Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chocolate Pots de Creme: recipe from Butt Blast

Options

Comments

• randerson1126
    Options

Did my first run at chocolate pots today. They are a winner. Will be doing these many many more times. 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    CTMike said:
    DMW said:
    GregW said:
    I made the recipe and mine did not turn out as well as I would have liked.
    They were very dense and sweet. Maybe using a chocolate that was a little less bitter would have helped.
    To the people with more experience with the recipe, do they turn out really dense for you?
    I'm sure I must have done something wrong on my end.

They're suppose to be dense.  It's not pudding.  
    Yep, these are dense. Maybe you were expecting more of a  mouse texture?
    I've never eaten mouse before @dmw, but I never would have figured a mouse to be dense.
    Jerry was pretty freakin' smart...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I wonder how long you could keep these in the fridge???  I know the short answer is they wont last past a day or two, because they are so freaking good.  I know a "snack pack" lasts years, but...
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I wonder how long you could keep these in the fridge???  I know the short answer is they wont last past a day or two, because they are so freaking good.  I know a "snack pack" lasts years, but...
    I think a week is no problem.  Two at the most.  Past that I suspect they start going downhill, but truth be told I’ve never tried it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I have one left from my last batch. Has to be 3-4 weeks old.  I'll do some research tonight and report back.  I think I posted it here or texted you John.  
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I think a week is no problem.  Two at the most.  Past that I suspect they start going downhill, but truth be told I’ve never tried it.
    One of the fringe benefits of SV is that it effectively pasteurizes while cooking.  As long as you shock cold (ice bath vs ambient cooling), SV processed food keeps considerably longer than their counter parts cooked using traditional methods.

Pro-tip: to make safe, raw cookie dough, pasteurize the egg before mixing the batch.  Then, eat away.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    johnnyp said:

Pro-tip: to make safe, raw cookie dough, pasteurize the egg before mixing the batch.  Then, eat away.

@johnnyp

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    thetrim said:
    One of the fringe benefits of SV is that it effectively pasteurizes while cooking.  As long as you shock cold (ice bath vs ambient cooling), SV processed food keeps considerably longer than their counter parts cooked using traditional methods.

Right.  Most of the recipes I’ve seen for these things just saw about a week in the fridge.  Probably they keep a good while, but I’ve definitely noticed a degradation in freshness for ones that I “discovered” in my fridge after awhile.  We’ll see what Yolk thinks.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Still good to me. But I ain't picky. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Your pot :plus_one:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    Mine have never made it past day 3
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Options

Giving these a whirl! Looking forward to it!

Brandon - Ohio

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Bump

• thetrim
    Options
    Found a few pots lost in the back of the fridge for quite a while.

SHAME.

I'm thinking I'll have my mother in law take a few bites then observe her for 30 mins to an hour and decide if they are still good.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Uh oh...
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    Bookmarked. This will be attempted very soon. Glad this post popped up again today!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Uh oh...

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited July 2018
    Options
    NO, YOU MUST USE REDDI-WIP!!!!!!

SCREAM!!!!!

Options
    thetrim said:
    Found a few pots lost in the back of the fridge for quite a while.

SHAME.

Talk about a party foul 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Holiday Season Bump 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Holiday Season Bump 
    Giddyup!  Haven't made these in awhile myself.  I have to get back on the stick and practice up in advance of NCBB19.
  • thetrim
    Options
    This is a totally bumpable thread.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    In laws coming over tomorrow for Christmas. 
    This'll impress them. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    In laws coming over tomorrow for Christmas. 
    This'll impress them. 

Yessir! 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina: Do you fully submerge the jars? If so, just wondering how the “finger tight” works out once under water. Thanks!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Everything I consumed from a mason jar was excellent  ;)
    Oh man - @piney had some kind of Apple pie moonshine that was incredible.
    @piney: Recipe please?!  :)
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina: Do you fully submerge the jars? If so, just wondering how the “finger tight” works out once under water. Thanks!
    Yes.

Finger tight allows some air to escape the jars, which is what you want.  You’ll see small bubbles appear and float to the surface.  Water does not get inside in any appreciable way that would be a cause for concern.
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Pots were a hit....as always. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Wife’s burfday tomorrow. Pulling this up in Publix for ingreadiants. Seems like a helpful / benificial thread to me. Thanks John for all you do ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Wife’s burfday tomorrow. Pulling this up in Publix for ingreadiants. Seems like a helpful / benificial thread to me. Thanks John for all you do ;)
    Smart man.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA