Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recommend me a good wine

Options

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @fishlessman, how was that pinotage?
    i opened the bean, didnt notice the coffee taste they talked about online. first half glass was smokey as you mentioned. rest of the bottle went right down ;)  i can see how this would be good with bbq type foods. very dry, i liked that, not into really sweet reds. the other bottle gets opened this weekend
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @Jupiter Jim my sincere apologies. I would never intentionally insult a friend. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Do you like a dry red wine?

Lenoir, N.C.
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    If you can find it try Moss Roxx 2012- Lodi Ancient Vine Zinfandel. It is a red, not to dry, about 20-25 bucks. I get mine from a friend that works as a wine distributor. The next time we are going to be at an event together remind me and I will bring you a bottle.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    piney said:
    If you can find it try Moss Roxx 2012- Lodi Ancient Vine Zinfandel. It is a red, not to dry, about 20-25 bucks. I get mine from a friend that works as a wine distributor. The next time we are going to be at an event together remind me and I will bring you a bottle.
    If you are accepting wine recommendations from @Piney, remember he is the Miller Lite spokesperson from the great state of North Carolina
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Don't believe that lie Jim. I bet J's noise is about 2 foot long about right now.

• northGAcock
    Options
    ...and having seen my name mentioned or inferred several times on this thread....sorry late on reading....y'all can all KMA too.

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Decoy Red Blend
    Second that.  Friend just turned me onto it and it is SO much better than anything else I've had.

Normally $20-30 depending on source.  Scored two bottles of the Decoy Red Blend 2014 on sale at the local Kroger for $18 ea last night.  Worth every penny and then some.

From wine.com..

Production Notes
    Composition 52% Merlot, 22% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Petite Sirah, 8% Cabernet Franc, 8% Petit Verdot; Cooperage 10 months 100% French Oak 40% New, 60% Neutral

Winemaker Notes
    Rich and concentrated, this wine reveals lush layers of blueberry, blackberry and sweet rhubarb. Hints of caramel and toasty oak add depth and complexity, while framing the voluptuous fruit, and drawing the flavors to a long, multifaceted finish.

http://www.decoywines.com/product/2014-decoy-sonoma-county-red-wine?pageID=24492a5c-d5db-9c65-6946-e2e72d0233fd&sortBy=DisplayOrder&maxRows=12&

Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • Searat
    Searat Posts: 80
    Options
    Just had Rockwall Zin at $22 ea (had to buy 6 - darn)

2014 Zinfandel, Jesse's Vineyard, Contra Costa County

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Picked up a bottle of Truth Cab to go with tonight's boneless ribeye.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    If it's near you try this. For the price I dont think it can be beat. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,195
    Options
    Whatcha drinking tonight @Jeremiah
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    This is pretty decent for $10.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Jeremiah, NO APOLOGIES needed......... :) was just jerking your chain man. I wish I could help ya with the wine but we get the wine in a box, the Walmart brand! we like Moscato, it's a sweet wine, don't drink that much wine and it works for us. It's so damn cheep it will freeze in the freezer. Kay and I are rum and diet coke with a twist of lime every evening. That's our story from the NC Trailer Hood! :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Stags Leap Artemis Cabernet..  You buy prime beef, right?

:)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    @bgebrent and I tried to summon @Jeremiah thru the ouija board to share this. No love. 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Not a wino myself but the wife likes kendall jackson pinot noir. Ive bought cheaper and ive bought expensive, but she always likes that stuff. I just drink beer. 

Little Rock, AR

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Dont take it all so seriously. 
    https://youtu.be/xN3sX1KpPcE
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,849
    Options
    @saluki2007, there's a lot of wisdom in that song. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    @Foghorn Agreed. If you like that song I would recomend listening to his Live in Chatanooga album. Great egging/drinking album. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    This being dead stuff is getting old eh Yolk?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    Options
    If you want to drink good wine, visit YukonRon....and you will have more than your fair share. You can't finish you first pour before he has another open and breathing....PSA....don't try to Jupiter up with him.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    This being dead stuff is getting old eh Yolk?
    Kinda peaceful, but boring. 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    If you want to drink good wine, visit YukonRon....and you will have more than your fair share. You can't finish you first pour before he has another open and breathing....PSA....don't try to Jupiter up with him.
    When it's time for me to retire, "near @YukonRon" is on my short list of desirable places. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    When it's time for me to retire, "near @YukonRon" is on my short list of desirable places. 
    Not just the wine. Just a really good dude.  And best of all, still thinks I'm alive. (As far as I know)
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Not just the wine. Just a really good dude.  And best of all, still thinks I'm alive. (As far as I know)
    Definitely not just the wine. He also cooks most of my favorite meals and executes them perfectly. I'm hoping I can convince him to buy a condo in St. Augustine Beach in the same condo where I hope to retire.  

San Antonio, TX

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,195
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I heard you were chilling in Siberia @theyolksonyou

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Got a 93pt. Zin on sale for $12.  I'm pretty sure the label is turning people off. Anyway, it's a little sweet, but clean finish.  Strong plums and no smoke or pepper.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • A_Smalltown_Egg
    Options
    Look for an Argentinean wine called Clos de los Siete.  It is a collaboration of a number of families from Bordeaux using the 5 Bordeaux varietals plus Syrah (Michel Rolland may be the most well know winemaker involved) .  Since it is Argentina it is predominantly Malbec.  It is a full-bodied and delicious wine for about $20.

It is nice to see Pinotage mentioned.  It is a uniquqe and little known wine.  It seems like people either love it or hate it and there is no middle ground.  Personally I am not a fan but is cools to see people on this board going outside the box.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,495
    Options
    Another vote here for Shiraz.  I "discovered" a few nice Australian brands many years ago between $7-$9/bottle, but then everyone else did and they're now in the high-teens (still worth it, just not the value they were).  
    What's-her-name and I attended a winetasting at Epcot Center about 10 years ago, hosted by Washinton state's Chateau St. Michele.  Six glasses; the first five were either single-grape wines that they sold, or single-grape "ingredient" wines they used in their prize-winning mix, which they called a "meritage" (no idea how/if that relates to a "pinotage").  The sixth glass was that meritage, and it was mighty fine indeed (around $75/bottle at that time, too much for my blood).  Good times.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...