Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pig head tacos

Options
picked up a whole pig head at a nearby carniceria. Decided to make tacos. Cooked it indirect at 275 for several hours. Kicked it up to 400 to finish. The skin turned out super crispy. I chopped it up and mixed it in with the meat. Fun cook!

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    This should say it all my friend. 

Simply an outstanding cook and stellar looking grub.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    picked up a whole pig head 

This is perfection personified ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    Options
    Whoa! The SGH seal of approval. Thanks brother!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I want to do this cook soooo much, but Wilma would give me no end of grief for cooking a face.  She never goes out of town, either.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Darn fine cook brother Clark.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Title got my attention! Nicely done!

So where do you put the temp gauge or how do you tell when it is done? Would love to do this.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,367
    Options
    That hog has had a good shave!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    good looking cook my friend
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great cook and result.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,592
    Options
    Great post..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,360
    Options
    Wow!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Awesome cook and presentation!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,786
    Options
    A great cook right there 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    You did a great job on that cook. I still like to pretend meat comes from a magic forest vs opening up the grill to see a face looking up at me but maybe one day I’ll grow a pair and give this a try 
  • bclarksicle
    Options
    Matt86m said:

So where do you put the temp gauge or how do you tell when it is done? Would love to do this.

Didnt use a leave-in thermometer. I just cooked it to about 200. There’s so much fat in it that I wasn’t too worried about overcooking it, but I wanted to make sure I got crisp skin.

I scored the skin which really helped render out the fat. I did spritz it occasionally ally toward the end. Took about 6 hours in total.
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Matt86m said:

Didnt use a leave-in thermometer. I just cooked it to about 200. There’s so much fat in it that I wasn’t too worried about overcooking it, but I wanted to make sure I got crisp skin.

I scored the skin which really helped render out the fat. I did spritz it occasionally ally toward the end. Took about 6 hours in total.

Thank you. I really want to do this one day.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    I want to do this cook soooo much, but Wilma would give me no end of grief for cooking a face.  She never goes out of town, either.
    I got a good laugh out of "cooking a face" @Fred19Flintstone
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Okay, great, you cooked a pig's face. Am I the only one who wants to see the tacos? =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bclarksicle
    Options
    Okay, great, you cooked a pig's face. Am I the only one who wants to see the tacos? =)
    Ha, I admit I forgot to actually take a pic of the completed taco. But all the ingredients are on the board. Corn tortilla, onions, cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice is all you need.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Well then... no pics, didn't happen. :rofl:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut