Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Ping SGH - a shaver for you? :OT

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
yo @SGH - today I was reading one of my wood working mags and ran across this article. Immediately I thought of you and how hairy you are that maybe a two handed shaver could take over the larger patches of manscaping you do twice daily! Think it might work?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    :rofl: :rofl::rofl:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    edited August 2018
    Options
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Now that is a first serve winner.  Return serve will be...
    Very well played @RRP
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @RRP
    I love it brother. But I love the Mühle R41 even more. 

The Muhle is truly an incredible sight. It’s not just a razor. It’s an unrivaled shaving machine to be revered and respected. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Ron, your timing with this thread was almost perfect. Look what Amazon Prime just delivered. 
    A box full of shaving and grooming goodies. 

For the hair. A fine putty. 

For the great shave. Simply an outstanding combo of soap and aftershave. Tabac is an icon and classic in the shaving/barber world.  

No shave is complete without a great brush. Thought I would try out a couple of Boar Brushes. Two classic boars. 

Ron, I know what you are thinking now. You are wondering how about blades. Well, wonder no more my wooly friend. I have it covered. A large pack of the legendary and gold standard blades. Feather, the epitome of blades. 

Two giant icons of the shaving world flanking one another. 

I have another delivery scheduled for Friday. It should have a few classics as well. Until then, shave on my wooly friend.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @RRP
    Ron, even though I have hung up the Muhle R41 until New Years, I thought I would get in a little lathering practice just to stay on top of the game. 
    With that said, I thought I would take a shot at lathering Williams puck soap. It’s said to be near impossible to produce an actual lather with it. I’m not talking about simply going from puck to face, but an actual lather. 
    I started off as already mentioned with 99 cent Willams soap. 

From there, into a mug. In this case, a simple coffee mug. No fancy shaving mug or scuttle. A simple dollar store coffee mug/cup. 
    Right into the mug. 

Due to what I have heard and know about Williams, I thought I would give it every chance by blooming it with hot water. You may or may not consider this cheating, but being a professional latherer, I consider it using tools of the trade.  
    Hot water right into the mug for a 2 minute bloom.  

After the bloom, I did about a 2 minute soap load on the Badger Brush. I know this seems like an excessive soap load, but again, I’m trying to give Williams every possible chance.  
    Soap in the brush after loading. 

Here is a look at the lather “on the puck” and “on the brush after brush/soap loading. 

The above puck and brush lather is what is normally used to “face lather” when using the puck method. However I wanted to really put Williams to the test and see if it could produce a “true lather” like most quality shaving soaps. 
    With that said, right into the lathering bowl I went. 

As you can plainly see, the Williams is extremely airy and bubbly. That’s not a good thing. However after several minutes of water loading and a brisk working, it produced a decent lather. 
    Lather in the bowl. 

Lather on the puck. 

Lather on the brush. 

A shot of the lather on the puck, in the bowl and on the brush. 

As you can see, the Williams produced a decent lather. However it lacks the cushion, hold and massive peaks of say Tabac or Taylor Of Old Bond Street. 
    My final thoughts are as follows. Williams can no doubt be lathered, which goes against what is commonly said or believed. However the end does not justify the means. With a 2 minute soap load and a 6-8 minute lather work time, it’s just to little for to much. But with that said, it’s nice to know that you can produce a decent lather with a soap that cost less than a dollar if you are willing to put in the work. 

Status- Standing by.

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    I can’t use those Feather Blades. They literally remove a layer of skin off of my face. Nice haul of gear you got in the mail tho! 
  • SGH
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    I can’t use those Feather Blades. They literally remove a layer of skin off of my face. Nice haul of gear you got in the mail tho! 
    My brother, you can use the Feather blades, you just have to work your way up to them. Start with a reasonably sharp blade such as Gillette 7oclock and use them for a week or two. Then move to a sharper blade such as Astra. Use it for a week or two and then move to the Feathers. You face will slowly “shave in” for lack of a better term.  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    What razor are you using if I may ask?

Status- Standing by.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @SGH

While I like a good lather and all that jazz, I’ve always found that a base coat of hair conditioner before the application of any shaving cream helps keep things slick and greatly minimizes razor burn. I know, I know.... sacrilege. 

