before this whole thing is going to be a fun learning experience "

My man. Way to jump in with both feet. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • mlc2013
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker Is there any other way?
    Long Island NY    
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    I'm sure you could turn the gas down a little and run at a slightly lower temp if needed. Would be nice to mix it up a little and slow things down and cook a 90 second pizza every once and awhile.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • mlc2013
    Options
    @Photo Egg I agree I have a lot to learn and I believe the oven has a temp control gauge so I can dial it back. I’m also going to try cauliflower pizza crust as well and I’m sure there is a whole other set of problems I’ll have to over come for that
    Long Island NY    
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options

Got it. I was thinking of his original recipe, which I think did have some sugar in it.

That one is pretty much right out of the Forkish book, which is fine except they're designed for lower temps than @mlc2013 will be able to get to on his new oven.  For example, it's a 75% hydration dough.  That's very high.  I'd suggest backing way off that, to something closer to 65%.  
    @JohnInCarolina what temps do you normally cook at? I use the 75% hydration dough at 700F. 
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

@JohnInCarolina what temps do you normally cook at? I use the 75% hydration dough at 700F. 
    I’m usually between 850 and 900F.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Honest question here, how much of a difference does baking a pizza at 700 vs 900 make? I don't know much about this so I am really curious.

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options

@JohnInCarolina interesting, I haven’t clocked the temp gauge to date. What would happen to 75% hydra action dough at that level?
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Honest question here, how much of a difference does baking a pizza at 700 vs 900 make? I don't know much about this so I am really curious.
    About 90 additional seconds.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

@JohnInCarolina interesting, I haven’t clocked the temp gauge to date. What would happen to 75% hydra action dough at that level?
    I don't know, I've never tried ultra-high hydration doughs at those temps.  It doesn't really make sense.  The higher hydrations are for lower temps where the cook times are longer, and there is more time for the crust to lose moisture.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    By the way I don't recommend trying to get up to those high temps on an Egg.  700 is about as high as I'd go cooking a pizza on a BGE.  Much higher and it's really hard to control, and you're burning through tons of lump.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    This was kind of a joke obviously.  The AVPN guide for cooking a classical Neapolitan pizza is for temps above 900.  I tend to follow that.  I've had pies cooked a couple hundred degrees cooler and they're good too, just different.  The crust tends not to be as light and airy.  But there's plenty to this that's about technique and dough recipe.  I'm sure you can get nearly that same kind of Neapolitan crust at lower temps.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    This was kind of a joke obviously.  The AVPN guide for cooking a classical Neapolitan pizza is for temps above 900.  I tend to follow that.  I've had pies cooked a couple hundred degrees cooler and they're good too, just different.  The crust tends not to be as light and airy.  But there's plenty to this that's about technique and dough recipe.  I'm sure you can get nearly that same kind of Neapolitan crust at lower temps.
    Thanks! I wasn’t really sure how much difference it makes. I have been cooking mine in the oven at around 500 lately because I didn’t care for pizza on the egg. Too much hassle for me. I eventually will get a wood fire oven like a Fontana Forni or the like but until then my oven is fine. I don’t get the super dark brown crust on top but I am pleasantly suprised with the results thus far.