Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Week of Keto: Spoilers, Nobody Died

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    @Mattman3969 - great looking diamond plate banquet.  Hope this works for you.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options

About 2 years ago I went low carb after my diabetes diagnosis.  I'm down about 75 with some yet to go before I'm satisfied.  I'm hopeful to get off my meds sooner than later.

I think I've gone through more mayo in the last two years than I had in my whole life prior!  I admit I'm a bit tired of cauliflower & zucchini but I still haven't gotten my fill of steak & chicken off the Egg. 

Glencoe, Minnesota
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    steel_egg said:
    Just started Monday.  Tonight’s buffalo chicken and greens salad 

Same here. How you feeling?  New what to expect. Been off and on a few times. Already dropped a ton of water weight. Swear I hit every gas station in Pittsburgh to pee the last few days. Leg cramps and headaches yesterday. Think I got it balanced today. Feel pretty good. Bachelor party his weekend is goin to be a struggle. And I’m in charge of getting beer for the cabin. 

Nice looking plate right there. 
    Honestly it hasn’t done much for me.  I eat low carb anyway.  Body isn’t feeling any different.  I’m eating more protein than usual but no lb drop this week.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Forgot to take pictures but I roasted some cauliflower the other day and then tossed it in wing sauce and threw it under the broiler. Was fantastic. Next time I might top it with blue cheese. Nice and low carb 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @botch skip all that almond flour stuff until you get into it. To start bacon or sausage (no sugar breakfast like Wamplers) and eggs will get you where you need to go in the am. Cook all the meat on Sunday and you can have breakfast done in 5 minutes. 

I found all the fake carb and sugar stuff will taste ok after a week or two. Right out the gate it’s sub par at best. 

@CTMike get it man! I was 60 over compared when I got out of the Army 4 years ago. 25 more to go. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    So the bacon weave pizza is pretty decent. Next time I will let the weave crisp up a little more before adding the toppings. 

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    That bacon weave pizza looks tasty but man o man, between the bacon, cheese, and pepperoni that's like 5 days worth of sodium.

Of course I'm assuming that thing would be a personal (as in me, myself, and I) pizza. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• CTMike
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    That bacon weave pizza looks tasty but man o man, between the bacon, cheese, and pepperoni that's like 5 days worth of sodium.

Of course I'm assuming that thing would be a personal (as in me, myself, and I) pizza. :)
    Nah, cut it in to 6 pieces. I had 3, wife had 1, brother in law had two. It does have 1,233 mg of sodium per piece. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @CTMike I’m gonna try that Fathead pizza tomorrow I’ll let you know how the crust is. 

@HeavyG I have said that about the sodium on more recipes I have seen on this than you could imagine....but every Dr that has posted studies on this showed more positive blood and urine tests on people who add more sodium. 

My dr told me not to even look at the salt (I rarely add salt to food even cooking) and to make sure I was taking more potassium and magnesium. I guess from the amount of water you have to drink. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• CTMike
    Options
    @CTMike I’m gonna try that Fathead pizza tomorrow I’ll let you know how the crust is. 
    Definitely interested in your feedback on the Fathead crust. Pizza definitely needs to stay in the rotation. I’ve tried the cauliflower crust in the past - no beuno. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @botch skip all that almond flour stuff until you get into it. To start bacon or sausage (no sugar breakfast like Wamplers) and eggs will get you where you need to go in the am. Cook all the meat on Sunday and you can have breakfast done in 5 minutes. 

I found all the fake carb and sugar stuff will taste ok after a week or two. Right out the gate it’s sub par at best.  
    Thanks, but the ingredients have been purchased already ('cept for the "psyllium husk powder", WTF is that??).  I'm actually anxious to try it out, during my tooth issues I've taken a real liking to almond milk, and don't snack on almonds themselves until I get my new tooth and can chew on both sides of my mouth (mid-November, supposedly).  
    I don't have to worry about fake sugar as I never liked it anyway, as I mentioned.  Haven't seen/heard of "fake carb" stuff, what exactly is that?  

I can give up the bread, the rice, and the potatoes, short-term anyway.  Beer, we'll see.  But dayam, does anyone have a brand or recipe for no-carb pasta?  I will be looking for a spaghetti squash this weekend, but any other possibilities?  Thanks!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    Options

Oh, and I assume beans/legumes have a lot of carbs in them, right?  :(

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @botch there are a lot of Keto (pancakes, bread, cupcakes, loaves, bread). Most of them are garbage. I personally just lean into what you can have. I feel like it’s similar to a vegan making “chicken” like products. 

