Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hurricane Michael

Options

Comments

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,655
    Options
    Here is a bit of irony - I’m supposed to go Destin Saturday got this in a fortune cookie at a Chinese restaurant tonight. 

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,246
    Options
    Here is a bit of irony - I’m supposed to go Destin Saturday got this in a fortune cookie at a Chinese restaurant tonight. 

The weather is usually great after a big storm. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    And there are plenty of sunny shores to visit that aren't in the gulf.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    I think we are going to head home in the morning early. I got a buddy of mine who’s staying in Fort Walton area and he planning on riding it out. He’s on vacation not a resident. More brave than I. 
    We made the mistake of staying a few years back for a CAT1 - won't do that again if I can help it. In hindsight it was stupidity not bravery. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    I think we are going to head home in the morning early. I got a buddy of mine who’s staying in Fort Walton area and he planning on riding it out. He’s on vacation not a resident. More brave than I. 
    We made the mistake of staying a few years back for a CAT1 - won't do that again if I can help it. In hindsight it was stupidity not bravery. 
    Cat one on the mainland is doable.  Perhaps a couple days without power.  Cat 3 on the shore or an island, ridiculous to stay.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,555
    Options
    Cat 1 in Kentucky was quite an issue.  Got the backside of Ike in fall 2007 and without power for 8 + days.  That was 75 mph wind damage for a few hours.
    Don't mess with Mother Nature- If in doubt leave, if not in doubt leave anyway if on the track.
    BTW- was just north of Jacksonville Sep 2017 when Irma was headed in.  Storm was predicted to hit south Florida on Sunday-scheduled to head north Friday AM- left town at 5 AM to all 3 North bound lanes of I-95 bumper to bumper well into SC and then I 26 west.  Traffic was hauling along at 40 MPH but did not see any gas station over-charging for the duration.
    Stay safe and alter on the side of conservative. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Cat 1 in Kentucky was quite an issue.  Got the backside of Ike in fall 2007 and without power for 8 + days.  That was 75 mph wind damage for a few hours.
    Don't mess with Mother Nature- If in doubt leave, if not in doubt leave anyway if on the track.
    BTW- was just north of Jacksonville Sep 2017 when Irma was headed in.  Storm was predicted to hit south Florida on Sunday-scheduled to head north Friday AM- left town at 5 AM to all 3 North bound lanes of I-95 bumper to bumper well into SC and then I 26 west.  Traffic was hauling along at 40 MPH but did not see any gas station over-charging for the duration.
    Stay safe and alter on the side of conservative. 
    FWIW.  FTFY cap. ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Randall_Lee
    Options
    North west side of bay from Destin fl (4 miles) we will leave with a major move to the west in the morning if still talking a 3 more to get the camper out of the way than the house.
    Niceville, Fl
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    If anyone wants a place to crash and do the New Orleans scene, let me know via PM.  You can help me prepare for Brisket Camp V (aka "slave labor" ;) ). 

I think this storm will catch some off-guard, reminds me a bit about how little warning we had for Katrina.  But much smaller.  We shall see, and I hope for minimal damage.
    Wind shear not limiting intensification as expected. Going to be stronger at landfall. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    Our home is open for anyone needing a place to ride this out.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    I'm in North Okaloosa county...  Not too concerned with the hurricane since we are on the west side.  My son is at FSU and this will be the 1st major storm since he's been gone he'll be going through.  I spoke to him about stuff to do so I think he'll be set!!! 

Good luck to any of ya'll who may be affected.  I'm just gearing up fer Talladega weekend!!!  Got the camper cleaned up and almost loaded!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Stay safe y'all.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    All the best with the plans....and be safe where ever you are. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If anyone wants a place to crash and do the New Orleans scene, let me know via PM.  You can help me prepare for Brisket Camp V (aka "slave labor" ;) ). 

I think this storm will catch some off-guard, reminds me a bit about how little warning we had for Katrina.  But much smaller.  We shall see, and I hope for minimal damage.
    Wind shear not limiting intensification as expected. Going to be stronger at landfall. 
    By "much smaller", I'm really referring to the destructive storm surge.  Katrina was a cat 5, hit as a cat 3, but the storm surge was cat 5.   At Pass Christian, the surge was 27.8 feet.  This storm will have less than half of that.

I have some friends in that area that experienced 3-story surge first hand.  Helped them clean up.   Wind may tear off some roofs and knock power out for weeks...this will not be fun.  At least it shouldn't stall over land but haul ass to the NE. 
    edited October 2018
    Options

By "much smaller", I'm really referring to the destructive storm surge.  Katrina was a cat 5, hit as a cat 3, but the storm surge was cat 5.   At Pass Christian, the surge was 27.8 feet.  This storm will have less than half of that.

I have some friends in that area that experienced 3-story surge first hand.  Helped them clean up.   Wind may tear off some roofs and knock power out for weeks...this will not be fun.  At least it shouldn't stall over land but haul ass to the NE. 
    I caught that. I meant that this storm looks to still be intensifying at landfall which will make it more dangerous than size and cat indicate. Angle of landfall will also enhance the effects of the storm surge as well. I was speaking more to your comment of catching some off guard. Not Katrina by any means but more formidable than it may seem. 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,338
    Options

You need to set this to Thriller for a sound track.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Gulfcoastguy 🔪🔪🌀😂😂😂
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,901
    Options
    Just got an email from our friends who were in Orange Beach. They are headed to Jacksonville, FL so I can stop worrying. 2nd year in three they have had to bail because of a storm. Think they should choose another state for vacation.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,246
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    Just got an email from our friends who were in Orange Beach. They are headed to Jacksonville, FL so I can stop worrying. 2nd year in three they have had to bail because of a storm. Think they should choose another state for vacation.
    My family is from that area. They’ll ride this one out like all the rest. 
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Our home is open for anyone needing a place to ride this out.
    Same here
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    :how_interesting:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    Looks like Michael is already spent

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Y'all stay safe.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Michael is now a cat 4 and the eye is tightening , still strenthening. Projected landfall in the Mexico Beach area. This one is a beast.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    I am no expert, and have zero knowledge on Hurricanes, however, the course this thing is pushing seems to be NNW.
    Anywhere this thing lands, there will be trouble 175 miles in just about every direction from the eye of this beast.
    Hoping everyone stays safe. Again if you need a place, our home will be open for you.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,371
    edited October 2018
    Options
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,149
    Options
    We’ll get the rain and wind up here in Greensboro around Thursday. 

Our best thoughts to those affected by this monster. Be safe!!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!