Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco Brisket Tracker

Options

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Was in Harrisburg, PA, yesterday and stopped at a Costco and saw that they are now carrying Prime Packer Briskets.  Didn't buy one but  they are $3.99/pound.  Will be buying one soon at our local Lancaster, PA, Costco.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    Charleston SC 
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • BuzzinBoca
    BuzzinBoca Posts: 13
    Options
    3 primes at Cumberland (atlanta) now but none look great.  None in back per associate.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
     I live in MD and was recently in E.TX (Lindale, just north of Tyler) where I picked up 2 packers (Excel brand) at the local Walmart for ~$2.24/lb. 
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    I got a full packer from Costco in Apex N.C. for 3.99lb 2 weeks ago
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • BigGreenRam
    Options
    Picked up a prime at Costco Dunwoody yesterday.  They had a bunch
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Spotted this monster at Costco in Alpharetta. Only one.  May require and XL egg or bigger. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    As of 2 weeks ago prime packers at my CostCo were $2.99/lb.  This was amazing as this was only the second time I've seen them here. 
    Near San Francisco in California
  • Shiff
    Options
    I bought one in Lancaster, PA, yesterday and they had about 12 to choose from.  Mine was about 9 pounds but had less fat than the others and only a little hard fat.  Looking forward to cooking it next week.  The ones they had ranged from about 7 pounds to 15 pounds.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Ran over to Lancaster today and picked up 2. There were only 5 left when I got there.  Picked up a 12 & 15#. Also got 2 slabs of pork belly for pork burnt ends.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt I picked up that exact brisket in Alpharetta today.   The flat was thick and flexible, and I was just about to pull the trigger on it but changed my mind as I saw the hundreds already in my cart...

The one that got away...
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Found this at Sams Club in Woodstock. They only had the one and I got it. Looks and feels pretty good. $3.49 a lb.  They also have Prime ribeye, strips, tenderloin. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,510
    Options
    Just returned from the local Costco.  Prime packers at 3.79/lb.  Did not find any (selection of 6) worth buying as there was a lot of hard fat (not floppy) and lower quality butcher job.  Seems their brisket quality is becoming more hit or miss these days.  (No worries-two SRF's in the freezer ready to answer the call.)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GoooDawgs
    Options
    Agree @lousubcap .   Last 12.5 pounder I picked up had 4 pounds of hard fat.  End product tasted great, but their poor trimming job (possibly done on purpose) was not appreciated. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Brisket, USDA Prime, was $2.99/pound at the Bellingham WA costco today, about 10 in the cooler to choose from. Sorry no pics, I left the phone charging in the truck. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Shiff
    Options
    Same thing here in Lancaster, PA.  They must have had more than a dozen - some had a lot of hard fat but others were fine.  $2.99/pound is a great price.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • lousubcap
    Options
    $2.99/lb here today as well.  Rummaged around thru about 8 of them to find one that was reasonably trimmed of hard fat.  I echo the comment about the hard fat as that has been the norm around here for several months.  Definitely a drop in quality from my perspective.  FWIW-
    Still a great price in these parts.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options

Ressurecting (but this is the time of the year??) a somewhat dated thread as I was in the area so stopped in the local Costco to check out briskets. Prime at $3.49/lb but the trim/butchering job is as I noted back in November. I walked out 0 for 7 and asked if there were any more in the back-nope. Maybe next time. Perhaps things are better elsewhere.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options

Gotta get people focused for National Brisket Day coming up.

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GoooDawgs
    Options

@lousubcap I've been finding great floppy briskets in the Atlanta-area Costcos. Minimal trimming and great marbling. I also try to wet-age 3 or 4 weeks that really seems to helps. I agree last year the quality was declining, but I've seen an improvement.

Also I've started using the Meat Church brisket injection in all my briskets now, and I'm a believer that it's retaining juices and helping me take my cooks up another level.

Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,434
    Options
    Grandville Michigan. . . No more Costco briskets until further notice.  A meat department employee said that Texas needs them and Costco distribution is diverting their supply to Texas. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Grandville Michigan. . . No more Costco briskets until further notice.  A meat department employee said that Texas needs them and Costco distribution is diverting their supply to Texas. 
    "texas needs them"  . . thats funny . . need is a strong word, like how puerto ricans needed bottled H20 after hurricane maria . . beef & texas, lol.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Shiff
    Options
    I was at Costco today and they still had a bunch of Prime packer briskets - I think they were $3.89/lb. Nothing being diverted to Texas from here - today at least.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Columbia SC and Augusta GA.  It’s a staple
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • theeggcellentchef
    Options
    @Shiff how was the quality?  I’m only about an hour away. 
  • Shiff
    Options
    @Shiff how was the quality?  I’m only about an hour away. 

I didn't examine them thoroughly, but I did see that some had a lot of hard fat, but it looked like there were still some with less.  Probably about 10 to choose from.  I didn't want to be tempted since our freezer is full at the moment.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • theeggcellentchef
    Options
    @shiff. I am in the same predicament just cut prime strip loin into steaks and a 20 lb pork loin from haring bros so I’m short on real estate too
  • lousubcap
    Options
    If real estate is a challenge, just buy and wet age for as long as you want (no freezer space required) and then have at it.  Costco prime briskets around here are quite a crap shoot quality-wise and have been for the better part of 18-24 months.  The processing plant butchering has seen a noticeable down-turn and thus the end product.  Gems can be found but not with nearly the success rate of a while ago.  But this is not Texas so who knows.  FWIW-
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,981
    edited January 2020
    Options
    You guys can keep them. We have HEB Wagyu for $5.99 now. Prime brisket is soooo not Texas anymore :lol:
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX