Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire roasted egged salsa tonite. wow

Options
2»

Comments

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options
    yes, awesome. I was actually thinking of making a real hot batch with some habaneros or something similar, straining it, adding a bit of xanthan gum and bottling it for some smoky hot sauce
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    @bucky925, I made some yesterday for the week and used NM hatch chiles as they are in every produce section around here.   kicked up the heat a bit and this stuff is incredible.  plus it's super healthy too
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I have neighbors and friends bringing me tomatoes and asking for more and more.  I just finished another batch for distribution .  It may well be the best batch I have made to date.  The only difference was I left the veggies on the grill longer.   Oh and added more home grown hot peppers. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• milesvdustin
    Options
    Could you throw it all in a blendtec and puree the hell out of it or would it get real runny? 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• westernbbq
    Options
    Could you throw it all in a blendtec and puree the hell out of it or would it get real runny? 
    You'd be ok. I do like some larger pieces of chiles onions and tomatoes versus a smooth puree so I use immersion blender....
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Moleman said:
    Question, I couldn't find pasilla peppers but have 2 extra Anaheim, not certain of the heat values of each, will this still be close to as good as what others are reporting?  Soon to fire up the grill now.  Thanks. 
    Those will work just fine
    Hatch chile season is upon us so we will be seeing a ton of peppers to roast....looking forward to it!
    I'm in the Deep South and I've never heard of Padilla or Anaheim.  some one should do a primer on here for peppers. What substitutes well for other peppers. With seeds or seeds removed. Which ones are hottest etc.

Kids and I love salsa but the wife is a wimp on the heat. Kids could eat fire and I'm somewhere between those two extremes. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• westernbbq
    Options
    @StJohnsEgger:  on the below pict from my L when i made my first of THREE batches, the dark green triangular shaped peppers are Pasilla, not Padilla. They have a light almost sweet flavor raw and this intensifies to a mild to medium heat when roasted over fire.  The light green ones are Anaheim or your traditional green chiles.  These too kick up the heat when you roast them.  Delicious. If they were a little darker green they'd be New Mexico Hatch Chiles and those get moderate heat levels when roasted.

The little mini torpedos on the bottom are jalapenos which are really hot raw but the heat mellows out when you roast them.  and the red guy up top is a red bell pepper.

There are scotch bonnet and habaneros that you don't want to touch unless you have a severe head cold/sinus infection.  

There was a guy on TV here 15 or so years ago named Mad Coyote Joe. The guy was a genius gringo authentic Mexican food chef.  Had a cooking show on saturdays on TV 15. Had a spice company and cooked in some restaurants in Scottsdale.  Don't know where he is now but i have two of his cookbooks- one is called the Gringo's Guide to Authentic Mexican Cooking and the other was called Mad Coyote Joe's Southwestern Cookbook.  These two gems have taught me a ton about peppers, flavor combos, homemade mexican hot chocolate that is ridiculous and homemade enchilada sauce.

Mad Coyote Joe.  

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I wonder how any of those I can find locally in NE FL
    MiniMax 04/17

• westernbbq
    Options
    I wonder how any of those I can find locally in NE FL
    Check produce section esp at a Mexican grocery store.   I can't imagine in an agricultural rich area like yours that these aren't grown or imported
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Lots of Mexican restaurants around here and a few groceries. I'll just have to make a few trips and keep looking until I find them. Big local farmer's market down town that has been around for 75 years or so. Lots of Mexicans selling produce there. Maybe they will have them.
    MiniMax 04/17

• westernbbq
    Options
    youll find the peppers in several spots...post salsa results here when you make it

dead simple, awesome flavor, appeals to just about everyone and it is super healthy
  • 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    Options
    Never roasted any veggies before.  When do I know when to pull from the egg?  When skin splits?
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • westernbbq
    Options
    1WVU said:
    Never roasted any veggies before.  When do I know when to pull from the egg?  When skin splits?
    Char em up on the outside. Not too much.  Wrap in foil and then the skin pulls away from flesh.  
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    1WVU said:
    Char em up on the outside. Not too much.  Wrap in foil and then the skin pulls away from flesh.  
    I put them directly on hot coals, caveman style (I do it in the pizza oven but you could do it in the BGE too).  I typically drop them in a plastic ziploc bag to steam which helps the skin pull away - do you find that foil works better?
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Made another batch tonight. Its awesome. 
  • ArvadaMan
    ArvadaMan Posts: 260
    Options
    What?   No garlic????
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • ArvadaMan
    ArvadaMan Posts: 260
    Options
    Oops.  My mistake.   I see it now in the picture.  I am surprised it is not listed as a recipe ingredient.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    My recipe was just grabbing groceries. I forgot limes tho. That was a big miss. 
  • slick_rick
    slick_rick Posts: 55
    Options

Have had this thread saved and was thinking about giving this a shot for a Cinco de Mayo party today.

Never done salsa on the egg but it seems like the consensus here is hot (400-500 temp) direct? How long should I expect to leave the veggies on?

I see people mentioning peeling the skin off the tomatoes, but what about all of the peppers? Should I be peeling the skin off those as well?

MED - Manhattan
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options

I’ll let someone else opine for time and temp on the egg, but I do char and peel all veggies. I’m not that easy-going with weird textures (like rolled up skin) in salsa, but some folks don’t peel anything and just purée it all

DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • westernbbq
    Options

Cbeck out first post in this thread....6 cloves garlic. Or just roast an entire head

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Made this today:

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    smbishop said:
    Made this today:

Yum!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on wrapping in foil to help removing the skins
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • CPARKTX2
    CPARKTX2 Posts: 222
    Options