Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Merkur and the Muhle.

2»

Comments

• Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    If for a beginner, I would suggest starting out with an Edwin Jagger DE8.  Nice balance and won't break the bank.

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    RedSkip said:
    @SGH I've always heard a "slant" is the best shave you can get.  Over the open/closed comb... just sayin'.
    A slant is a great design. Certainly more aggressive than a closed comb. However a slant offers nothing over a open comb, especially one with a wide blade gap. 
    With that said, I’m sure that there are people who prefer a slant. That’s why they manufacture them. There are people that like them and as such they buy them. 
    Everyones face is not the same shape and size. Everyone’s facial hair is not the same. It’s these two factors more than anything else that will determine what style of razor feels or works best for you. 
    However, with all the above said, the R41 in trained hands will give as close of a shave as possible with a DE. Nothing will do better for closeness. Is there a few that may equal it? Possibly in the right hand. But none will surpass it. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    SGH said:
    RedSkip said:
    @SGH I've always heard a "slant" is the best shave you can get.  Over the open/closed comb... just sayin'.
    A slant is a great design. Certainly more aggressive than a closed comb. However a slant offers nothing over a open comb, especially one with a wide blade gap. 
    With that said, I’m sure that there are people who prefer a slant. That’s why they manufacture them. There are people that like them and as such they buy them. 
    Everyones face is not the same shape and size. Everyone’s facial hair is not the same. It’s these two factors more than anything else that will determine what style of razor feels or works best for you. 
    However, with all the above said, the R41 in trained hands will give as close of a shave as possible with a DE. Nothing will do better for closeness. Is there a few that may equal it? Possibly in the right hand. But none will surpass it. 
    Good stuff!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    edited July 2018
    SGH said:
    Here is two of the greatest DE razors currently being manufactured today. If you are really wanting to take your shaving game to the highest level possible without transitioning to a straight, then look no farther.  
    First up, the Merkur Futur adjustable. Some call it the “future” of shaving. 
    The Futur on the left flanking the R41. 

The Futur is an adjustable razor. It can be dialed up and down to fit your shaving style and needs. On its lowest setting it is a very mild razor. However with a simple turn of the dial it can be turned up to be pretty darn aggressive. Not quite in the same league as the wicked Muhle, but still more aggressive than most will ever need. 
    It is a very large and heavy razor. But it’s balance is near perfect. As far as quality materials and assembly, the Futur is as well built as any. 
    A close up of the head. 

If you are an experienced wet shaver and want to reach the epitome of shaving, or if you are just a brave soul looking for a challenge, well look no farther my friends, the Muhle R41 has you covered. 
    With its open comb design and wicked blade exposure and gap, it is simply a wrecking machine. A blood bath in waiting for the inexperienced or careless shaver. 
    However in experienced  hands, due to its wicked blade exposure and gap, the mighty Muhle can easily approach the shaving closeness of a straight razor. 
    Like the Futur, the R41 is an extremely well built machine.  Balance is near perfect. It’s a cats whisker smaller and lighter than the Futur. 
    A close up of the wicked R41. 

With all of the above said, in no way is the R41 for novices or beginners. It is simply to aggressive. When loaded with a Feather blade, it’s a blood bath waiting to happen in inexperienced hands. 
    However in a trained and skilled hand, the R41 will bring you as close to a straight shave as you are going to get. The Muhle R41 stands at the top of the food chain. It is the pinnacle and Holy Grail of DE razors. It is simply unchallenged and reins supreme in the world of DE shaving. Once you master the Muhle, you will be hard pressed to do any better short of a straight.  
    One word of advice, if you try the R41, use the slickest soap that you can find. It won’t be a bad idea to use a preshave oil as well until you get use to its aggressiveness. 
    I hope that y’all enjoyed a look at these two shaving machines my friends. Have a great day and shave on. 
    I had a Merkur...The only thing it shaved was time from my commute.

XL BGE
    MD
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited July 2018
    @SGH - you are the embodiment of the Oscar Wilde quote:

"Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess"

Well done sir.

Cheers to a life well-lived.

• ColtsFan said:
    I still use my Merkur 34C. I'm not skilled enough for them there fancier ones :)

I also shave my head, so I'm stuck in the Fusion/Gillette club for good when it comes to my noggin'
    No Headblade?
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    jeffwit said:

I’m leveling and resurfacing my deck. I’ve found the Ridgid impact driver to be indispensable to the success of this project. There are other impact drivers out there, but none approaches the quality of Ridgid. And it’s a lovely shade of orange. 

Man, tried to troll the troll and got nowhere. I guess that’s what happens when you go against the master. Well played, @sgh, well played. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I may be old and naive regarding all the nuances and skill sets required to get a great shave as I am quite happy in my current world.  But l thoroughly enjoy the opportunity to read about all the options out there and all I have to do is roll up into the BGE forum.  
    The knowledge across the spectrum of subjects that routinely get serious play here is most entertaining.  Fortunately I think I have conquered the impulse buys that are always in play but one never knows.  Keep it up.
    And I am not into the Muhle buy attraction.  However, tomorrow is another day.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    ColtsFan said:

I also shave my head, so I'm stuck in the Fusion/Gillette club for good when it comes to my noggin'
    No Headblade?
    I have no clue regarding the high skill-set and tech knowledge regarding face and perhaps other body parts shaving but I personally can attest to the functionality and ease of use with the Headblade rig.  Definitely takes the worry out of being "close" and does a great job with minimal dexterity required.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    ColtsFan said:
    I still use my Merkur 34C. I'm not skilled enough for them there fancier ones :)

No Headblade?
    I used to have one. Just prefer the feel of a traditional multiblade
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    I made the switch to DE safety razors a few years ago.  Started with a cheap Parker closed comb.  Once I got the technique down, switched to the R41 with Feather blades and the rest is history.  Like has been said, the R41 is not for a newbie.  When I switched over to it there were more than a few times when I got careless and I had cuts and razor burns all over.  The key for me has been proper prep and making multiple passes with very little pressure. I have a slant bar as well but don't see any benefit over the open comb Muhl.  

Essentially - I fill sink with hot water.  Use a washcloth to wet my face to soften the hair.  Then I use a little facial scrub to exfoliate.  Back to the very warm water with the washcloth to rinse.  Apply a dab of pre-shave oil then lather with brush.  Make one pass with the grain.  Wet face.  Re-lather and then make a pass cross grain.  Wet face and re-lather.  Make pass against grain.  

Finish by rinsing with cold water to close the pores and then a little aftershave.

Sounds like a lot but from start to finish, usually takes about 5-6 minutes.  Best shaves I have ever had.  I shave every other day.
    XL BGE
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    All this razor talk, and very little blade discussions! @SGH what are your go to blades?  I tried Feathers and they were far too aggressive.  I ended up going with Gillette 7 o’clock blades, and find that they are just right.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• SGH
    SaltySam said:
    All this razor talk, and very little blade discussions! @SGH what are your go to blades?  I tried Feathers and they were far too aggressive.  I ended up going with Gillette 7 o’clock blades, and find that they are just right.  

My go to blade 9 out of 10 times is Feather. But I have worked my way up to them. With that said, I keep Gillette 7 o’clocks, Astra and Shark on hand. I mostly use the Sharks in my shavette. 
    If I use the R41 it’s a given that I use a Feather. If I use a different razor I will rotate through the other blades I mentioned. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mgoblue0484
    mgoblue0484 Posts: 148
    @SGH I have the Muhle R89 and have been using it for a few years now. I really enjoy the whole shaving experience. I haven't tried soap, let alone mixing it with cream. You've peaked my interest there. I' ve wanted to get a straight razor for my lines (I have a beard). Is there one you'd recommend? I have Astra blades that use. They are alright. I've heard the feathers are sharp. I haven't used pre-shave oil in awhile, do you really think it helps? Thanks for helping me spend more money.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• SGH
    @SGH I have the Muhle R89 and have been using it for a few years now. I really enjoy the whole shaving experience. I haven't tried soap, let alone mixing it with cream. You've peaked my interest there. I' ve wanted to get a straight razor for my lines (I have a beard). Is there one you'd recommend? I have Astra blades that use. They are alright. I've heard the feathers are sharp. I haven't used pre-shave oil in awhile, do you really think it helps? Thanks for helping me spend more money.
    If I were to but a new straight, I would go with a Dovo or Boker. For the price they are hard to beat. 
    As far as preshave oil, absolutely it helps. With that said, I think that using Cremo in place of the oil works even better. Plus it’s much, much cheaper. Cremo does not lather, simply wipe some over your face and lather over it with soap. Works like a charm. 

Using the Cremo instead of oil works better in my opinion. And it’s much cheaper. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    They have killed one of my threads and sank this one. 

Status- Standing by.

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    SGH said:
    They have killed one of my threads and sank this one. 
    Buffalo uses disposables. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I use cremo cooling in the shower.  Rub a small amount into my wet face after everything else and shave away.  If I run out of shave cream, I use hair conditioner, very slick as well.
  • SGH

If I didn’t like you so much I would call you a bad name for that brother Double. 

Status- Standing by.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    SGH said:

If I didn’t like you so much I would call you a bad name for that brother Double. 
    I’m just trying to find out what shaving apparatus was used here
  • I didn’t know you were on reddit...

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    @SGH bro, do you even shave? =)
  • SGH
    @SGH bro, do you even shave? =)
    Brother, do I shave. At least twice a day. If time allows I sneak in a late night shave as well. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH

I didn’t know you were on reddit...

I get around brother Tex =)

Status- Standing by.

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    For an adjustable why do you mention futur and the Parker but not the Merkur progress?  I have my eye on the progress but open to your expert opinion sgh ;)