I once told this to a lady friend and she has since said it worked wonders for her nether regions. I think you could say that the technique earned her double seal of approval.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Between now and "Ron, even though I have hung up the Muhle R41 until New Years, I thought I would get in a little lathering practice just to stay on top of the game" I'm sure your skill-set can decline, especially with those sensitive places.
    @SGH - I am anticipating a ladder-up the shave skill set tutorial here once you decide to get back into the game.  Especially when using that @RRP endorsed double-handled initial cutting rig.  =)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    Options
    @SGH

While I like a good lather and all that jazz, I’ve always found that a base coat of hair conditioner before the application of any shaving cream helps keep things slick and greatly minimizes razor burn. I know, I know.... sacrilege. 

I once told this to a lady friend and she has since said it worked wonders for her nether regions. I think you could say that the technique earned her double seal of approval.  
    There is nothing wrong with that at all. I always recommend to folks to use Cremo (it’s a latherless cream) in place of high dollar preshave oil. It serves the same purpose at 1/10 the price.  As long as the conditioner that you use stays slick, no harm no foul whatsoever. If it works, it works is the way I see it.  
    For the record, here is the Cremo that I use before applying a lather.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @SGH - I am anticipating a ladder-up the shave skill set tutorial here once you decide to get back into the game.  Especially when using that @RRP endorsed double-handled initial cutting rig.  =)

Remember this date brother Cap. 1-2-2019. The greatest shave that you have ever seen is coming. I’m going to shave my chest and a 5 month old beard my friend. And going to do it all with a vintage Clauss 5406 my friend. I may even video it.  

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SGH said:
    lousubcap said:

Remember this date brother Cap. 1-2-2019. The greatest shave that you have ever seen is coming. I’m going to shave my chest and a 5 month old beard my friend. And going to do it all with a vintage Clauss 5406 my friend. I may even video it.  
    By then you will look like Santa Claus, that is if you bleach your beard white, which I hope you do.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    lousubcap said:

By then you will look like Santa Claus, that is if you bleach your beard white, which I hope you do.
    Sadly I don’t have to bleach it brother D. It’s pretty darn white, along with the hair on my head at this point.  

Status- Standing by.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @sgh can you tell what type of razor might have done this fine hair removal?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    Options
    @sgh can you tell what type of razor might have done this fine hair removal?

Looking at how red and burnt it looks I would put my money on a cheap disposable. Just a educated guess though. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Honest question, which bowl looks the best in y’all s opinion?

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    Options
    @SGH To be honest, to me, they look like they are all the same bowl to my untrained eye. That said, I like this shot the best.

Hope your knees continue to improve, missed you a week and a half ago or so. Me and that long haired liberal hippy had a blast. But hey, when you can catch a flight on Tay Tay's private jet, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @DMW
    If you look close, one has a flared edge, one has a rolled edge, one has no edge. Also one has no edge and is not hammer finished. The other 3 all have hammered finishes. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options

DMW said:
    Hope your knees continue to improve
    Thank you brother. And I do too. It’s been a real rough go. 

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    Options
    SGH said:
    @DMW
    If you look close, one has a flared edge, one has a rolled edge, one has no edge. Also one has no edge and is not hammer finished. The other 3 all have hammered finishes. 
    You are right. Not sure how I missed those details. That said, this one is still my favorite.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    Not sure how I missed those details. 
    Maybe alcohol =)

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    Options
    SGH said:
    DMW said:
    Not sure how I missed those details. 
    Maybe alcohol =)
    Well, that's one option. But you could also ascribe it to water. That would be incorrect, but you could. Just saying...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    SGH said:
    ColbyLang said:
    What razor are you using if I may ask?
    Using a Muhle R89. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    Ron, even though I have hung up the Muhle R41 until New Years, I thought I would get in a little lathering practice just to stay on top of the game. 
    With that said, I thought I would take a shot at lathering Williams puck soap. It’s said to be near impossible to produce an actual lather with it. I’m not talking about simply going from puck to face, but an actual lather. 
    I started off as already mentioned with 99 cent Willams soap. 

From there, into a mug. In this case, a simple coffee mug. No fancy shaving mug or scuttle. A simple dollar store coffee mug/cup. 
    Right into the mug. 

