Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Week of Keto: Spoilers, Nobody Died

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Image result for diabetes meme
    Image result for diabetes meme
    Doc told me I had diabetes. Went Low Carb High Fat and after a couple of months my A1C dropped down in the prediabetes range. Still on and cant wait for my next checkup. Fully expect the diabetes to be gone.   
    Once you have it, you have it. Never act/eat like you don't and it won't rear its ugly head, depending on genetics. Good luck!
  • BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 575
    I did keto hardcore for 18 months before slowly transitioning to a "normal" diet. I lost nearly 100 pounds, was no longer pre-diabetic, and my acid reflux went away. I gained some of the weight back when I re-introduced carbs, but not much. I was weary of processed carbs and only ate those one or two meals a week. Saved beer for the weekends only, too. 

As of late, I've steered way off course. I still eat healthier than 90% of my friends, but the weight started coming back. And I exercise a lot; I make it to the gym five days out of seven and run 20 miles week. 

My takeaways: everyone's body is different. Processed carbs are not good for mine. I gain weight more quickly than others with much worse diets when I'm eating (or drinking) bread and sugar. The super-restrictive diet that caused me to lose that weight, though, wasn't sustainable. Life's too short to only eat kale, and I love food. I was skinny but not very happy. 

I'm trying to get back to that happy middle ground now, where I'm cautious of carbs and beer while also being able to enjoy a good pizza and craft beer occasionally. 

Good luck, man. If nothing else, keto underscores the degree to which your body really is an input-output machine. You're capable of losing whatever weight you want to; keep it up if it's working. 
    WOW!! That is inspiring! I started Keto about 7-8 days ago and have lost 9 Lbs, I suspect I'm like you in regards to the carbs. I need to loose 55 Lbs.... Thanks for posting.
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • BGEChicago
    @westernbbq I haven't checked the scale but I know I've dropped that much, if just from getting my water intake stabilized and cutting calories by 2/3. 

I couldn't imagine how to cut dairy and getting all that fat in. I'm trying some new ideas but it and Ghee seem to be the supplement to MCT and coconut oil. (Also my new kiddo has a dairy allergy so my wife and I haven't been eating hardly any cheese. She quit breast feeding this week so it was like vacation!).

I say limited booze but there is a caveat to that. It says you can have vodka or whiskey, but no beer, wine, mixers, etc. We had friends over last Friday and I had 3 vodka and sodas...I woke up at 3am with the worst hangover. (and anyone who knows me would say that would typically be a light Friday night). No carbs and drinking do not mix well. 
    Yeah, I tend to agree.. I like to partake in a few Titos now and then..... after I went into Ketosis I didn't get a hangover but WOW did I get rocked, room spinning and all.... I haven't experienced that since collage and copious amounts of Hamms beer! Save $$ by drinking less AND lose weight? Yeah, sign me up!    
  • Well it’s been almost 3 weeks and I’ve dropped at least 30 lbs. and @BGEChicago dropping that liquor bill doesn’t suck, indeed. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Well it’s been almost 3 weeks and I’ve dropped at least 30 lbs. and @BGEChicago dropping that liquor bill doesn’t suck, indeed. 
    They say for every 15lbs or so you gain some "inches".  

Hung like a thimble son!  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • "Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    If you mash that fat pocket down, it'll look yuge!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    15 days, 26 lbs gone with 8 of those lbs being carb retained h2o.   doc says need a multivitamin.   fell off wagon hard this weekend   getting back on tomorrow

stay tuned.   
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,693
    KETO working here. Lost 25 in past 7 or 8 weeks and still eating my weight in protein every day and never hungry. A couple of the old Eggers are hitting it here as well: both LawnRanger and Villege Idiot are doing real well with it. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). 

• BGEChicago
    Well it’s been almost 3 weeks and I’ve dropped at least 30 lbs. and @BGEChicago dropping that liquor bill doesn’t suck, indeed. 
    Image result for nailed it gif
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    15 days, 26 lbs gone with 8 of those lbs being carb retained h2o.   doc says need a multivitamin.   fell off wagon hard this weekend   getting back on tomorrow

stay tuned.   
    How are you determining the values for water (8lbs) and body tissue/fat loss (18lbs)?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Doc told me I had diabetes. Went Low Carb High Fat and after a couple of months my A1C dropped down in the prediabetes range. Still on and cant wait for my next checkup. Fully expect the diabetes to be gone.   
    Right on, brother.  Keep it up.
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295

stay tuned.   
    Starting back as well. Been off a few months. I’ve found when I fell off the wagon it kept on going. That’s my key this time.  Fall off, get right back on. 
  • Mickey
    At my lowest weight yet eating this kind of breakfast. What a great diet. And yes that’s syrup on the bottom. And ZERO carbs. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). 

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    HeavyG said:

stay tuned.   
    How are you determining the values for water (8lbs) and body tissue/fat loss (18lbs)?
    measured gut circumference.  inches started disappearing after 8 lbs.  plus discussed with doc who said pre ketogenic carb burnoff likely got rid of water  lastly first few days I peed a lot.  didn't weigh it but noticed having to pee without drinking addl water...
  • Mickey
    This stuff makes life good!

• For me the right mindset is like this; my body is going to do what I tell it from now on, not what it wants to do. 
    Gittin' there...
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,458
    Just started Monday.  Tonight’s buffalo chicken and greens salad 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • BGEChicago
    Oh Man that looks good! Another great dinner idea, I love this thread...
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited August 2018

Looks good @mattman3969 keep those meals easy week 1. And make some bone broth if you can. Helps with the transition from carb fuel to fat fuel. And hydrate like a SOB. (Mio with electrolytes and a vitamin helps)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Avocado with jalapeño pimento cheese and bacon may be my new favorite food. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,033
    edited August 2018
    I read up a bit on the "plant paradox" theories and diet, then a couple days ago on this Keto stuff.  Thinking about starting this weekend.  
    The first googlez article that came up, I read and as soon as I hit the page on what NOT to eat (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, and beer) I fell into a fetal position and wept for 5 hours or so.  But, this damn belly HAS to go, so I'm willing to give it a try.  I found a keto recipe for breakfast biscuits to start, and it required 1.5 cups of "almond flour".  Esspensive!  But, I can try that for workdays and stick to my bacon/eggs/cheese breakfasts on the weekends, and we'll see what happens for lunches.  
    At least I don't have to worry about sugar withdrawals, I haven't touched the stuff (except for a few small chocolates) since boot camp in '80.  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,446
    Jacksonville FL
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Botch said:
    I read up a bit on the "plant paradox" theories and diet, then a couple days ago on this Keto stuff.  Thinking about starting this weekend.  
    The first googlez article that came up, I read and as soon as I hit the page on what NOT to eat (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, and beer) I fell into a fetal position and wept for 5 hours or so.  But, this damn belly HAS to go, so I'm willing to give it a try.  I found a keto recipe for breakfast biscuits to start, and it required 1.5 cups of "almond flour".  Esspensive!  But, I can try that for workdays and stick to my bacon/eggs/cheese breakfasts on the weekends, and we'll see what happens for lunches.  
    At least I don't have to worry about sugar withdrawals, I haven't touched the stuff (except for a few small chocolates) since boot camp in '80.  
    Forget all the fad diets.

Pollan's maxim - "Eat food, mostly plants, not too much." is all we need to know.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,033
    HeavyG said:
    Forget all the fad diets.

Pollan's maxim - "Eat food, mostly plants, not too much." is all we need to know.
    Yeah, I tried that one, too.  Mr. Pollan came to visit me (I was actually eating pollen!) and my shirt button took out his left eye.  I felt bad.  :D

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,049
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,351
    edited August 2018
    My son has been doing keto off and on for the last few months, and has lost 30 lbs. Myself I weighed 195 in 2012, not bad for being 6’ 2.  Today I weigh 254.6, not good at all. 

So this mornings breakfast was scrambled eggs with cheese and bacon mixed in. Lunch just now was 3 lettuce rolls with tuna, mayo, mustard, dill pickles, celery, and onion. Tonight’s dinner will be this:

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a22688640/bacon-weave-pizza-recipe/

Not a bad start for a so called diet. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295

Same here. How you feeling?  New what to expect. Been off and on a few times. Already dropped a ton of water weight. Swear I hit every gas station in Pittsburgh to pee the last few days. Leg cramps and headaches yesterday. Think I got it balanced today. Feel pretty good. Bachelor party his weekend is goin to be a struggle. And I’m in charge of getting beer for the cabin. 

Nice looking plate right there.