I just use the stevia for my coffee in in the morning. 

Instead of pasta I’m making chopped or spiralized zucchini and low carb pasta sauce with some type of chicken or beef. 

Its not the same. But it will get you through. 

Im trying to get to my goal weight before chili season. I will miss my beans come winter. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Mattman3969
    Options
    Night 4 - Italian Sausage n Cabbage 

Way good.   Sorry for highjacking your thread @killit_and_grillit.  

analyze adapt overcome

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Hijacking nothing @Mattman3969 I just stole that for next week!

South of Nashville, TN

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    What are you guys eating for breakfast? I'm sick of eggs.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Mattman3969
    Options

Scrambled egg fattie.   I gotta come up with something for next week

analyze adapt overcome

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @thetrim you’re telling me they studied 45-65 year olds and over 15 years some of them died?  :ohstop:

South of Nashville, TN

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    That's an interesting study. I recommend clicking through to it if you're into a little dry reading.
  • steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    Options
    Botch said:

Thanks, but the ingredients have been purchased already ('cept for the "psyllium husk powder", WTF is that??).  I'm actually anxious to try it out, during my tooth issues I've taken a real liking to almond milk, and don't snack on almonds themselves until I get my new tooth and can chew on both sides of my mouth (mid-November, supposedly).  
    I don't have to worry about fake sugar as I never liked it anyway, as I mentioned.  Haven't seen/heard of "fake carb" stuff, what exactly is that?  

I can give up the bread, the rice, and the potatoes, short-term anyway.  Beer, we'll see.  But dayam, does anyone have a brand or recipe for no-carb pasta?  I will be looking for a spaghetti squash this weekend, but any other possibilities?  Thanks!  
    I made some keto Pad Kee Mao. Used these things. Pleasantly surprised. 0 net carbs  miracle noodles are another version  trying those next  they make rice, buns, etc  
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    We did tacos last night. 

There is nothing on this planet that can replace a real corn or flour tortilla...but these were an ok substitute. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    We did tacos last night. 

There is nothing on this planet that can replace a real corn or flour tortilla...but these were an ok substitute. 
    Have you tried the low carb tortillas?  I know they aren’t he real thing but they will do in a pinch 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Another thing to keep in mind with low carb is that some folks will need to supplement fiber to keep things moving along. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • RiverBBQ
    RiverBBQ Posts: 191
    Options
    Make tortillas out of shredded cheese. Microwave or Blackstone a pile until just melted. Lay on parchment paper over a spoon between glasses. Cools to a taco shell. Easy and tasty. We been Keto since Apri 1
    You can’t get to Loganville, Ga from anywhere. You have to start somewhere else
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited August 2018
    Options

Fathead Buffalo chicken pizza with some blue cheese crumbles and jalapeños. Buffalo sauce in lieu of pizza sauce. 

Im digging this crust. It doesn’t have quite the crunch as thing crust but the Egg gets it pretty crispy. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Mattman3969
    Options
     Portobello Shroom Pizza and Spicy Raspberry Wangs 

Way damn good!!!   

analyze adapt overcome

• CTMike
    Options
    Didn’t get a photo but tonight’s dinner was sauerkraut with Conecuh Hickory sausage. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Mattman3969
    Options

Fathead Buffalo chicken pizza with some blue cheese crumbles and jalapeños. Buffalo sauce in lieu of pizza sauce. 

Im digging this crust. It doesn’t have quite the crunch as thing crust but the Egg gets it pretty crispy. 
    You got a recipe to share?   I’ve been eyeing this but haven’t decided on any type. 

analyze adapt overcome

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Mattman3969 I smoked some buffalo thighs this week and used the leftovers. 

Made some homemade buffalo sauce and tossed the chopped chicken in for a lil bit. 

I cooked the traditional fathead crust (google it. Mozzarella cream cheese almond flour white wine vin an egg and....something I forget. But it’s like the first ten recipes on google)

bake for 10 min on parchment paper. 

Toss some sauce on, chicken, mozzerella, (I added Mexican cheese blend cause I was short) and some pickled jalapeño and blue cheese crumbles. 

Toss on the Egg ar 400ish until you’re happy. 

(Directions...southern style)

South of Nashville, TN