Due to what I have heard and know about Williams, I thought I would give it every chance by blooming it with hot water. You may or may not consider this cheating, but being a professional latherer, I consider it using tools of the trade.  
    Hot water right into the mug for a 2 minute bloom.  

After the bloom, I did about a 2 minute soap load on the Badger Brush. I know this seems like an excessive soap load, but again, I’m trying to give Williams every possible chance.  
    Soap in the brush after loading. 

Here is a look at the lather “on the puck” and “on the brush after brush/soap loading. 

The above puck and brush lather is what is normally used to “face lather” when using the puck method. However I wanted to really put Williams to the test and see if it could produce a “true lather” like most quality shaving soaps. 
    With that said, right into the lathering bowl I went. 

As you can plainly see, the Williams is extremely airy and bubbly. That’s not a good thing. However after several minutes of water loading and a brisk working, it produced a decent lather. 
    Lather in the bowl. 

Lather on the puck. 

Lather on the brush. 

A shot of the lather on the puck, in the bowl and on the brush. 

As you can see, the Williams produced a decent lather. However it lacks the cushion, hold and massive peaks of say Tabac or Taylor Of Old Bond Street. 
    My final thoughts are as follows. Williams can no doubt be lathered, which goes against what is commonly said or believed. However the end does not justify the means. With a 2 minute soap load and a 6-8 minute lather work time, it’s just to little for to much. But with that said, it’s nice to know that you can produce a decent lather with a soap that cost less than a dollar if you are willing to put in the work. 
    i must be a miser with lather, i get 3 years off a mitchels woolfat puck =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @sgh the bowl with the lip is nicer imo.  EDIT:  rolled lip by flaired.

Why do you prefer a bowled lather vs a face lather?  Or was it just for the sake of demonstrating?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 839
    Options
    Was inspired by your comments on the Merkur Futur and it arrived yesterday.  Been using a 34c and an omega boars brush for at least 5 years.  The boars brush once broke in is great for soap shaving.  First shave with the futur was solid.  Working my way into the aggressiveness and started with silver blues so I didn’t shed too much blood.  Feathers will come later.......
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    i kept it simple =)

wacker blade with  buffalo handle, sometimes you have to sacrifice a buffalo

moss scuttle with a gas fired waterfall glaze and a german shavemac silvertip

tony miller heirloom strop, black side is steer, other side is horse

belgian blue/yellow coticule

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Why do you prefer a bowled lather vs a face lather?  Or was it just for the sake of demonstrating?
    For this Williams test I used a bowl to give the Williams every chance of producing a  big, heavy lather. You can build different styles of lather in a bowl where on your face you are much more limited.  Williams is actually intended to be used for face lathering. Right from the puck to the face. I was just trying to see if I could take a 99 cent soap and produce a lather on par with soaps costing 10 to 20 more than that. 
    I do prefer bowl or scuttle lathering over face lathering for shaving. Why? Several reasons for me. First, it’s almost ritualistic and I really enjoy every aspect of it. It starts with the blooming of the soap, then the soap loading, then the lather building and working. 
    Second, I like to build different lathers. I play around with different uberlathers, superlathers and even straight lathers. At times I like to see how far I can push a lather before it “breaks” just to see what soap has the highest breaking point. 
    Third, I like to combine soaps depending on what I’m shaving with that day. This is much easier and far more convenient in a bowl versus trying it on your face. 
    Fourth, it’s how I started out and what I learned first. It’s hard to break old habits. 
    With all of the above said, I’m not against face lathering. Quite the contrary. I sneak in a puck/face lather once or twice a week myself.  Especially if I’m in a hurry or pushed for time. But I do prefer and enjoy a bowl or scuttle lather more for the reasons mentioned above.  
    I keep a few mugs and puck scuttles on hand at all times so I can puck/face lather if I chose to. Here are a couple of my puck set ups. 
    First, an empty Tabac soap dish. It’s made of glass so it makes an excellent holder for pucks. 

Second, an actual puck scuttle. 

Third, a simple coffee mug with a flared top. It’s great for pucks.  

Fourth, a medium size Bill Bowl. It’s great for pucks or just straight lathering.  

This pic posted out of order. It’s the same puck scuttle as above.  

Hope this helps my friend. And happy shaving.  

Status- Standing by.