Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire roasted egged salsa tonite. wow

this is like chevys recipe that you find online but not exact. I got all organic stuff with exception of the vidalia onion but look at the picts.  this stuff is addictive and it'll be better tomorrow.

here are the ingredients:
24 on vine tomatoes
6 Anaheim green chiles
4 pasilla chiles
3 jalapenos
1 vidalia onion
6 garlic cloves
1 red bell pepper
1/2 c white vinegar
4 tbsp salt
2 tbsp black pepper
1 bunch fresh cilantro chopped

roast all items except cilantro and peel and coarsely chop.  tomatoes just need to be peeled and remove the core with scissors. 

I roasted over mesquite charcoal

put peeled and roasted ingredients in a bowl, add salt, pepper and vinegar and use immersion blender to knock down the bigger pieces.  then add cilantro and mix with immersion blender by using short pulses.   

un freaking real how good this stuff is....

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Love fire roasted salsa-never have tried that recipe.  Thanks for posting and that's a load of salsa right there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Roasted salsa is always a winner. I’m sure it was delicious. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    edited July 2018
    edit - I figured it out..

@westernbbq When you say core the tomatoes with scissors, is that like coring an apple?

This sounds like a perfect project for today, heading to the store now.  Thank you for sharing!

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    @smbishop

After peeling the tomatoes, i made a triangle shaped cut around the stem attachment about .25" deep and  got the toughest part out .what was left over was made into salsa by the bamix handheld

Awesome on eggs this AM.  Wow
  • smbishop
    @smbishop

After peeling the tomatoes, i made a triangle shaped cut around the stem attachment about .25" deep and  got the toughest part out .what was left over was made into salsa by the bamix handheld

Awesome on eggs this AM.  Wow
    Thank you!  Substituting mild Hatch for Anaheim using dried pasilla's, will soak in hot water for 30 minutes.  It is all I could find.  Making 1/2 a batch.  Hope it all works out!

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • smbishop
    @westernbbq And it turned out absolutely perfect.  Thanks again for sharing!

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Wow - both these cooks look awesome. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Yes.  Wow.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• rowmsu
    rowmsu Posts: 58
    Now we are talking. This makes me so hungry. I want to put it on everything. 
    Washington, DC  

1- LBGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    :heart: 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • westernbbq
    edited July 2018
    @smbishop, in the first ever big green egg  salsa challenge, you win for color, texture, appearance, balance and flavor
    Looks awesome

Plus one other benefit of this stuff is that it is super healthy.   Stay away from the chips, but put it on eggs, chicken, steak, or in tacos of any kind.  Thisll go well with fish too.
  • smbishop
    edited July 2018
    @westernbbq I didn't tell my daughter about the recipe, her first response, "This tastes like Chuy's!"  Gave some to a friend and her husband.  They both raved about the layers of flavors.  

Thank you again for sharing the recipe.  It is definitely a keeper!
  • westernbbq
    You bet.   I know veggies and chiles could be roasted over any type of flame but the flavor i get from lump wood charcoal on these ingredients is sublime.   Not overly smoky, and i use mesquite which definitely gives a southwest flavor.  This was sort of an on the fly adaptation of what i could recall from memory of the chevys fire roasted salsa recipe i read online.   Good stuff.

The bge helps the salsa maker to have a controlled heat, good convection and even cooking process while imparting a not overly smoky flavor to the roasted ingredients.   Im on a healthy eating program now so im looking for ways to enhance the flavor of the foods i love which are on my program.  Salsa is definitely a lifesaver for me while on the low carb program

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    What's a good roasting temp for this? I assume 350-400 degrees and a raised grid?
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Thanks for this weekends inspiration!

• westernbbq
    minniemoh said:
    What's a good roasting temp for this? I assume 350-400 degrees and a raised grid?
    Believe it or not but I was rockin' the chiles, onions, garlic, and red pepper at 500 on raised cgs setup on my L. The rig extender was also used.  Then as coals dissipated a little and the temp settled in around 400 I put the tomatoes on.  cooked them until the skins split and that flesh picked up some subtle mesquitey goodness.  

muy sabrosas!
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    That looks terrific. Bookmarking this one and can't wait to try it. Great work, and thanks for sharing.
    Stillwater, MN
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    That looks awesome! Definitely on the to do list. Thanks for posting.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• westernbbq
    You bet guys
    Salsa revolution!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Saw this on the iPhone last night and had to return on the big monitor to take it in properly. I leave you with this:

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Question, I couldn't find pasilla peppers but have 2 extra Anaheim, not certain of the heat values of each, will this still be close to as good as what others are reporting?  Soon to fire up the grill now.  Thanks. 
  • smbishop
    edited August 2018
    I used dried pasilla peppers, soakeked for 30 minutes in hot water after removing seeds.  I think it gave mine the darker color.  That being said, I am sure it will taste great with what ever you substitute!  I sealed everything in zip lock bags for 40 minutes before removing skin...

good luck!
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    When I read your post I knew it was a must try!  Thanks for the idea.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• westernbbq
    Moleman said:
    Question, I couldn't find pasilla peppers but have 2 extra Anaheim, not certain of the heat values of each, will this still be close to as good as what others are reporting?  Soon to fire up the grill now.  Thanks. 
    Those will work just fine
    Hatch chile season is upon us so we will be seeing a ton of peppers to roast....looking forward to it!
  • I made this yester day.   Fantastic.   Better than fantastic.   My family and neighbors are wanting more.....
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,716
    This looks like a great recipe!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Yum
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    @westernbbq  I made the mistake of sharing this with a few friends.  I have now made it 4 times in as many weeks, and still have orders coming in!  I love this forum.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Must. Try. This. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!