Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Just voted by mail
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    HeavyG said:
    SonVolt said:
    Trying to find a high quality yet affordable water pressure gauge I can use to check the water pressure at my house? I want to raise the pressure at the street but don't want to blow my pipes. Anyone recommend one?  
    What psi does your water utility maintain in the water main at your street?

Honestly I have no idea. Is that info that I need before I make a purchase? 
    Well you don't really want to buy a gauge that reads from 0-300psi if your water utility only maintains an average pressure of 60psi.
    I suggest you give your water utility a call and ask them what sort of average pressure they try to maintain in your neighborhood (pressure will usually vary somewhat depending upon demand/time of day).
    Do you have a pressure reducing valve either at the street/meter? Depending on your water utility system you may not have a pressure reducing valve. If you don't have a PRV then there isn't much you can do to change the pressure in your house (keep in mind there is a difference between pressure and flow).

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited October 2018
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    SonVolt said:
    HeavyG said:
    SonVolt said:
    Trying to find a high quality yet affordable water pressure gauge I can use to check the water pressure at my house? I want to raise the pressure at the street but don't want to blow my pipes. Anyone recommend one?  
    What psi does your water utility maintain in the water main at your street?

Honestly I have no idea. Is that info that I need before I make a purchase? 
    Well you don't really want to buy a gauge that reads from 0-300psi if your water utility only maintains an average pressure of 60psi.
    I suggest you give your water utility a call and ask them what sort of average pressure they try to maintain in your neighborhood (pressure will usually vary somewhat depending upon demand/time of day).
    Do you have a pressure reducing valve either at the street/meter? Depending on your water utility system you may not have a pressure reducing valve. If you don't have a PRV then there isn't much you can do to change the pressure in your house (keep in mind there is a difference between pressure and flow).

I'll give them a call and see what they say. We have been on well water up until this summer, so I do know there's a 6" main line at the street that we tapped into. The new water box at the street with the gauge that they put in for us has a valve that we can turn to increase/decrease the water pressure.

My neighbor has one of his outside faucets tied in directly bypassing the reducer and it shoots out of his industrial hose like a water cannon. The hose will fly around if you're not holding onto it with a firm grip. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
     rule of thumb is 1.5 to 4x the pressure on the gage  a 150 psi gage is about right.  find a plumbers supply place, we use fw webb up here
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    how old is the plumbing in you're house,  things fail on old systems when you jack up the pressure. your old system was probably less than 30 psi, your neighbors probably running 80. my shop fluctuates between 95 and up near 105, i would not want that in my house
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I think the house was built in 1990. PVC throughout. No copper or PEX. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • BobDanger
    BobDanger Posts: 323
    Options
    Gonna do some fried wings.

Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Amazon (which doesn't really care about your feelings just your money) has a pretty good "Deal of the Day" on the Instant Pot Ultra 8 Qt at only $119.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Recovering.  Had a root canal at 11:30, 1.5-hours and $860.  Then at 3 my regular dentist prepared to top the tooth with a cap, and he saw four lengthwise cracks in my tooth.  After discussing it, I decided to have it pulled and we'll go the implant route for that tooth, too (the tooth right behind it was pulled last Xmas, and will finally be getting the artificial tooth attached next month).  
    This sucks.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Beans, cornbread and taters 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Picked up a few small diamond rocks today. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• thetrim
    Options
    BobDanger said:

Practicing for Wing Ding 4?
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    thetrim said:
    BobDanger said:

Practicing for Wing Ding 4?
    Bitterman did win this year with fried wings....
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Celebrating National Nut Day!

https://i.giphy.com/media/oboFxDrJ8krW8/giphy.mp4

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• alaskanassasin
    Options

@sonvolt I have this one from when I installed irrigation. Screws right onto garden spigot.   You can find one at a landscape supply house or use your old well pressure gauge with some ace hardware creativity. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• thetrim
    Options
    Traveling to Memphis tomorrow for a few days of work at a local Children's Hospital.  Going thru ATL, so that mean's I'll be paying Popeye's a visit.  I have a pretty long layover tomorrow afternoon.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • NC_Egghead
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I think the house was built in 1990. PVC throughout. No copper or PEX. 
    Please be careful if you have polybutylene pipes. They are not used any more but we’re used in the late 80’s, early 90’s before they were replaced by PEX. The fittings are the weak point in this system, I wouldn’t put any additional pressure into these pipes if possible. You may have a pressure regulator inside the house. If you have a shut off valve in the house, it could be located near there. Also, if you do up the pressure, be sure everyone in the house knows where the main cut off valve is and ho
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    Watching the newer Joe Rogan special in bed with a glass of whiskey.  I am a fan. Especially while drinking. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Traveling to Memphis tomorrow for a few days of work at a local Children's Hospital.  Going thru ATL, so that mean's I'll be paying Popeye's a visit.  I have a pretty long layover tomorrow afternoon.
    So do you guys not have Popeye’s in your part of the country? A big fan of both the chicken and shrimp poboy sammies....spicy that is.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SonVolt
    Options
    Watching the newer Joe Rogan special in bed with a glass of whiskey.  I am a fan. Especially while drinking. 

I was listening to his podcast with Ari on the way in to work this morning. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Currently taking a web based class on how to write estimates from books. I need a beer. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Currently taking a web based class on how to write estimates from books. I need a beer. 
    Seems backwards somehow. 
  • thetrim
    Options
    Had an interesting experience at my son’s soccer match on Sunday.  

The goalkeeper for the team they were playing told one of our kids, “touch me again, and I’ll murder your family.”    The ref only gave him a yellow card then went and told his coach what he said in an attempt to have the coach take him out. (That’s my interpretation).  

SMDH. 

Their goalie made a diving play on the ball and the kid from our team was coming at the ball at the same time.  You couldn’t even tell that the kid from our team made any contact w the goalie whatsoever.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    thetrim said:

The goalkeeper for the team they were playing told one of our kids, “touch me again, and I’ll murder your family.”    The ref only gave him a yellow card then went and told his coach what he said in an attempt to have the coach take him out. (That’s my interpretation).  

SMDH. 

Their goalie made a diving play on the ball and the kid from our team was coming at the ball at the same time.  You couldn’t even tell that the kid from our team made any contact w the goalie whatsoever.  
    Ah hail nah... That kid’s parents been talked with yet?  
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Just finished installing my tonneau cover (see previous post ...."What are you buying right now"

before

After
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I listen to his podcast quite often. He's entertaining and as level headed as they come from Hollywood. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    thetrim said:

SMDH. 

My son (15) had that type of incident happen at school last week. The kid told a group that he would murder all of them if they made him angry again. The teacher overheard and had a talk with him but didn't advance it any further. We had to force the issue to get the administration involved. This day and age I feel like it has to be. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA