Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recommend me a good wine

167891012»

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited September 2018
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @yemtrey I think the St Hilaire sparkling is a great value.  for $10, you can't go wrong.  Sparkling is great as a cocktail, goes with steak or seafood, goes with dessert... hard to beat.

they often carry A to Z pinot.  it's a consistently decent bottle, around $20.  ghost pines makes a pretty solid widely distributed cab, but may not be at costco. 

try to pick up a few bottles of white and a few of red all under $20 and just see what you think you like. from there, it' s a deeeep dark rabbit hole!

another one to consider is Decoy, which Costco may have.  they run $20-25 and are solid.  part of the family of wineries behind duckhorn, paraduxx, and a few others.  
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Oh brother. Here we go again.

On a serious note, my last several bottles have been The Federalist; (the ones with the presidents on them) pretty good. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Any of the Coppola red wines are good.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • Quilt - Napa Cab. Son of chuck Wagner of caymus. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    been sipping on a bottle of warre's optima 10 year tawny for the last couple fridays, usually my first drink arriving at camp. dont ever make the mistake of buying the 20
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    been sipping on a bottle of warre's optima 10 year tawny for the last couple fridays, usually my first drink arriving at camp. dont ever make the mistake of buying the 20
    Love the Otima (there's no 'p') and I agree with you about the 10.
    NOLA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    buzd504 said:
    otima, yep.  the 20 is a little more smoother but theres no reason to go that route price wise with ports. the 10 is legit
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    buzd504 said:
    otima, yep.  the 20 is a little more smoother but theres no reason to go that route price wise with ports. the 10 is legit
    I thought it was Optima for years.
    NOLA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    It is rather difficult to recommend a particular wine at Costco in your area, due to the fact that each pretty much carries whatever they are shipped.
    We have 2 Costcos here in Louisville, and the wine selection in both stores are completely different.
    Add that to not knowing what you like, is really just a shot in the dark.
    The best way for you is to try a bottle and see if you like it.
    I am partial to reds, My Beautiful Wife likes whites, we both enjoy quality rosé wines.
    The nice thing about Costco, is almost everything they have there is of pretty decent quality, of which, I have never purchased a bottle of any varietal at Costco, that was rated beneath the 90 point threshold.
    If you will put together a list of the wines offered, I, or somebody in the forum, can tell you whether it is a worthy purchase, and may have some input on the tastings.
    Have fun.
    I always say: "The best wine I have ever had, is the wine I share with friends."
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Personally, I like me a fancy wine that pairs with tree rat.  ;)
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    https://youtu.be/jHPOzQzk9Qo

Kepping it real. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    @YEMTrey, two widely available, inexpensive wines that are universally liked that I've seen at Costco lately are pinot noirs:

Meiomi

La Crema

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I saw Joel Gott at your costco, that is a good wine. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    bgebrent said:

Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    On an Italian wine kick right now... Langhes specifically - Barolos, Barberas, Barberestcos etc.  Since they exist just outside their primary regions they are an incredible value. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    SonVolt said:
    On an Italian wine kick right now... Langhes specifically - Barolos, Barberas, Barberestcos etc.  Since they exist just outside their primary regions they are an incredible value. 
    Love Langhe nebbiolo
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Thanks all!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Come on down anytime, go through our collection, find what you like. Then buy that.
    Makes it easy...
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    YukonRon said:
    Come on down anytime, go through our collection, find what you like. Then stash it under your coat. 
    Makes it easy...
    FTFY @Jeremiah
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    YukonRon said:
    Come on down anytime, go through our collection, find what you like. Then stash it under your coat. 
    Makes it easy...
    FTFY @Jeremiah
    Don’t worry, Ron would never miss it. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow